Tyre recommendations...

tommo-turbo

Reaction score
Just found out I've got a slow puncture so I'm gonna have to get myself a new set of tyres. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set of tyres with good wet grip? I'm well aware you get what you pay for before anyone pipes up :whistle2:

Cheers guys,

Rich

I had Eagle F1's on my Corsa SRi. They gripped brilliantly in the dry, but they wore out quickly. Fair comprimise for the performance I guess! I didn't have the car long enough to test the wet weather performance though!

DPM: What am I lookng at for a set of 4 for the stadard 225/45/17's please? Inclusive of delivery and VAT. Cheers

there have been sooooooo many threads on this subject! Most people go for the F1s or do a search:happy:

tommo-turbo

The cheapest you will probs get for the F1's will be around £100 a corner

Sorry, should have thought to do a search first. God damn my ignorance! lol!

Rich

Thoughts: If it's gonna cost me 400 quid for new tyres am I better just stumping up the extra few hundred and getting a new set of wheels in the process?

Rich

GTQ: where are you getting the F1's for that price mate?

I got F1s for £85 each, from Humpries as they have a price beat, otherwise it was £88 from Bracknell tyre and battery co.

Why do you need a new set of tyres just because you have a slow puncture? Why not get the slow repaired, & move it to spare?

lol, even though F1's are everybodies fave, i'm still going for Bridgestone potenza re050's...

Didn't know you could get slowies repaired. I was considering upgrading my tyres for the winter anyway, so I just thought why not? Worth getting new wheels at the same time perhaps?

Rich

If you need new tyres anyway, that's different. As to whether it's worth getting new wheels, if you don't like the ones you've got, & want to change them, then you'll invariably get a better deal on wheels & tyres together.

But if you're happy with your current wheels, why change them? Keep the money to spend on something you need to buy (but don't yet know you need).

jdp1962 said:
If you need new tyres anyway, that's different. As to whether it's worth getting new wheels, if you don't like the ones you've got, & want to change them, then you'll invariably get a better deal on wheels & tyres together.

But if you're happy with your current wheels, why change them? Keep the money to spend on something you need to buy (but don't yet know you need).

Ah for the ability for pre-cognitive thought hey...

Thanks for your input matey!

tommo-turbo said:
Didn't know you could get slowies repaired. I was considering upgrading my tyres for the winter anyway, so I just thought why not? Worth getting new wheels at the same time perhaps?

Rich
i had a slow puncture repaired on a pirelli p6000, worked fine, kept correct pressure without a problem, and the £12 it cost me saved me buying a new tyre.

of course a week later or so later, i ended up buying a set of second hand tyres/alloys anyway, doh! :D

Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna upgrade my wheels now instead. Get some 18's on the go. I appreciate all of your opinions. Think I'll be getting Eagle F1's on my new wheels!

Rich

Pirelli P-zero Rossos have just been put on my 18"s all round and the handling is unbelievable. My pal with an RS4 thinks it grips round corners better than his with these tyres...

tommo-turbo said:
Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna upgrade my wheels now instead. Get some 18's on the go. I appreciate all of your opinions. Think I'll be getting Eagle F1's on my new wheels!

Rich

Good choice with the F1's!

I just had some Conti sport 2's put on the my front wheels & have to say i m impressed although i think it could just be the fact that their new & feel good. Generally i think most of the decent brands perfrom the same & theres little difference when it comes down to it.

am i mad to stay with bridgestone then? does anybody else run bridgestones?

dgannon69 said:
Pirelli P-zero Rossos have just been put on my 18"s all round and the handling is unbelievable. My pal with an RS4 thinks it grips round corners better than his with these tyres...

I agree with the above Pirelli P-zero Rossos about £98 a corner, great tire!

Ive got RE050's on the front of my A4, replaced my contis a few months after I got my car. Becasue I had them fitted to my 147 and was well impressed. Only problem is I left them underinflated and now they are nearly worn after just over a year! Probably go for F1's next because having a chipped diesel in the wet with the front wheels spinning in second is no fun at all. Especially when I am concentrating on having a fag, while talking to my mate on the phone and eating a McDonalds at the same time.

john2garden said:
Especially when I am concentrating on having a fag, while talking to my mate on the phone and eating a McDonalds at the same time.
That is really irresponsible of you! How can you possibly eat McDonalds' food?!:puke2:

madvw said:
am i mad to stay with bridgestone then? does anybody else run bridgestones?

I'm running Bridgestones but will be replacing them for F1's before winter

Can get the F1's for £77.20 from www.mytyres.co.uk and my local tyre place will match there price fitted which is very noble of them

Buster said:
I'm running Bridgestones but will be replacing them for F1's before winter

Can get the F1's for £77.20 from www.mytyres.co.uk and my local tyre place will match there price fitted which is very noble of them

Have had a look there, and I would have paid the extra 8 quid a tyre for the extra-load F1's.

I'd recommend Yokohama Parada Spec 2. As would almost anyone that's had them fitted. Great looking tyre, good in the wet, phenominal in the dry, and the wear rate is no where near as bad as I was expecting.