tyre choices

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
Right lads - I need some new tyres for the rear of my motor. I bought some Pirelli P zero all round and for some reason the rears have worn out slightly faster than the fronts. They've worn out relatively even which suggests I don't need tie bars or does it because they've worn so fast? Anyway can you recommend some tyres for the rear? Thinking of going mid range such as Kumho, Falken etc Anyone got any experiences? basically want a half decent summer tyre.

Cheers in advance

not keen on michellins? got pilot sport ps2 which work fine

Alright mate. Ive had 2 sets of P Zeros and there mint. Couldnt recomend any better tyre. Never tried them but the t1r toyo proxes are supposed to be good aswell.

Oh and wen u selling me ya supersprint and suspension setup??? lol. When you at the gym next, could do with a word about vagcom!!!

they are good but thinking of spending about £70 a tyre rather than £100+ (sorry should have explained in origianl thread) I've found a cheap tyre place - cheaper than black circles and my tyres and its in Bradford which is a bonus. Not sure about the setup Scott, prob when I get rid of the car. Don't worry you can have first bid! Can't get motivated to go down Canons in this weather especially when Porkies was on the menu last night!

Aky go for Falkern 452's there a good tyre for price they are had a set on mine, plus the weather is getting hotter so don't really see the point of spending loads on expensive brand names as they'll wear quicker. try this site http://www.tyresite.com

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 is you want one of the best road tyres available and reasonable wear.

Toyor Proxes T1-R or T1-S if you want something as good in the dry, only slightly worse in the wet but they'll last 5K longer.

Both are better than P-Zero Nero and P-Zero rosso. The Good years are better than those Vredestein things and the Toyos about the same.

I am talking about fast road/track use here.

Lol. i wa onli kiddin about the setup but ill have first bid wen it goes :) Dont suppose you were in porkies bank holiday sunday wa ya??? im sure i saw ya car parked near the train station.

Yeh i no wat ya mean about the gym, did back and shoulders yest and nearly fell down dead it was that hot!!!!! lol.

And as for the tyres, get on piston heads or ebay for some second hand decent tyres.

I bought a full set of original avus 17" wheels with nearly new P Zeros (7mm tread) for £250, then sold my wheels i had on mine with nearly illegal tyres for £130, so technically i bought 4 nearly new p zeros and half decent rims for £120. Bargain.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/Cars-Parts-V...atio95ac3a43Z4067cQQDiameterf5f3f8adZR18139f9

some toyo proxes tr1's goin for £80 each wich dosent seem bad. Prob do a discount for more than 1!!!

Decided I'm going to wait a month and run them on slicks seeing as the weather has picked up. Mr piggy won't like it but I don't care. come get me piggy.

P-Zero rosso for me good all round and last for time!

I'd second the Eagle F1's, great tyre.

On a side note aren't you supposed to have the same tyre on the front and back of the S3 due to the 4 wheel drive? And supposed to change them at the same time?

And supposed to change them at the same time?

This isn't necessary on the S3 as the haldex 4wd system is tolerant of different tread depths. The torsen permanent 4wd in the other quattros A4, A6 etc. have a very tight tolerances and will cook the diff if there's too great a difference.

My S3 normally solves this argument for me anyway by wearing all four out, but then that's probably the country lane driving I do.

Just buy some R888s.

Road legal semi slicks.

The R888s are totally amazing, the are that soft you can put marks in them with your nail. So ups are unbelieveable grip and road legal, downs are can be quite scary in the wet and they make so much noise you will think your diff has gone (like one of our customers!!).

I would recommend Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics (has to be Asymmetrics) or if you don't want to spend that much go for Falken FK452s.

P-Zero rosso are a great tyre - one of the best I have bought- pay about £100 a corner but dont expect them to last too long

conti sport 2's a good all round tyre in wet & dry. They also dont wear at a fast rate due to a harder compound.

Just fitted Toyo T1r's to my s3, very happy up to now after taking Eagle F1's off

Right lads - I need some new tyres for the rear of my motor. I bought some Pirelli P zero all round and for some reason the rears have worn out slightly faster than the fronts. They've worn out relatively even which suggests I don't need tie bars or does it because they've worn so fast? Anyway can you recommend some tyres for the rear? Thinking of going mid range such as Kumho, Falken etc Anyone got any experiences? basically want a half decent summer tyre.

Cheers in advance

have kumho's all round on mine (on there when i bought the car a few months ago, def not a personal choice!), have to say they are a little slippy in the wet, fine in the dry. but good thing is they seem pretty hard wearing, done 6000 miles in last 5 months, and there's masses of tread left.

Went for Falken 912's in the end. not sure what they are like but they were £80 fitted each so not too bad. Felt softer than Kumho's so probably slightly grippier but for the money I can't complain