Tyre Opinions/Advice

A3-ALF

Reaction score
Hi guys needing to replace at least 2 of my tyres soon so looking for any opinions and recommendations. I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I was really looking for a specific recommendaton based on my driving circumstances.

Basically I do a fairly high milage over 20k a year cruising on the motorway so I want good economy and less road noise. I drive like miss daisy so don't need performance tyres. I've heard good things about Falken FK-452's and for the price, less than £70 a corner fitted, they could be a contender. Unless you know better.

I've got standard speedline alloys 20x55xR16 on an 07 plate 1.9tdi 3-door.

Cheers
Alan

We're running Falken FK452's (225/40x18) on our 2004 Sportback and they are a little noisier than the previous (well word) Bridgestones.
Whilst I don't drive the car anywhere near the limit, I've not managed to un-stick them yet!
Apparently the Scooby boys love them too...

In the past I've used Khumo Ecsta KU31's and been very pleased with those as well, but the recent Ecsta received a poor rating in the Evo tyre test this year.

Hope this helps

Col

Cheers Col this is exactly the sort of information I'm looking for, the Falkens are also a favourite with the E90 3 series beamer boys too. Was thinking though that if your running 18's and fairly low profile at 40 then that may account for the road noise, with the standard wheels then I'm hoping that they won't be any worse than the bridgestones I also have at the moment.

Thanks

Alan

Onto my second set of Falkens, these are 452's only had them 2 days but seem great.. Before that Pirelli P zero Nero. I cant see much difference. Japanese tyres are very highly reguarded! Superb for the money. Camskill are very good on price and only £2.50 a trye delivery.

I'm now running 225/35/19 Falken FK452's and so far I really like them, especially given that at £106 a corner they're almost half price of some of the premium brands. I do give the car some stick every now again and grip seems really good. I read quite a few reviews online that indicate tyre wear is very good with these, too.

I ran Falkens on my Golf and IMO they were the worst tyre I've ever had fitted to a car

They grip well for the first couple of thousand and then they run out of ideas very quickly in both the dry and the wet. A complete set lasted me less than 9000 miles.......for me the sidewalls are too soft and you end up being thrown across the road just when you want to lean on the tyres

I then swapped to Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's - big improvement!

On the Audi I've just had some Michelin Pilot Sport 3's fitted; initial impressions are good and I'm hoping to give them some stick over the coming weeks :rock:

I am currently running Michelin Pilot Sport Primacy's (205/55/16) on my golf and rate them highly. I had Michelin PS2's on my S3 and they were brilliant. They wear well, I find grip in both the wet and dry very good and mine were less than £80 per corner fitted too.

Chris

Ive got a set of Falken FK452s on my 8L S3 at the moment and i think there great tyres expecially for the money (bought them in winter £60 a corner 225/40/18) They have really good wet and dry grip and so far look like they are wearing well although ive only had them 2k miles or so defintly getting another set.