TTRS Steering Wheel Retrofit

I think you might have to do a “how to “ it looks so niceee I’m tempted ...

Amazing, I’m soooo tempted!

It's not the hardest thing to do. Figuring out what to do was the hardest part. The actual swap only took about 3-4 hours.

The cost is fairly high for what you get though haha.

It's not the hardest thing to do. Figuring out what to do was the hardest part. The actual swap only took about 3-4 hours.

The cost is fairly high for what you get though haha.

That’s what I thought, I believe coding and finding the parts would be the hardest bit.
When you say costs ar high.... it scares my wallet... i already have mib2 retrofitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s what I thought, I believe coding and finding the parts would be the hardest bit.
When you say costs ar high.... it scares my wallet... i already have mib2 retrofitted

Well that's good then. I started with the MIB1 so getting the 2 made up about half of the cost.

You could probably source all the parts for around $1500 id say.

You'd need:
-Cluster
-Bracket for cluster
-32pin connector on the back of the cluster
-Trim bezel
-0.0 trip button
-Steering column trim
-MOST cable
-Infotainment cable

Then you would need to find a shop with ODIS to remove Component Protection from the cluster and program keys, and then VCDS could do the rest of the coding. It's pretty simple.

Well that's good then. I started with the MIB1 so getting the 2 made up about half of the cost.

You could probably source all the parts for around $1500 id say.

You'd need:
-Cluster
-Bracket for cluster
-32pin connector on the back of the cluster
-Trim bezel
-0.0 trip button
-Steering column trim
-MOST cable
-Infotainment cable

Then you would need to find a shop with ODIS to remove Component Protection from the cluster and program keys, and then VCDS could do the rest of the coding. It's pretty simple.

I did my mib2 Retrofit myself, it’s not perfect as I brought it from someone else that had it Retrofitted to his car and I’m having difficulties in getting menus in mmi to work but car play etc it’s working, so I guess my next step once I finish this retrofit will be the vc . You did all coding for vc yourself?

Can you talk to the MMI with VCDS? That is crucial. The MMI has to be set up properly to be able to display the maps on the VC. Most of the basic functions would work no matter what, but the maps will not. I can try to assist with this if you ever try to do the swap.

I did all of the coding for the cluster myself. Most of it is just check boxes in long coding, but there are a few adaptation channels that have to be changed, and in a specific order.

I did my mib2 Retrofit myself, it’s not perfect as I brought it from someone else that had it Retrofitted to his car and I’m having difficulties in getting menus in mmi to work but car play etc it’s working, so I guess my next step once I finish this retrofit will be the vc . You did all coding for vc yourself?

Silly question but I take it you fitted the new MMI 2 high controller too?

Silly question but I take it you fitted the new MMI 2 high controller too?

Hi yes i fitted MiIB2 , centre console controller and usb cable and socket
b7d17f14fc950bb448d1c8a0d99fb6a7.jpg

1c4ebfbff3506fac5211879b2b613df8.jpg

Reactions: Khufu
For anyone wondering, if you have the MIB1 MMI High controller, it will still work the same with the MIB2. The only difference is the top left button only says NAV instead of NAV/MAP.

My main issue is I can’t get the menus on mmi like the folding mirrors and central locking etc

8d6ca38efeb26d1f255e102eaef87879.jpg

It’s showing not available not sure why

For anyone wondering, if you have the MIB1 MMI High controller, it will still work the same with the MIB2. The only difference is the top left button only says NAV instead of NAV/MAP.
even though it goes from 4 buttons to 2? do 2 of them not do anything after the changed MMI unit?

My main issue is I can’t get the menus on mmi like the folding mirrors and central locking etc

8d6ca38efeb26d1f255e102eaef87879.jpg

It’s showing not available not sure why

could it be the 5F module was coded for manual mirrors or it was coded for a 3 door v a 5 door etc? You would need to check the adaptation channels.

could it be the 5F module was coded for manual mirrors or it was coded for a 3 door v a 5 door etc? You would need to check the adaptation channels.

Probably it’s that, i have vcds but not much experience on coding but I will have to dig and try

Everything works fine , like folding mirrors, central locking even the beeps on opening and closing, just the menus for those options are not in mmi and they suppose to be there i beleive

if you go into the 5F infotainment module you can check what's installed for the MMI module. It may be some are not selected though usually if not then they don't appear at all. If you need to make changes you need to use a security login before going into adaptations. Just be careful what you change..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 263
if you go into the 5F infotainment module you can check what's installed for the MMI module. It may be some are not selected though usually if not then they don't appear at all. If you need to make changes you need to use a security login before going into adaptations. Just be careful what you change..

Thank you, I nearly give up on this, but I will give it another try on Friday, so I suppose I will find all that is coded in 5F?

