Tracking our new RS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was my understanding the round steering wheel was down to the driver assistance pack as it has sensors that know when you take your hands off the wheel.

The comfort and sound pack on the UK confit doesn’t alter which wheel you get, at least on the carbon edition.

Reactions: johnmv55, Snake Pliskin, Alexlfc17 and 1 other person
Steering wheel is a drivers assistance thing, it's to do with the round one being a capacitance wheel so it knows if you let go of the steering wheel, with ACC and Lane Assist you could drive for miles fast asleep :( I dont know what it does when you let go though?
It starts making a noise after about 15 seconds similar to a seatbelt not being clipped in well my wife pfl A3 did anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmv55 and Snake Pliskin
That’s good to know…. You fit yourself or Audi? Can see myself somehow ruining it hahahaha
Done with both my S3 and TTS front grill emblem is tricky....dont be scared to have a go at it as it will probably buckle when applying pressure behind but it's going in the bin anyway....hairdryer to remove for the rest...grill emblem prise open from inside the inner circle not from the edge of the outer circle a Tip

Reactions: NevMan and Alexlfc17
Got be honest this specific car looks a little underwhelming in white + sport back form
I think the white looks nice the interior on the other hand is a very dark place to sit from the pictures

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06 and Alexlfc17
It was my understanding the round steering wheel was down to the driver assistance pack as it has sensors that know when you take your hands off the wheel.

The comfort and sound pack on the UK confit doesn’t alter which wheel you get, at least on the carbon edition.
It is odd if that's the reason because my current S3 8V has the driver assistance pack with lane assist, and a flat bottom steering wheel.
Thought I'd try it out one day to see what happens if you ignore all the beeps and warnings... turns out it stabs the brakes to try and wake you up! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: garethdj and Daggerit
All you carbon lot can pretend it's a pan-roof as you lustfully gaze upon your cars from a distance....lol l think the black roof on the sedan looks bangin....though

that’s the thing isn’t - none of the variants are perfect, there’s a compromise to be had with all of them ... LE, std, carbon, Vorsprung. They’ve all got + & -

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Mr Freeze and 2 others
I think the white looks nice the interior on the other hand is a very dark place to sit from the pictures

i think just the subtle change of making the stitching contrast in rock grey would have made a big difference ... or maybe even offered us the choice of red or green :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan and Mr Freeze
i think just the subtle change of making the stitching contrast in rock grey would have made a big difference ... or maybe even offered us the choice of red or green :tearsofjoy:
Surely the steering wheel has rock grey stitching ***...and the baseball stitching? l have never liked the stitching on the alcantara wheels...looks very like a sewing machine had done it ...one thing i did like the with the TT was it's steering exquisite= R8 steering wheel without the satellite buttons

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
that’s the thing isn’t - none of the variants are perfect, there’s a compromise to be had with all of them ... LE, std, carbon, Vorsprung. They’ve all got + & -
Yeah mate they've all got a hint FUBAR ness about them

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
It is odd if that's the reason because my current S3 8V has the driver assistance pack with lane assist, and a flat bottom steering wheel.
Thought I'd try it out one day to see what happens if you ignore all the beeps and warnings... turns out it stabs the brakes to try and wake you up! :tearsofjoy:
My Golf does that if it thinks its going to crash, first a red warning and beep, then a stab of brakes and then apparently all hell lets loose, Emergency brakes, Hazard indicators and pre tension of seat belts. My current Golf R (2017) is better programmed than my last one (2015), my 15 car didnt like quite a lot of road furniture and detested cyclists :grinning:

Reactions: NevMan

Lmao. Yeah some other models have the flat bottom wheel with the sensors in it. Bizarre why Audi never included this particular one on the RS3.

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Daggerit and 1 other person
Absolutely 100% I wanted an RS3 with black trim, B&O, black Y spokes, adaptive cruise, sports exhaust and adaptive suspension, the way the 'UK Design Tits, sorry Team' have put the packs together I end up with a Vorsprung as it's the financialy sensible thing to do

Reactions: NevMan, AndyVWR, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
I didn't want to mention it mate :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and johnmv55
STOP trying to cheer me UP......lol
You never know mate how slow car production is going contrast stitching may be available to option by the time your car is going into build :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
but that is the point !
Flat bottomed looks sportier and is what every RS model should have.
Round bottom wheels just don’t look as good.
If you’re getting a launch edition then you’re gonna have to put up with it regardless ... it just would not sit well with me as its the main contact point with the car and you see it constantly.

hence I put my money where my mouth is and went carbon edition to swerve it. It was a big concern of mine, seriously, enough to know it would bug the hell out of me.

I’ve gone for the Vorsprung so the flat bottom isn’t available. Flat bottom old style wheel vs new style wheel, for me I’m happy with the new style.

As you say it’s the main point of contact, I’d feel like I’m sat back in my 8v…

Hoping there’s a flat bottom new style available by the time my Vorsprung comes in 2024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin
My dealer told me the lack of red stitching option was due to a lack of cotton pickers for the red variant and cotton lorry drivers due to the pandemic................................

