TT-RS vs RS3

RMJ891

Reaction score
Hi all

Just curious... I was wondering what people's motivations on here are behind opting for an RS3 as opposed to waiting for the inevitable TT-RS that will probably come along late this year or early next?

There are, of course, two obvious ones being:

1) Waiting another year (or more) and
2) Needing 5 seats (Jose, I believe this is you?!),

but were the TT-RS available now, would anyone have any other reasons for not choosing it instead?

In my opinion it will be (on the basis of it being a smaller coupe based on the TT-S) more sporty and potentially better looking (and just as LOUD), so wondered what your thoughts were?

can't stand the TT Dash - cancelled my TTS order because of that - oh and need 5 seats ideally!

Reactions: 45bvtc and josedebardi
I would be all over a TT-RS Convertible, but;
1. I hate the driver only screen in the new TT. All too often I want the passenger to do something so I can concentrate on driving. The new Q7 seems to have solved this though.
2. I need 5 doors! (Though I could have had a 5dr beater + a fun TT-RS)
3. I'm not sure a hardcore TT-RS will come in anything other than coupe form - and for me, little sports cars are only good if the roof comes off, otherwise you may as well have a 5dr hatchback with it's extra practicality

If it wasn't for the screen issue I would have been pretty tempted to hold out and get a beater 5dr as above, it seems a small thing but I know it would really bug me!

can't stand the TT Dash - cancelled my TTS order because of that - oh and need 5 seats ideally!

Glad it's not just me. Audi took a leap with that, but I've not had 1 person say they like it, and like you and I, we have actively chosen not to buy the car based on it! I wonder if they will do a facelift with an optional pop up screen in the centre like the A3 has - it would be a big update so early in lifecycle but they must know it was a mistake by now?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Who cares, buy one of everything - no pockets in shrouds and yer can't take it with you thou' some have tried - but make sure it includes a fabulous Audi A2 3-pot diesel with oooooodles of torque's 'cos they're like a bl**dy manic go kart and fun, fun, fun...

P1000526mod_zps0v05v56y.jpg

Oh Yeah!!! :yahoo:

You just DO NOT have to buy everything 'cos it's bl**dy NEW. Take a look back over thy shoulder and you'll find some fabulous F U N cars back there for C R A Z Y silly money that'd keep your NEW beastie safe and still you'd laughing...

For example: our A2's 11-years old, costs £30 to tax, does way over 50-mpg, is all aluminum and plastics so won't rot, and Audi lost a bundle on each and everyone as they were way over engineered.

Get an Audi A2; of the three it may be the last one I'd part with...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
I've not tried the new TT screen but have to say that I'm normally slapping my girlfriend's wrists as she tries to fiddle with things in my S1, so maybe I would quite like it!! :)

I don't think they'll concede on the virtual dash per se - as it's already springing up elsewhere - but agree that another screen may find its way back in addition.

The after-market ipad look of some manufacturers (Mercedes) is woefully ugly, though, and they'd need something sleeker, like an advancement of the pop up on the A3 type cars, as you say.

I've not tried the new TT screen but have to say that I'm normally slapping my girlfriend's wrists as she tries to fiddle with things in my S1, so maybe I would quite like it!! :)

I don't think they'll concede on the virtual dash per se - as it's already springing up elsewhere - but agree that another screen may find its way back in addition.

The after-market ipad look of some manufacturers (Mercedes) is woefully ugly, though, and they'd need something sleeker, like an advancement of the pop up on the A3 type cars, as you say.

The Q7 has virtual cockpit plus a popup screen. I wonder if they added the screen late in development after complaints about the TT!

I'm normally slapping my girlfriend's wrists as she tries to fiddle with

HELLO: P L E A S E: this is a family viewed forum and I'm now past the three-score years and ten and counting...

Reactions: RMJ891 and josedebardi
Decided I'm off to bed early; "girlfriends wrists as she tries to fiddle with" is way too much for me; no way I can compete with that....

SANDRA, you need to put a stop to this...

Buy whatever you want, this is way over for me...
JC_ThankYou_zps7b0cb81f.gif

I had a Tt rs up until feb this year. Adored the car! However new of a new arrival meant a bigger car was needed. I loved the engine in the TT rs so the rs3 was the next logical step for me

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'd be inclined to wait for the TT.

One of the things I disliked about the S3 was the poor seating position, the RS3 won't have done anything to remedy that whatsoever.
Needs buckets. Super Sports do not come close to cutting it!