Tyre advice

RicoS3

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!
Reaction score
Hi all,

New S3 arrives 1st March and I have new H&R springs and new 19" alloys for it. The rims are 19x8.0", offset 5x112 ET44. I want to lower the car soon and don't want any rubbing. So first choice is 215's. Spoke to Rimstyle where the rims are coming from and they seriously recommend 225's - his words. Problem is that I know the 225's will rub when I lower it (thanks N8; Japper; Si :icon_thumright:).

I've spoken with a few guys on here, but thought I'd open it up as well. Anyone with first hand experience of running 215's on 19's? I know there will be less tyre wall so comfort will be slightly compromised, but is it that noticeable? OK, roads up here are shocking, so inevitable pot hole swerving competition, but will I be rattling my spine?

Shouldn't be any issue changing the springs an hour or so after getting the car should there? Or should I wait, run it in and then drop it?

Sounds like a ramble above, apologies, get fixed on 1 path and then change my mind again. Any pics of tyres on rims, examples of 19's with drop, no drop appreciated if it helps.

Rich

Shouldn't be any issue changing the springs an hour or so after getting the car should there? Or should I wait, run it in and then drop it?

Rich

Get Audi to fit them before you collect it. I had mine fitted within a few days with no probs

Get Audi to fit them before you collect it. I had mine fitted within a few days with no probs

Really? They didn't give you any banter about voided warranty or the likes? I just need to look like I'm about to open my mouth and they start all the safety/warranty/insurance chat.

I had mine fitted by Lovett but audi will fit them if you ask them it wont void warrenty unless the part that fails is due to the springs. First time you go back with a complaint they will see the mods anyway. I had my white in there with the bentleys and everything on and they never batted an eyelid

Rich,

Maybe PM Mattandrew as he is running 225's on his CK's and has now lowered on H&R's too. See 'how bad' the rubbing is and if it's just the fender liner screw?.

Hi , im running mine on 235 35 19 lowered on H&R's only a very slight rub when full lock is on nothing major......

Rich,

Maybe PM Mattandrew as he is running 225's on his CK's and has now lowered on H&R's too. See 'how bad' the rubbing is and if it's just the fender liner screw?.

N8 confirmed Matt running 225's and has rubbing, but yeh, not sure if the liner screw removal would sort it. If the ride is that bad on 215's then I can always change them out, but would rather not have to remove the screw. Not that it does that much, but it's there in the first place if you know what I mean.

N8 confirmed Matt running 225's and has rubbing, but yeh, not sure if the liner screw removal would sort it. If the ride is that bad on 215's then I can always change them out, but would rather not have to remove the screw. Not that it does that much, but it's there in the first place if you know what I mean.

I had no rubbing on ET50 8x19" with 225/35's, but did with 235/35's.

With ET40 8x18" and 225/40's I get rubbing now.

ET45 should be somewhere in the middle I guess! I'd still go for the 225's, it keeps the diameter right, more grip, a bit more sidewall means better ride, and more rim protection also.

I want to lower the car soon and don't want any rubbing. So first choice is 215's

Thats the ONLY choice to avoid rubbing :eyebrows:

Spoke to Rimstyle where the rims are coming from and they seriously recommend 225's - his words

Don't listen to him :laugh:

Problem is that I know the 225's will rub when I lower it

Correct! :Flush:

Anyone with first hand experience of running 215's on 19's?

Yes Rich, me! On 8.5s and on 9s! I think with a 215 on an 8 there will be hardly any stretch at all to be honest! So I'd go with it!

I know there will be less tyre wall so comfort will be slightly compromised, but is it that noticeable? OK, roads up here are shocking, so inevitable pot hole swerving competition, but will I be rattling my spine?

Well my car is SLAMMED 65mm on KW V2s, half way hard, with 215s on an 8.5J and my ride is still more comfy than my brothers standard Corsa VXR on 18s, so that says it all!:wub:

Any pics of tyres on rims, examples of 19's with drop, no drop appreciated if it helps

Matt's on CKs and on H&R springs:

IMG_2045Copy.jpg

My 215 Pirellis on 8.5J:

DSC06356.jpg

Mine lowered 65mm

DSC00057800x600.jpg

Rich,

He gets alot of rubbing with 2/3 in the back, and it catches every now and then when he's driving even with screws removed :gaehn:

This rubbing issue really puts me off but I guess it woth it for the big gain in aesthetics, I am about to fit 12mm rear & 10mm front H&R spacers (due to BBK), no doubt I will get rubbing too :(

If running 215 instead of 225 are there any safety implications eg) for track use ?

