Tyer Query; need 225/40/r18 Y...is 225/40/ZR18 W (XL) ok?!

will_0407

Reaction score
Looking to take advantage of an offer on at costco- £80 off when you buy a set of 4 Michelin PS4's.

Only need fronts replacing but planning to store the additional 2 in my garage until I need them. When I search on their website using my registration plate, it only gives me 225/40/ZR18 W (XL). Havng done some googling, it seems the XL's have stiffer sidewalls so they're better suited to heavier loads?

Most of the time it's just me and/or my other half in the car so not really that heavy, so are these tyres still ok or should I avoid them? And is storing the 2 spares in my garage ok? I won't need them for a while but at £86 each (incl fitting for the front two), it seems a pretty good deal?

Can’t help you with the tyre specs but why don’t you change all 4 and flog the good ones on eBay if they have a bit of life left.

Ive got eagle f1’s on the rear with plenty of tread so was planning to move those to the front.
Not sure how much id get for them though, my gut says it wouldn’t really be worth doing although that does offer another option.... change all 4 and keep the eagle f1’s in the garage.

A garage or kwik fit is going to want £20 a tyre change which negates the £20 saving you get from Costco for the Michelin’s.
If your f1’s have 5-6mm tread then someone will buy them. Even getting £40 for the pair you will save the cost of the future changes.

Change all 4 and put the Eagles in the garage. I will always go for XL tyres over normal ones as they do have slightly stiffer side walls but it makes very little difference to ride comfort .
W rated tyres are good to 168mph and Y rated 186mph so either will be good on the car.

Costco are very fussy and they often refuse to sell tyres which are lower specification than the car came with.

Check the door sticker for the tyre speed rating, but on the S3, the minimum is Y rated (unless winter tyres). If you are going to costco, be aware that they may refuse to sell or fit W rated tyres, if your car came from the factory with Y fitted.

They've certainly refused to sell me tyres with the wrong speed rating (V, when the car came with W) when I took a previous car to them. Arguing with them that V tyres are good to 149 mph made no difference. They simply stood there and said, no, we cannot fit these tyres to your car under any circumstances.

How do you get £80 off?

Need a Costco membership or would have got the pilot sport 4. Anyone can help me out

Better check with Insurance about the lower rated tyres as they might not pay if the worse happens as the tyres will be out of manufacturer specs

On a mobile device. Can’t see your car specs. If the tyre is underrated for your speed then, no you can’t take a tyre of a lower speed rating. XL, reinforced were my OEM delivery tyres. My Quattro seems to wear all 4 quite evenly so I’d change the whole set.

Just had a look at the Costco website.
£335 for 4 PS4 and they are all y rated.
Trying selecting your size rather than from reg plate

A garage or kwik fit is going to want £20 a tyre change which negates the £20 saving you get from Costco for the Michelin’s.
I’ve used a place local to me before that will fit for £8+vat per tyre

I’ve just done as you said found the tyre via search rather than reg plate- also asked me to select my store before giving results so hopefully they have the Y variant in stock.

@Svenedin My car is a 1.8tfsi sport 2014.

@Azz offer on this month, available to any costco member so find a friend with a membership and ask them to go with you

@desertstorm Agreed, I am going to do all 4 and garage to eagles. I may stick them on ebay and see if i get a decent offer- will cost a bit to ship so would likely do collection and hope someone local will make a decent offer

Last edited:
Reactions: Azz
So W rated tyres might be right. Think we were all assuming you had an s3
Check the sticker on your car or handbook.

Sorry, should have specified in my OP. I decided to get just two eagle f1's, but they didnt have them in stock so I went for the 4 x PS4's and kept the 2 rear F1's. They bagged them up for me as well which was nice- I know it doesn't add a lot but just shows a bit of extra care rather than just chucking them in the boot.

I also gave him my tyre size and the ones he went and picked up were Y rated so all good on that front.

£335 fitted for all 4, can't really complain!

Reactions: AlS3BE
My Costco sub ended July and registered again using old car details. I'm online now and have 4x pilot 4 in basket but won't allow me to oruchaee as the membership isn't active.
.so i'm trying to renew for £15 online only, but not accepting it with the tyres in the basket. Only allows me to add the normal sub £33.... .not sure why

My Costco sub ended July and registered again using old car details. I'm online now and have 4x pilot 4 in basket but won't allow me to oruchaee as the membership isn't active.
.so i'm trying to renew for £15 online only, but not accepting it with the tyres in the basket. Only allows me to add the normal sub £33.... .not sure why
Tyres are at store so you need a full membership or trade. Online is just the stuff you see on website.

I think it's part of the t's and c's, I'm sure I read somewhere you need a full membership rather than just online (as you'd have to go to the store/warehouse to get the tyres fitted)

I think it's part of the t's and c's, I'm sure I read somewhere you need a full membership rather than just online (as you'd have to go to the store/warehouse to get the tyres fitted)
Isn't it the same thing? (online membership and warehouse). Love some of the online stuff you can buy. Arcade machines, a £97000 ring....some bonkers stuff.

Maybe it's just the system being slow to update. But you might aswell just go in and get them fitted. It's a first come first serve, wait basis. You can't schedule a slot. Atleast at my one.

It's a first come first serve, wait basis. You can't schedule a slot. Atleast at my one.
Same as the one near me (milton keynes). I got there about 9:45 (opens at 9:30) and they were done by 10:50. Hit and miss with wait times but if you get there within 30 mins of openeing i reckon you’d be out within 90 mins tops