Turbo Actuator D.I.Y change thread?

soldier4313

A4 Avant B9 2.0 Tdi
Reaction score
Trying to find a thread for changing the Acuator, bought one today from my local Audi stealer for £11 but have spent ages trying to find a thread/link on here on how to change it. If anyone comes across it please can you let me know. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: J3ffy
Yeah had a good read gonna give it a bash tomorrow. One question on mind is do I need to do anything with VCDS or is it just a straight swap.

not sure as I have never had to did it and don't have a tdi.

Reactions: soldier4313
Not too bad to do, remove the anti shudder valve and egr valve, then undo all the manifold bolts - not forgetting the one inside the manifold accessed through where the egr valve usually is.

The manifold will probably be built up with carbon and is a dirty messy job to clean, but worth doing if you've come this far, and will let the swirl flaps in the manifold move freely.

Then its a simple case of replacing the vacuum unit.

No need for VCDS.

Cool ordered the part today believe it or not from an Audi dealer after being told you couldn't buy it direct from a dealer for just over £14. So next weekend I'll have a bash

Interesting thread. Any chance you could photograph this as you go along. Would be good to post up for others.

Well, the seals, relevant gaskets and manifold gasket are not that much and its good practice replacing them if funds allow.

The manifold bolts are torqued to 25Nm / 18 ft lbs IIRC.

Improvised and re added picture, so glad I didn't pay the £400 that Audi wanted to change this part. Just goes to show there are some honest people in the Audi dealers that don't try to rip you off and tell you buy the part and change yourself.

sounds like a good dealers that, my local just rip your eyes out instantly

Mate the guy came out and told me straight "don't pay the £400 order the part and change it yourself" couldn't believe it. He did actually say that I didn't really have to change it at all as he had plugged to pipe with a small nut so should be ok.

Pardon my ignorance here, as the B7 may work differently to the B6, but how is the turbo even working if the vac line to the actuator has been disconnected?

Pardon my ignorance here, as the B7 may work differently to the B6, but how is the turbo even working if the vac line to the actuator has been disconnected?

Because its actually the vacuum unit which operates the flaps in the inlet manifold ports.

szvybwXdE1jptelcNZuazn3sTBkdwOUbQ0kdTKUT9zYfqnavGmrvUEa-Di2sTNB9bWTriZqj7mQOjMqaScyv3DFsaEaTP_zCoHi8WR_76u5zA_xUwOQR8o8jW2Ld37xCu3W1OB7Telz9ufHFJ8QwEjkDXvCl82-nUoE9bLA6m1SG5aiWWtFqfI_b4ktIi24coUdM-5Mvmm7iF1kyOkB4Bq9nHJ_6tiiI7yQ3JiesvDNHzMlpPzPo2BOhx5uT2ZvYPy5bF8Pe9Xa3OJA8pSTm9t-l5Bp1Tal4vzDHYec4UEb9d10Vhbcg2MKjwyl8tz7jEfx1NOzYfoADiiwOSiOJ4AG3m99NAviqZsoialuJ4m-J72XwP4fByebIn7lESF32yNoxhNE0FLnViWhFkEU7l5EGkmDXyl2eOT5m1RBO6smuFbMMn4MpgIMESVnIJfn6wLv4YMJlyR_F4-vAA7A0MNSXQamdpUZ_SyIRyd2ZDE7ZyBROhGjI7m3VJ1ZrWxDGx19yuPsdJ1E5OAVZcacC6_qM9U3eBlSdFBy_Tg31Mxqjtc53w06Y3sfUcQU2T334Y-tY=w1319-h989-no

It is, the turbo uses another vacuum actuator with a vane position sensor incorporated into it.

Well, every days a school day.

I thought the B7 turbo was the same as the B6, but bigger as people fit the 170bhp turbo to the 130pd as an upgrade.

Today's the day, finally have time and decent weather to changer the actuator. Have one question though I have been reading about the best way to clean the actuator and I used Mr Muscle on my EGR before and just wondering if it's safe to use it on the manifold?

I thought Mr Muscle was supposed to damage Aluminium.....even though I've seen plenty of people posting how well it cleans it with no adverse effects.

If you've used it on the EGR then it should be fine on the manifold!

Let us know how you get on.

Well she's done, easy enough job to do. Bare in mind the EGR valve was brand spanking new a month ago it was stinking. Sprayed the whole lot with Mr Muscle and a good shed load of elbow grease and she's all back together and running. Has it cured the Limp Mode? I don't know is the answer until I go back on another run to Birmingham.

Reactions: tony mc and carlcall
job well done by the looks of it mate, hope you have fixed it

And this is what I found when I split the actuator, think after all the problems I've had I have finally found the fault.

Dead diaphragm, had this replaced on mine in October, failed again by March :/ dam non genuine Chinese crap!

Reactions: soldier4313
Trying to find a thread for changing the Acuator, bought one today from my local Audi stealer for £11 but have spent ages trying to find a thread/link on here on how to change it. If anyone comes across it please can you let me know. Thanks in advance.
Will let you know about, to change actuator on my a3 sline 2.0 tdi 170, heard its a bit hard to get at..

Will let you know about, to change actuator on my a3 sline 2.0 tdi 170, heard its a bit hard to get at..

The actuator is easy to get to in an A4, an A3 should be too much harder with your engine rotated 90°.
But why didn't you just change your whole intake manifold for a flapless BKD one? Then the actuator and vac line us redundant and you gave no flaps to go wrong.

Job was a bit of a fiddle but done now thanks. She's alive alive.!!!

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Job was a bit of a fiddle but done now thanks. She's alive alive..