Turbo, head removal

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
Do you need to remove the head to fit a new turbo? Was hoping it could be done from dropping the subframe. What sort of labour hours we talking?

Drop the subframe. 4 major bolts. 4 for the steering rack. Track rod ends and the odd 13mm nut for some lines that attach to it.

Inlet pipes off.

Then downpipe out. can get to the bolts for this from the drivers side wheel well.

Undo the supporting bracket on the bottom of the turbo.

Back up to the top and undo the 3 bolts holding the turbo in.

2 hours work at most.

Reactions: JonnyDerv
You're my new best friend thank you. Was hearing the head has to come off, **** doing that. Exhaust manifold would need head off wouldn't it?

I did this recently. I took the head off as I suspected other issues and I'm glad I did. Had was cracked. Surprisingly not a massive amount of work in it. Just down time without the car.

Once you've got the turbo off you can get the manifold off.

Guessing it depends on the manifold too, badger5 would be easier than a pro4 I think

I changed turbo and fitted v3 mani with head and subframe fitted, all through drivers arch and from above, I done a write up on here somewhere if you have a search...
By all accounts tho its alot easier to remove the head if you have the balls;-)

Reactions: JonnyDerv
I changed turbo and fitted v3 mani with head and subframe fitted, all through drivers arch and from above, I done a write up on here somewhere if you have a search...
By all accounts tho its alot easier to remove the head if you have the balls;-)

I haven't, I'm a little girl, it wouldn't even be me doing it

The head off is just a lot of removing small bits. I am fairly useless when it comes to technical mechanical work, but having been given a good hand doing my one I'd nearly say I could do it now, or at least give it a good go. Plus you will find out if you've any other issues, like I had with a cracked head. Better to find these things out now.