TT project thread....

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Hi all.

Not posted here before due to being an 8L S3 owner....

However, I have now bought a TT, mainly for the missus to drive about, but also for when I sell the S3.

So...

I went out and bought a project car basically. A TT Quattro 180.

Here it is:

tt1.jpg

tt2.jpg

The car was bought for a steal at £2500. The whole car was blown over in April 2010 meaning the paint work is in exceptional condition.

So, the 20VT and the Quattro platform are new to me fortunately.

She did have a few problems and that is why it's so cheap - a knocking on the front suspension, and a wheel bearing issue. It also needed a bit of tidying up under the engine bay really.

I will up some photos of my work so far, however the knocking on the front suspension is now sorted. Turned out to be a loose atlas bush bolt which took about 3 seconds to find and fix.

Removed the driver's side hub last night to inspect the bearing, and that was completely shafted... Hub has gone with my mate for a new bearing today.

Other bits and bobs about it? Well, it didn't have a head unit, but does have a BOSE converter which is most useful... So I have slung an old head unit of mine in there. Sounds quite impressive actually, and I am considering doing the same with the S3 as well.

Needs a good clean inside!

Only a few things remaining until I am happy to unleash it on the road....

Thermostat,
Wheel hub refit,
Finding the boost leak it has and resolving,
Wheel alignment.

Not sure what long terms plans are yet, however I might well go for a K04 hybrid inside a K03 chassis which is proven for 310 BHP+.

Watch this space...

No problems duder, I shall get some snaps when I refit the wheel hub (tomorrow night most likely as the missus has demanded some of my time tonight - lol)

Nice little project there, ill keep an eye on it to see if there is anything i can do to mine haha

Dazz

OK, so the wheel hub is now refitted.....

And the noise is still there.

OK, so let me give you the basics...

Loud humming, grindy sound which gets worse with speed. Definitely a rotational noise.

Minorly affected by turning whilst driving. Not affected at all by dipping clutch, coming out of gear etc etc. If the wheels are doing over X speed, then she's humming.

Naturally, you would think wheel bearing, as I did. But it's not. Just changed the bearing yesterday and refitted to find the noise worse than before....

I know what I think it is, well, one of three possibilities. I just wanted other opinions....

Thoughts anyone?

OK, will take some photos tonight I promise.... I keep forgetting due to the need I have to just get on with it.

Last night, removed driver's side wheel hub as I am going to have the bearing replaced in that for good measure. It does sound grindy and unhappy, as well as giving some vibration through the shock when the wheel is being turned.

Removed the NSF driveshaft, inspected and repacked the inner CV joint and refitted.

Did the thermostat as that was a requirement.... completely knackered.

Finally, did the N249 delete as I suspect some boost loss was occurring from the pipes there. Have done away completely with the SAI control, and will remove the SAI and combi valve completely when I have time.

Have also spotted that the dipstick shroud has snapped. No big shock there. New one ordered and will arrive today.... getting there I think.

OK, so due to temp flutuations etc, I decided I wanted to be 100% sure that it wasn't the water pump thaat had gone south....... So I bought a new belt and pump.

After much messing about with it on Friday night, changing and testing thermostats etc, and getting all sorts of funky readings about water temp from the instruments, I decided to do the belt and pump Saturday just to be sure.

Well, it's done, but what an utter bum hole job. S3's belts are tight, but the TT is even tighter. Not to mention that it's a K03 engine and has all the stupid 'Pancake pipe' intercooler pipework in the way. However it gave me a good opportunity to get the pipe work off and give it a good clean out.... A fair bit of oil in there, but that's to be expected in honesty.

It's now had a full service (excluding fuel filter which I MUST do), cam belt and pump. Sweet.

With the belt done, new thermostat fitted, and water system filled, I was confident that the problem now wasn't engine side (I know it's not the Coolant Sensor as swapped the S3's over). However, the dash still claims intermittently that tthe water temp is in excess of 121C... which it just isn't. Broke out VAG COM and logged down the road to find out that the water temp is actually 87c (thermostat temp) and that the instruments are just lying. The dash can and will often be at 130c, with the REAL temp down at 87c.

Annoying... Must be the dash pod really.

Then fitted my new TT 225 Blue Flame full stainless 3" full system I got for it. Purchased from a mate for £150.... Now THATS a steal... lol.

This is the system:

ttexhaust.jpg

Annoyingly I lost out on a twin exit rear valence on ebay, sso have had to 'Modify' mine for the time being.... It will do for now but needs doing.

Anyway, this is the before and after:

ttexhaustoriginal.jpg

After:

ttexhaustfitted.jpg

Mating the flange from a 2.5" system to a 3" system was a bit of a biatch.... lol.

Anyway, I now need to extract the dash pod and send the damn thing away to be fixed.....

Yay.

Love it! looks rude boy!

OK, so in my everlasting quest to get an accurate dash temp reading - I did some diag and bits last night.

Starting with using VAG COM to review the actual temp that the Dash/CC panel are getting from the CTS.

Using VAG COM, and logging measuring block 003 on Instruments, I can see the reading that the dash controller is getting from the sensor. The reading is the same as the CC panel and the dash, meaning that the gauge is fine.

Thats a bonus - no dash pod issue here.

However there is something weird going on....

Battery tray off and I stripped most of the engine loom last night to chck the purple wire that feeds the dash - no breaks or issues anywhere engine side. I have also pulled the earths and cleaned them all up nicely. This has brought the problem under control - instead of the temperature being 26 deg + out, it has now dropped to 10 deg or less out.

This means that the dash stays in the 90 degree window as it should. BUT it is not a fix as there is still an issue there. Observations are that the signal isn't stable, it does fluctuate by several degrees a second in either direction, leading me to think that this is definately a wiring issue.

Interesting that cleaning the earths up has has an impact also.

Next stop for checking - the plugs under the scuttle panel....

Stay tuned for more....