Tuning S5 4.2 V8

marcusoz

Reaction score
What's the best way to tune 4.2 V8 without putting a supercharger on it???

I have changed exhaust. Will changing the air filter do much when it's all in closed anyway?

TBH, I don't believe the V8 (or any NA engine for that matter) is particularly tuneable without going down the supercharger route, remaps will probably give you gains but whether they are noticeable or not is debatable.

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong but someone like Cuppa (who has the supercharger on the V8) would likely be best placed to let you know any other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: warren_S5
Yeah supercharger looks the only way.
I was just hoping someone else had some ideas.

Thanks mate

I didn't fancy putting £10k into charging hence why I avoided the V8 S5 and came back when the coupe was re-shaped as a V6T. The V8 is still the more symphonic engine, and a glorious piece of technology, but likewise the V6T lump has it's fair share of aces up it's sleeve. I felt there was more noise that power in the V8, it didn't quite go like it sounded even though it was a properly quick. The linear delivery really masked the power after years of turbo cars.

There is so much going on under the bay I think you'd have to do major work to fit the relevant cooling system in to support turbo charging. I'm not convinced despite the compact dimensions it would all fit. Audi predominantly turbo charge all their range, so to decide to S/C the V6 rather than whack a couple of turbos on it says there may have been a few more challenges in the turbo route than the Eaton route.

With a S/C the V8 will be transformed, but only Cuppa will be able to answer that one as I've not been in one.

At a guess I'd say map, exhaust system far more conservative, possibly different cams (less aggressive). Can't be much else???

I found this on another forum:

the 4.2 engine in the rs4 is COMPLETELY different than the 4.2 s4 engine

the 4.2 s4 engine has 5 valves per cylinder , whiloe the rs4 has 4 valves per cylinder... completely different heads, different bottom ends... crank, pistons, and all that..

they are two ompletely different engines, that happen to be 4.2 liters

Copied from here:
Audi's 4.2 V8 - 6speedonline.com Forums

O'yeah nice one Magnus911, thanks for the info.

Don't think I'm going to bother trying to do anymore to it.

Thanks everyone for the in put and info.

Regards

A revo remap, full system exhaust and filter should see the V8 around 370/5bhp - only 15/20bhp increase but an increase none the less

That's about £3k for 20bhp. Whilst you shouldn't just go off the headline figure for half that money (£1.6k) you can get 150bhp on the V6T.

Reactions: ben.w93
Only just picked up this thread sorry. Yep, apart from supercharging it there's not much to be had from it apart from some very small gains.

You can slap some better plugs and coils on, race cats and exhaust, intake, carbon clean, etc. and will make a marginal improvement, but nothing major. The V6T is the engine to have to do tuning on.

But if you do plump for supercharging the V8 then it's intoxicating :D

Reactions: Shrek5, ben.w93 and warren_S5
I knew the RS4 had a different head on it, but didn't realize the bottom end was different too, I always thought about putting some of the RS4 bits on the S4 cab, think the general concencus is to do the supercharged V6, they are really responsive to tuning and can easily be running at 400+ BHP.

Cuppa - where did you get your conversion done? and did it cost £10k?

Whats the power your sitting on now?

Conversion was done at MRC Tuning in Banbury and the TTS kit is £12k.

Power after fitting was 601ps and 637Nm, not had it dynoed for a while though.

Its a TTS kit? am I being silly, but why would a tts kit go on a s5?

roughly what bhp is ur car now and do u have an idea of the 0-60?

As I'm planning on keeping the car for a good number of years this is something I think I will get done in the next 6 months or so. just what to know a bit more about what they do, what the gains are, and is it a reliable conversion.....

now I get it lol, thanks mate.

I have a look now, thanks again