Traction control / ESP problem

Yeah mate goes back to all those years ago when they done an advert of a car crashing because it had cross ply and radial tyres on the same axle.
As far as I’m aware you can’t buy cross ply tyres anymore and they’re all radial tyres.
The rest of it is true regarding unpredictable handling etc with different brands on the same axle

Ah right every day is a school day, cheers :)

Well I was correct in the sense that it isn’t safe as such, but just not on the legalities part haha!

Just making sure

I have the staggered setup on my car, the 255/30 are supposed to be in the front right? And the 235/35 in the back.

If that’s the case, then whoever put my wheels on switched them up. Lol

thought so! :wtf:

okay, so i guess ill get them switched

Reactions: AudiNutta
That’s awful! At least we know the 255’s fit on the rear now haha.

Haha yea! Wrong tire and switched wheels, great job tbh.. I hope this has nothing to do with the ESP problem I’m having

Reactions: AudiNutta
It’s common the ESP is overactive on all of these cars..

It’s ridiculous tbh.

sport mode every time I drive the car, in dynamic with valves open, all the time. It’s the way the car was meant to be driven, that’s for sure :racer:

Since I need new tires ‘soon’ I was thinking about going with the mps4. On new rims. Probably some oz ultraleggera 19”. Is the go to 8,5 235/35 19”?

Since I need new tires ‘soon’ I was thinking about going with the mps4. On new rims. Probably some oz ultraleggera 19”. Is the go to 8,5 235/35 19”?

I believe they are fella, they are they same width as the pzero 255 35 19 staggered setup on some rs models

i recently bought a pfl rs3 from 2016.

I’m loving the car, a big difference from my s3 8p.

Im gonna try and explain the best way I can.

I noticed straight away when I drove my car that something was wrong. When accelerating the ESP light flashes, especially when I floor it. Feels like the car is only using 40-50% of its power, when the ESP is flashing. And that’s in all gears from 1st to 5th. Douring accelration it pulls to either side as well, like the car won’t go straight. This is with the ESP on. As soon as I turn ESP off the car pulls and accelerates like it should.

My first thought was the Haldex pump problem, which I know is a known issue.

My car is at Audi atm. They still haven’t figured out whats wrong.

Does this sound like the Haldex problem?
Same thing happened with mine 67 reg rs3, tell audi to do a differential update, i mentioned this and the service advisor didnt have a clue, but then the tech manager spoke to me and said there is an update available for the abs (dont quote me on the exact words or terms he used) but my car has been back so far so traction issues

Same thing happened with mine 67 reg rs3, tell audi to do a differential update, i mentioned this and the service advisor didnt have a clue, but then the tech manager spoke to me and said there is an update available for the abs (dont quote me on the exact words or terms he used) but my car has been back so far so traction issues
Dm me if u want i can explain, but they carried out the update for me
When it was in for service but they were hesitant to do it but i pushed them till they did, rhey told me they cannot see any faults with the traction or in general, but make sure they do this regardless as they were trying to give my car back without doing this - but it was an abs update im sure the tech said

My 2018 FL saloon done this and it turned out to be the garage had fitted the wrong pirelli tyres to the rear. They fitted AO tyres while i had R02 on the front. They replaced the rears for Pirelli R02’s and the problem stopped

it’s been 4 months now and It hasn’t done it again (Touch wood)

There is an update file for the ABS module that helps sort this out.

My 2018 FL saloon done this and it turned out to be the garage had fitted the wrong pirelli tyres to the rear. They fitted AO tyres while i had R02 on the front. They replaced the rears for Pirelli R02’s and the problem stopped
it’s been 4 months now and It hasn’t done it again (Touch wood)
Same happened to me and from an Audi main dealer, they mixed RO and AO Tyres and caused me problems. If you run a staggered setup the only correct tyre is the RO1/RO2 tyres (Currently only Pirelli or Continental IIRC) which are radius-matched, non-standard size. If you want to have a wider range of tyres or the most modern ones then you need a square setup, which is what I did and the problem went away. No noticeable detriment to the handling either.

You can get the same effect with a worn tyre against a new one. Audi do lay down tread depth difference limits that apply to all Quattro cars but the RS3 seems more prone to it and it does not help if you use the wrong tyre to start with.

Reactions: Madmo