Tyre Pressure Monitor For New Wheels - Advice Needed Please

Ad72

Reaction score
I hope to get my new rims this week and have new tyres fitted and am unsure if I need TPMS valves. My car has a tyre pressure monitoring system but I can't display the pressures so only the basic system. Does that mean my wheels have standard valves or specials? According to the dealer it only has standard valves and that's what they look like on the car but just wanted to make sure. My car is a 2016 A6 Allroad with standard tyre pressure system only. Thanks

Last edited:
I believe it has just std valves. Mine were when i had 4 tyre fitted. Think the system uses the abs signal to track revolutions. Same as it needs resetting when new tyres are fitted.

Thanks, I thought so as well but just wanted confirmation

Standard - once the wheels and tyres are fitted and are at the correct tyre pressures. Reset the tyre pressure monitor in the MMI.

Reactions: Ad72
All done, wheels and tyres fitted with standard valves and all is ok :yes:

Sorry I missed this thread. When going to 20s from my 19s, after 20 odd miles, it triggers the tyre pressure warning system, you can only reset this whilst stationary. Same thing happened again when reverting back to 19s, despite running same pressures. Both sets of wheels just run stock valves.

Here she is, looking much better I think.
f584ce3deab9209dcd7482dfb2ad6115.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mcwharam, Rhyso and jojo
The tyre pressure warning system is based upon using the ABS sensor I believe. Either way, a sensor measures the tyre (used to be speed, but may be more advanced than that), and if different to what you set it at when you reset in the MMI, it triggers a flat tyre warning.

Problem is, the system requires the tyre to be heavily deflated to work. If you have choice - get the actual TPMS which has sensor in the valve as it's much more accurate.

That won't be the indirect TPMS then, but will be an actual TPMS. 4 PSI not usually regarded as enough to dramatically change the diameter of the wheel. The temp change in the tyre alone could cause that change.

I have the ABS version, and it tells me which tire to check, just not the actual pressure reading.

It picked up a slow leak, and triggered with a drop of around 5psi. Topped up the air and went on my way - the drop was so low it didn't really bother me. Warning came up again about 3 days later, decided to go to my local tire shop for a check. Tire off and 3" stainless wood type screw embedded sideways, completely cutting across the tread. Non-repairable, and given how these V8's drive, lucky l didn't have a full blow out - had been on the motorway in between alert and actual repair. £250 repair bill.

Never ignore the TPMS alert, regardless of ABS based or not! :racer: