Turbo Downpipe to CAT

Mart

Reaction score
Hi people,

Hope you've all had a good Christmas, I've lent my car to my dad today, and got a phone call earlier saying that there was a problem.

He went into Kwik-Fit, and got told something along these lines:

The turbo has got detached from the CAT, or something. There was a mention of the turbo downpipe, should go into a flange, which attaches to the CAT. - Does this sound right.

Also they say driving it could damage the turbo, would you guys agree, as would rather get the car back here to be looked into by someone I trust (ie not Kwik-Fit).
It's not a hole or anything, but a clean break, as if it's come apart, no rust....

Any help would be appreciated....

thanks

The CAT attaches directly to the turbo via a fairly chunky flange, never heard of one break. With the heat generated by the turbocharger, it's very unlikely it would ever rust through.

I can only imagine the bolts have worked loose, and it's blowing.
Of course, it's not impossible for the flange to crack, especially if the bracket that secures the down pipe to the transmission is missing / not attached.

Driving it home won't cause any turbo damage, it'll however be load as hell, and would probably spit flames from the open / detached part.

The cat bolts directly to the turbocharger...

The downpipe then bolts to the CAT.

How far is it from the garage to your home? Its not really possible to break the turbo by driving it with no exhaust fitted, but driving it with a leaking exhaust over a great distance (say hundereds of miles) probably isnt a good idea, as its dumping hot exhaust gas into the engine bay.

Kwikfit are *********, so dont let them do anything to the car. If you must, take it to another garage nearby, if you cant get it home.

Thanks for this Siena.

Would it likely be just replace a bracket or something, good to know it'll cause no damage to the Turbo, what about the CAT, will this also be fine?
From what I've been told, there's no sign of damage, it's just loose, not secured to anything.

Thanks again

Yeah, not planning on letting Kwik Fit touch the car, I'd agree with you there Aragorn.
About a 100 miles to get it home again.

If all else fails, I'll get RAC to tow it back again lol, then deal with it. Pay for the service may as well use it.

Sounds like the bolts have worked loose then.

As Aragorn said, it could be a detachment at the CAT-to-turbo, or downpipe-to-CAT.
From what you say, it sounds like it's the downpipe-to-CAT that's loose / detached.

As long as it's not hanging down, and likely to catch on anything whilst driving, I'd advise your dad drives it home.

Std failiure, the cat has seperated from the flange. Will need to be re welded thats all. Easiestway is to get it tacked on in place then removed to be welded properly. Its to do with the different cooloing charceristics of the tubular pipework and the solid flange/weld etd

Good luck

If the welding don't work I have a CAT from my car I could sell you plus it happend to quite a few cars where the CAT breaks clean from the flang.

Yep car is home now, and the CAT has separated from the flange.
I don't have any welding equipment, and Audi won't weld it. LOL.

See what I can find first, otherwise prob be a new CAT.

I would say have your engine and Trans mounts check because excessive movement can cause too much stress on the exhaust causing the CAT to break.

Forget the main dealer. Just find a small local garage and take it there, i wouldnt expect to pay much more than £50 for a garage to weld the cat back together. Although a new (non-Audi) cat isnt much more than that, i baught a bosal CAT a few months back for my cars MOT and it cost about £70 from a local motor factors.

Thanks for all your help guys, a friend & me brought a welding machine from Halfords, £60 so cannot argue with that, went halves, as he was wanting one anyway, and he welded it on again for me. Seems to be holding so far.

Thanks for all your help, hope you all have a good new year.