Tyre sidewall damage – Replace?

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All,

I stupidly manage to catch one of my rear tyres when driving up the ramp onto the upper deck of the Eurotunnel train. There is a sharp kerb at the top of the ramp and clearly I was not bang in the centre.

This is the result, it does not look too bad and I cannot see any of the tyre banding – but would ask for some advice from those here who may know more about tyres than me.
20211020 102829
20211020 103001

Many thanks

Its really annoying when this kind of thing happens! You have my sympathy.
Probably going to be an MOT fail. If its holding pressure ok though and the MOT isn't due for a while I'd leave it, especially if the tread on the tyre is decent, get the most out of it.

Reactions: Nick_B
Looks like a tyre with a decent amount of rim protection built in, in which case I'd probably continue with using it. As already mentioned though, will probably fail an MOT. If it's bulging at all though, then get it changed.

It's the rim protection. Unless you can see the cords it won't fail, may get an advisory. Per the rules:

• any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
  • if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
  • if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail

Thanks for the replies - confident now that the tyre is not structurally damaged and can wait until it is ready to be replaced.

Cheers

If it’s a new and expensive tyre look for a local place that does hot vulcanised tyre repair. It’ll cost about 10-20£ and will repair back to new.

Just superglue it, I've done this twice & the tyre lasted until worn down, its very minor damage, mine passed an mot as it wasnt hanging of after my modification lol