Turbo sound

Coless3

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if this is normal :-

sounds like I can really hear the turbo spinning/hissing
I was driving the car in 4th gear hard and at about 5500-6000 rpm with wot I can hear like a hissing sound so I let off the throttle then can hear the hissing/spinning sound which sounds like it slows down as the revs start to drop?
Tried it again and I noticed that on my liguid gauge that the bhp stopped gaining at 248bhp as the sound came back?
I really hope this isn't my turbo ****ed I can not hear the sound in any other gears even with wot.
Any help please?

Turbo/boost leak/could be lots of things.

First thing to do is get a smoke test done.

If it was a boost leak would it not be there all the time ?

If it was a boost leak would it not be there all the time ?

Not always, the positive pressure/boost would be pulling it open at full chat where as the rest of the time it stays sealed.

A cracked exhaust manifold is another option, although not common on OE manifolds.

Would the boost pressure not be the same tho in another gear at wot?

Also I can hear it dump the boost when I let off the throttle but the noise is still there until revs drop

The sound you could be hearing could be the turbo blades catching on the inner housing due to knackered bearings... The only explanation I have for the sound being on both wot and over-run... If it was a boost leak it would only be on wot and if the DV is dumping as it should, there will be no air in the system to escape through a leak...

Ben

Jardo shut the fk up! This forum is here to help people. You're hardly helping by telling the OP outright that the only thing he can do is get a smoke test and that you know what's best! Get off your high horse.

Yes a smoke test will highlight any leaks but people don't want to run off to the nearest garage every time they get a problem. They post on here, we give them a list of things to go and check. He may be able to spot a split hose visually, replace it, fixed, no smoke test involved.

Why don't you be a bit more understanding instead of just forcing your opinions on everyone!

Which hoses do you use if you want to test using a compressor?

Seen something on Uk-mkvis and they have used a foodcan with an attachment for the compressor and then attached to the MAF

Which hoses do you use if you want to test using a compressor?

Seen something on Uk-mkvis and they have used a foodcan with an attachment for the compressor and then attached to the MAF

That method is usually only used for testing between the charge pipe to the TB and is normally for FMIC leak testing. This won't highlight any of the issues with hoses connected to the inlet manifold, TIP, N75 etc.

Any VCDS logs or fault codes? It'd be interesting to see if it's making (or exceeding) requested boost, and indeed what requested boost is.

Also what model/spec is that car?

oh dear, looks like this thread has been moderated after another attack from Jardzilla.....

Reactions: Benjiman46