tyre wear

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
spent the morning fitting my new 312mm discs on my avant

when i took the wheels off i noticed both tyres are worn on the inside, one side quite badly
took down the road to get the tracking checked, they reckoned it was spot on and put the wear down to the car being lowered and knocking camber out

how is camber actually adjusted?

anyone know anywhere in midlands/northwest that can do it

Camber isnt adjustable on the front of an A4.

It also wont really matter that its lowered as the multilink suspension makes a reasonable effort of keeping the camber angle sensible after the cars lowered.

I've had that on the front of an A4 is when the control arms went. Check the upper balljoints for play.

I didn't reset my arms when I lowered it so pretty sure the rubber is screwed as I have checked for vball joint play and not found any. Mind you I may just replace the upper arms with new and see how we go.

two questions:
1) how bad is the worse side compared to the other? camber on the front of teh B5 is linked left to right and can be adjusted by moving the subframe, like moving the base of a square while keeping the top still. if one side is worse than the other then it would usually point to one side being out more, with the exception of the left being worse than the right and you live in Milton Keynes (too many roundabouts!)

2) who did your geometry check and what with?
not everyone has the skills to do a 4wd alignment properly

cheers

checked the arms when i had wheels off and there wasnt any excessive play, but the cars handling does feel sloppy

passenger side has about 4cm wear, drivers has 2cm but its also had a slow puncture for about a year, its my avant fwd not the quattro, its only used to take the dogs to the park

getting new tyres anyway so think i'll just keep a close eye on them

My tyres were wareing like that, got 4 wheel alignement and sub frame adjusted and it seem to be ok atm, done 3k on new tyres, does not show any signs of ware yet, see if this set will last 10k.