Davill9

Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact capacity of the transfer box off the gearbox…

so far most people that apparently know about vwag have told me it is connected to gearbox and fills from gearbox but I can guarantee you it doesn’t
Especially after buying the oil seals already for gearbox to transfer box and transfer to gearbox
-yes two Independent seals on the mounting face

and a lot of forums saying the same with issues after draining transfer and filling just gearbox
The attached pics will clear that myth up so…

I want to re fill with the millers motorsport 75w80 to correct level before re fitting and as I cannot be sure what is level off the car, I want to drain flush and refill now while off the car with correct level.
Does anyone have exact level needed?

have been told 1L, 0.9l and 1.2L - only one can be right
Atm opie oils are my best bet at 0.9l
Audi and tps are saying 1.2 and 1L respectively
So very conflicting

forgot to add car is hatchback manual s3 early 2008

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Well oil for 150k almost is looking great. Dark as expected but near 0 bits of metal anywhere.
doesn’t look anywhere near 1L though

before I flush, I will accurately measure what came out though as speculation is never correct

if anyone can help me with the fill amount, which I now see could probably be done easier than any suggestions over the years through the top air vent from above in situ I guess as it is on top and downward
Still filling now before re fitting though jic but when re fitted, I will let people know if it is an easier way
Ie/ open fill bolt once drained ,
Fill through top vent till oil comes out the fill hole,
Tighten fill hole.

for future ref when doing job in situ - vent location is in second picture- the black plastic cap in top centre of box.
I am replacing seals etc now so will need to fill over next few hrs I think with any suggestions welcome before it’s done and back on the car.

Attachments

• 4931FD7A-7373-47A2-9DD6-9F6E48E654C8.jpeg
    4931FD7A-7373-47A2-9DD6-9F6E48E654C8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 26D1C617-39A7-4412-861C-29529104EC9C.jpeg
    26D1C617-39A7-4412-861C-29529104EC9C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
If the box is overfilled the oil will come out of the vent hole when driving. Best get it correct.

Reactions: Davill9
If the box is overfilled the oil will come out of the vent hole when driving. Best get it correct.
Yes mate it will and make a stinky mess.

This is why I’m trying to get the exact right level they should have in them not just the …roughly 1L answer I keep getting

from factory they are pre filled and not filled until weeping out the fill hole so trying to do the same as factory fill you see

0.95L is the actual answer 75w80 or same as rear diff- 75w90 is also fine.
I used millers trx to flush and millers motorsport 75w80.
checked exact amounts came out. Chrcked exactly how much to fill until starts weeping out the fill hole (completely drained upside down over night and carb cleanered when apart to re seal/shim etcso I guess if still residue of oil in there - 0.9L.
About to do a write up for this, full gearbox seal replacement/input shaft shimming & bearing replacement if people wanted ?

also called bevel box on Bentley manuals for another Google search word.