Thank you, I nearly give up on this, but I will give it another try on Friday, so I suppose I will find all that is coded in 5F?

i'd try looking for something like

Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-tire_pressure_system_0x07_msg_bus etc, but for mirrors or central locking.

Car_Function_List_BAP channels are things that appear in the MMI menus.

there is more to it than that, some need to be assigned to correct canbus etc. You really may need help from somebody more used to VCDS.

i'd try looking for something like

Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-tire_pressure_system_0x07_msg_bus etc, but for mirrors or central locking.

Car_Function_List_BAP channels are things that appear in the MMI menus.

there is more to it than that, some need to be assigned to correct canbus etc. You really may need help from somebody more used to VCDS.

Yes definitely I will try , If I can’t i will search for help from someone more experienced, not many people will do it as I already got a few no answers as they didn’t do the retrofit they won’t touch my car.

I’m saying he should add it, not challenging him... I have VC, MMI2, center control, wireless charging, FL steering wheel, TPMS already fitted more than a year ago...

Not challenging anyone to anything here mate. Just simply making the statement that direct TPMS is no where near as complex as a steering wheel retrofit and/or VC cluster swap as OP has been working on. Also not all markets (North America being one) have direct TPMS on the 8V, hence shared the retrofit kit link in my post. Cheers.

Not challenging anyone to anything here mate. Just simply making the statement that direct TPMS is no where near as complex as a steering wheel retrofit and/or VC cluster swap as OP has been working on. Also not all markets (North America being one) have direct TPMS on the 8V, hence shared the retrofit kit link in my post. Cheers.

Ya I know, I meant my post was meant to say OP now needs TPMS and make use of the VC.. In fact, the tire shop took almost as long to install the tire sensors than me installing the module and wires...

Reactions: MarttiMat
Direct TPMS is definitely on my list. The indirect system doesn't let you know until it's too late with low profile tires. Doesn't work out too well.

Reactions: MarttiMat
Looks GREAT!! Now try to resist the temptation of changing all the LEDs to white, add TPMS etc lol I just finished mine and will be changing the front & rear bumpers/headlights to FL as well... Couldn't stop half way now lol

Did you ever get part numbers for this?

Well, Larbel was right. The “chip” from Ali express only got the View button working. Which, wasn’t a concern since I am installing the Virtual cluster anyways.

So now I am back to square one.

Do you know how easy it was to fit this cable? I’m wanting to do a fl rs3 wheel swap for my prefl rs3, just need to change the view button to menu button so it works with my dash as I’m not doing a VC swap.

I need to know if the cable above is easy to fit yourself and if it works with the fl rs3 wheel or just the ttrs wheels...

Do you know how easy it was to fit this cable? I’m wanting to do a fl rs3 wheel swap for my prefl rs3, just need to change the view button to menu button so it works with my dash as I’m not doing a VC swap.

I need to know if the cable above is easy to fit yourself and if it works with the fl rs3 wheel or just the ttrs wheels...

It all depends on how hands on you are... Remove airbag, splice a few wires and done, but beware, there're several versions around, the earlier version will disable the steering wheel brightness control, the later I believe fixed it.

Bump, did you ever finish the Start/Stop and Drive Select button retrofit?

Bump, did you ever finish the Start/Stop and Drive Select button retrofit?

I have an r8 wheel in my rs3 now. Only one guy to go see to do this - @Aoon_M in Glasgow at infinit performance. All wiring changes but it’s all kept secret :)

There are a few others as well outside the UK like Moska , the Danish guys and the greecs over at DPerformance , ok will start my project and will report what I find as well :) it has been done a few times so it is doable :)

There are a few others as well outside the UK like Moska , the Danish guys and the greecs over at DPerformance , ok will start my project and will report what I find as well :) it has been done a few times so it is doable :)

Ah yes I have seen Enrico’s work on Instagram it looks very good. Wasn’t sure about anyone else But only know about the UK :D

I have an r8 wheel in my rs3 now. Only one guy to go see to do this - @Aoon_M in Glasgow at infinit performance. All wiring changes but it’s all kept secret :)
actually I think you will find that I can do this also :)

Reactions: Mylee, RS3 S., SPIKE_ and 2 others
Still waiting on the my cluster and MIB2 to arrive, so I am getting all of the wiring and additional parts sorted out.

I have created a chart for the wiring changes needed to go to the virtual cluster, and a full parts list that is needed.

Cluster%20wiring-page-001_zps2hy4ou9v.jpg
@SweatySweater , what is this "H20 Connection 1 in OBD" exactly? I never heard about H20 :(

Hi folks - completed my MIB2 retrofit into my pre-FL S3. Only remaining issue is getting the dreaded menu/back buttons on the FL steering wheel to work.

I just flashed new gateway firmware (AM), which hasn't resolved the issue but did activate CP for the gateway (just shows up as a fault code). Any other ideas? Is the aliexpress harness REQUIRED?

TIA