Genius, thanks all. N8, top man, car looks very good, love the rear.

I'll stop asking now, promise. :icon_thumright:

Genius, thanks all. N8, top man, car looks very good, love the rear.

I'll stop asking now, promise. :icon_thumright:

Cheers Rich, getting there lad, I'm getting there..

Thanks N8, cos I'm being too lazy to look how do 215 compare price wise to 225 ?

What size, 18" or 19"?

Spin, can't remember exactly, but on the Rimstyle website, adding 215 tyres as opposed to 225's was approx £90 - 100 cheaper. I've to change my order to 215's, so it'll be cheaper for me. Maybe that's their reluctance to recommend 215's to me initially?

Spin, can't remember exactly, but on the Rimstyle website, adding 215 tyres as opposed to 225's was approx £90 - 100 cheaper. I've to change my order to 215's, so it'll be cheaper for me. Maybe that's their reluctance to recommend 215's to me initially?

Knowing the owners of Rimstyle well, I don't believe for a second their intention was to make an extra couple of quid. The recommendation of 225 is because they're the "correct" tyre for an A3.

Makes sense for them to try and sell up, some good advice on this thread.

But selling up, and selling up if not in the best interest of the customer is 2 different things.

The profit on tyres is negligible, and I am 100% sure they would have offered 225's as they are the right size really for an A3.

Knowing the owners of Rimstyle well, I don't believe for a second their intention was to make an extra couple of quid. The recommendation of 225 is because they're the "correct" tyre for an A3.

No worries Pete. I'll ask for the 215's and like on here, take their advice. I had asked for 215's and they said as you have that 225's were the right tyre for A/S3. I just wanted the order changed, so will do so tomorrow.

No worries Pete. I'll ask for the 215's and like on here, take their advice. I had asked for 215's and they said as you have that 225's were the right tyre for A/S3. I just wanted the order changed, so will do so tomorrow.

I'm sure they'll be cool with that. They're top lads, and just try to do a proper job.

Don't get me wrong, they've be very helpful to date and have accomdated my position, even reserving a set as they only had 2 sets left which are discontinued so I didn't miss out. Gave me thinking and planning time, so I agree, customer service from them is right up there.

I've been speaking with Gary on and off and on email too. He's now lost his voice, so just hope it wasn't because of me and my indecisions!

Don't get me wrong, they've be very helpful to date and have accomdated my position, even reserving a set as they only had 2 sets left which are discontinued so I didn't miss out. Gave me thinking and planning time, so I agree, customer service from them is right up there.

I've been speaking with Gary on and off and on email too. He's now lost his voice, so just hope it wasn't because of me and my indecisions!

It's nice to hear good stuff said about Gary and Toby. There's a lot of crappy companies in the wheel game, so nice to see good old fashioned customer service in a game where it seems to be lacking these days.

Credit where credit's due. :icon_thumright:

Can anyone tell me if the screw that seems to be holding on the bumper in the rear arch can be removed haha? mines rubbing on that i think but it isnt even low yet :(

Can anyone tell me if the screw that seems to be holding on the bumper in the rear arch can be removed haha? mines rubbing on that i think but it isnt even low yet :(

Apparently so, just needs some glue in place of the screw! Will be doing that to mine in the near future.

Apparently so, just needs some glue in place of the screw! Will be doing that to mine in the near future.

I had 235/35/19s TSW Kyalamis 19 x 8 ET 45 (when I knew NOTHING) lowered about 30mm ish and even with Dave doing that for me, it rubbed like f**K......all in the past now..

I had 235/35/19s TSW Kyalamis 19 x 8 ET 45 (when I knew NOTHING) lowered about 30mm ish and even with Dave doing that for me, it rubbed like f**K......all in the past now..

TSW? Classy ;)

Tyre width seems to make a massive issue. On my ET50 BBS, the 235's rubbed lots, changed to 225's and nothing whatsoever.

I don't think screw removal is the solution to rubbing, but has to help a bit...

It's nice to hear good stuff said about Gary and Toby. There's a lot of crappy companies in the wheel game, so nice to see good old fashioned customer service in a game where it seems to be lacking these days.

After having issues getting my CH's from another vendor, i found Toby at Rimstyle to be a top bloke and offered faultless service with next day delivery.

Highly recommended.

215 s on a 8" rim is too much stretch imo , i ve got 8x19 et 45 with 225/35/19 falkans and no rubbing at all even with h&r springs