Turbo Refurb - Recommendations

scotty dugg

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi All,

So my K04 is in need of a refurb, the internal waste-gate is spinning in it's fitting and there is some play along the turbine shaft axis.

Finally found the source of my boost issues.

Looking for a some recommendations on where to send it? Anyone have first hand experience?

Either that or does anyone have a spare k04? for a BHZ engine.

Thanks,
Scott

Bbt anti surge core £360 plus vat fitted or £310 just for chra hth

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 396
Reactions: scotty dugg
Bbt anti surge core £360 plus vat fitted or £310 just for chra hth

Cheers mate, have you used them? Tbh the turbines not too shabby, it's more the internal waste-gate that's throwing up EML codes for me.

If you've used them I'll chuck them a message see what they say.

I haven't personally used them mate but r tech and a lot of vw guys have used them and can't fault them

Just to add, if replacing a turbo what other items are required to be changed at the same time?

-Turbo Manifold to block gasket
- Turbo to Downpipe gasket

I have owned turbo charged cars for over 20 years now and have become pretty knowledgeable, I've also learned to not cut corners or take the cheaper option as it normally ends up costing much more.
Turbo Dynamics in Dorset are absolutely brilliant, not only with refurbs but with replacements, hybrids and general trouble shooting, they've even in the past advised against replacing the turbo until the fault that let fuel into the oil was found and cured as it would only have shagged the new one too.

I have owned turbo charged cars for over 20 years now and have become pretty knowledgeable, I've also learned to not cut corners or take the cheaper option as it normally ends up costing much more.
Turbo Dynamics in Dorset are absolutely brilliant, not only with refurbs but with replacements, hybrids and general trouble shooting, they've even in the past advised against replacing the turbo until the fault that let fuel into the oil was found and cured as it would only have shagged the new one too.

Thanks for the input Testpilot4321, I've gone for a Turbo Technics refurbed unit, I believe the wear on my current K04 is due to the first owner having the car mapped. Minor wear in the turbine but the internal wastegate is the source (hopefully) of my boost leak and lack of boost - as confirmed when the car was logged.

Unfortunately, my current circumstances mean I cannot throw endless amounts of money till it's fixed, it's taken a long time to diagnose what the entire issue is, I can only hope that this resolves some and a clutch the rest.

Midland Turbo

Thanks Samuel, I've sourced a refurbed setup from Turbo Technics, who also seem to get a good review.

Anyway I digress, to repeat the above, is there a definitive list of what needs to be changed along with a new turbo?

So far I've found:
  • All gaskets
  • Turbo studs?
  • Oil and filter change once fitted
  • Oil pipe to turbo

Reactions: testpilot4321
Yes Turbo Technics are good! Ive heard really good reviews from them!