Traction Control

Brumbrum1

Reaction score
On the rare occasion that I put my foot down from a standing start, especially if the road is damp, I obviously trigger the traction control, which is to be expected.
However, in my car, when this happens its like someone is repeatedly hitting the dashboard as hard as they can.
The whole dash shakes and the noise is horrendous.
Happened yesterday and Mrs Brum thought we had hit something.
Is this normal ?

In my car it is barely noticeable. Though my car is only 116hp so maybe that is why, but on my previous 8P it was noticeable but not as nearly as you've described it. Did you check if your discs are warped maybe?

In my car it is barely noticeable. Though my car is only 116hp so maybe that is why, but on my previous 8P it was noticeable but not as nearly as you've described it. Did you check if your discs are warped maybe?
Thanks Rideen.
My car maintenance begins and ends with putting fuel in.

Reactions: Tom.H and GW1
Hi Brum,

Mine has done this twice now, its only on big thud each time & its only done it when i have 3 passengers, 1st time i thought id hit a big pot hole, second time, yesterday, im now thinking about getting it back to Audi as it sounds like the clutch not engaging properly, both times its happened in 1st gear of manual mode as i flick it into 2nd.

Anyone else had this on their 2017 S3 tiptronic??

On the rare occasion that I put my foot down from a standing start, especially if the road is damp, I obviously trigger the traction control, which is to be expected.
However, in my car, when this happens its like someone is repeatedly hitting the dashboard as hard as they can.
The whole dash shakes and the noise is horrendous.
Happened yesterday and Mrs Brum thought we had hit something.
Is this normal ?

It sounds like axle tramp. If the car is standard, perhaps there is a problem with the electronics somewhere?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hi JM
It hadn't crossed my mind that the issue could be the gearbox but thinking about it I haven't seen the traction control light flash and its so intrusive I really don't think its as it should be.
It happens to me in auto mode.
I'm going to try and replicate it intentionally and if I get the same issue I think I'll give the dealer a call.

Hi JM
It hadn't crossed my mind that the issue could be the gearbox but thinking about it I haven't seen the traction control light flash and its so intrusive I really don't think its as it should be.
It happens to me in auto mode.
I'm going to try and replicate it intentionally and if I get the same issue I think I'll give the dealer a call.

Brum,

Im going out with another couple tomorrow eve, i will try it then, that is the 1 & only think i can fault with mine, both times it s***t me up, thought there was a major problem, a friend of mine has a 17 Golf R & he says it does it just as the traction control kicks in, i dont cane my car but the few times i have its banged, in a way im glad someone else has had this, still a little concerned tho.

It's the car slipping and then stopping slipping aggressively. Happens in most performance cars when it really really wants to spin but it refuses to let it.

If you turn traction off you'll not have the issue, the wheels will just spin up nicely and you'll finish with a big smile, or in hospital...

Used to HAVE to turn traction off in my Polo GTI rocket in the wet as it spun at absolutely anything and would just shunt

It sounds like you need to improve your driving skills; -)

I assume the traction control is on when this happens? But sounds to me like axle tramp aswell, like a banging noise and thuds through the car? Issue being that if the traction control is on, it shouldn't really happen as the electrics should kill the power before it happens. If it is happening, it's probably a fault somewhere... With TC off, then you're always going to get that with a front driver when you try and drop all 190hp through two contact patches... it'll be worse when dry.

Sounds a lot like what I experienced when my haldex was goosed. Front of car was bouncing like a boogar!

I assume the traction control is on when this happens? But sounds to me like axle tramp aswell, like a banging noise and thuds through the car? Issue being that if the traction control is on, it shouldn't really happen as the electrics should kill the power before it happens. If it is happening, it's probably a fault somewhere... With TC off, then you're always going to get that with a front driver when you try and drop all 190hp through two contact patches... it'll be worse when dry.
Hi Mark
Thanks for your thoughts.
Traction control is always on.
Your description is very accurate - a loud bang / thud that shakes the whole dash.
I'm going to find a quiet lane somewhere at the weekend and floor it from standstill and see what happens.
Come to think of it - I don't think I have ever seen a traction control light come on.
In my last car (TT) when the wheels lost grip a yellow indicator light flashed on as the electronics limited the wheel spin.

Reactions: Mark_86
Axle tramp is more the car gaining then losing grip in pulses. I had it on my old Focus ST after modifying it to stage 2 but got rid of it by fitting an uprated lower gearbox torque mount, to reduce engine movement. On the Audi it could be an electronics issue and not necessarily the TC being faulty. Try not to do it too much or you can damage the driveshafts.

My car does this and sometimes without flooring it but accelerating sharply. I assumed this was normal? The stability light comes on but it makes a huge loud bang.. bang.. bang and the power drops massively.

Axle tramp is more the car gaining then losing grip in pulses. I had it on my old Focus ST after modifying it to stage 2 but got rid of it by fitting an uprated lower gearbox torque mount, to reduce engine movement. On the Audi it could be an electronics issue and not necessarily the TC being faulty. Try not to do it too much or you can damage the driveshafts.

l had on my Focus ST3......Happens all the time with front wheel drive performance cars l am afraid.....but you really really had to be booting it from a stand still for it to kick in....not a nice sensation

l had on my Focus ST3......Happens all the time with front wheel drive performance cars l am afraid.....but you really really had to be booting it from a stand still for it to kick in....not a nice sensation

Yeah same with my ST3 aswell, although a decent set of Eagle F1's, limited slip diff and new engine and gearbox mount did wonders... miss that car!

Yeah same with my ST3 aswell, although a decent set of Eagle F1's, limited slip diff and new engine and gearbox mount did wonders... miss that car!
Same here mate loved driving it

Yeah the LSD was the only thing I needed on mine.