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR and Snake Pliskin
Steering wheel is a drivers assistance thing, it's to do with the round one being a capacitance wheel so it knows if you let go of the steering wheel, with ACC and Lane Assist you could drive for miles fast asleep :( I dont know what it does when you let go though?

You can get a flat bottom on an rs6 Vorsprung though, assume that has all the assistance kit

Reactions: johnmv55
That’s good to know…. You fit yourself or Audi? Can see myself somehow ruining it hahahaha

Did it on my 8v, do not buy badges from anywhere other than Audi directly. The cheap ones seem a good idea at the time! At least if you’re ocd like me!

Reactions: DRkNESS
You can get a flat bottom on an rs6 Vorsprung though, assume that has all the assistance kit

I dont know, that was the reason I read for the wheel change, as soon as you select the ACC up pops the you must add DA kit and also the round steering wheel

Reactions: NevMan and garethdj
I dont know, that was the reason I read for the wheel change, as soon as you select the ACC up pops the you must add DA kit and also the round steering wheel

I’d read that too, just doesn’t make any sense!

Reactions: johnmv55
I’d read that too, just doesn’t make any sense!

Agreed, my B9 S4 had the flat bottom with adaptive cruise and lane assist so it’s certainly possible in general.

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and garethdj
I thought the round steering wheel is apart of the Assistance pack ? or is it different for the LE cars ?

Apologies, you’re correct. Said assistance in my head but typed out c&s!!! *** sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Freeze, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
My dealer told me the lack of red stitching option was due to a lack of cotton pickers for the red variant and cotton lorry drivers due to the pandemic................................

wtf pmsl :tearsofjoy:
was he being serious ? :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan, johnmv55 and Mr Freeze
This is from Audi world forum and explains why the steering wheel changes from flat bottomed!
Audi just a bit slow in filtering down new tech to RS3 flat bottom wheel - no excuses really Audi!
Maybe if there is a FL 8Y, it will have it then?
The new capacitive wheel allows Audi to not have to use the torque sense method of hand on wheel detection, which is not particularly good. Then again, the capacitive wheel won't be much good either if it doesn't monitor all 360 degrees of the wheel.

Active lane assist and such things have been around since the 2015 Q7 (4M) release, but used that torque sense method. And that's been used until the capacitive wheel with the e-tron in 2018. In 2020, Audi rolled the functionality out to the rest of the lineup, though not sure about the TT. The A3 seems to have it starting with the type GY release. But the recent TSB about hands on detection problems (2061932/2) does not refer to the A3. Probably because we don't have the type GY A3 in the US yet (I assume).

So heated and flat bottom got dropped for vehicles equipped with such driver assistance functionality like active lane assist and traffic jam assist. Because heated is not compatible (yet?) and the only wheel they have is round (recently amended only for the RS6/RS7 so far).

Reactions: NevMan, johnmv55, garethdj and 2 others
This is from Audi world forum and explains why the steering wheel changes from flat bottomed!
Audi just a bit slow in filtering down new tech to RS3 flat bottom wheel - no excuses really Audi!
Maybe if there is a FL 8Y, it will have it then?

That’s a good explanation, and puts to bed my argument about my S4 having a flat bottom and ACC.

Reactions: NevMan, johnmv55, garethdj and 1 other person
**UK LAUNCH EDITION???**

Portsmouth Audi’s RS3 according to this guy on Facebook

one clear change I can see is the silver badgers instead of black
Hmmm!
Silver badges! Supposed to be black?
and black fin antenna - aren’t these normally body colour?

I know it’s early but any chance someone knows the ROUND steering wheel diameter for a disklok?

Agreed. We’ve lost the true ability to spec the car exactly how you would want from the options available, with the first round of limitations them removing some options from the uk market altogether.

I would forgive them a little if it was to help them make them quickly but I won’t prod that nerve with a stick.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin and NevMan
I know it’s early but any chance someone knows the ROUND steering wheel diameter for a disklok?

they haven’t made a disclok that BIG yet :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Alexlfc17, Mr Freeze, johnmv55 and 1 other person
Hmmm!
Silver badges! Supposed to be black?
and black fin antenna - aren’t these normally body colour?
The black fin antenna was introduced in 2018 on black edition 8v models guess it's continued on to edition models/sport models on the 8y

I think I might go 'ghost' with my RS3, on my Golf I fitted a switch that interferes with a relay coil supply that stops it starting, the good thing about doing your own immobiliser is only you know where it is and what it actually does.
The problem with trackers etc is the 'real' bad boys know where the tracker companies fit them and generally remove them pretty handy.
Could be an interesting new thread. might start one :)

Red and black
ee674878087898f2969c2be2b335f9f7.png

b9c0810709b5a863dba3b52b1c407bf6.png

448601c22c5652569ecd50a5ce38ed7d.png

ddfe4cb2b01b20a52c199851b1a429bb.png

4881e7468d10a81483a679acc089bab9.png

50931b33d4dd9bf6cf1d10b4586c4437.png

Reactions: garethdj, Keano04, Jcbmally and 4 others

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-100930_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-100930_Instagram.jpg