Tyres... Choices Choices

Nezzy

Reaction score
Hey people. As the title suggests im after some new tyres.
My main concerns are low road noise, not too pricey as looking to sell
some time soon, and as for performance. Well anything will be better than my
current tyres as the previous owner just put some cheap tat on the car. Also tyre
life doesnt bother me as I'd rather get less milage out of a decent tyre than slide
around everywhere doing loads of miles.
They are for a 3.2 quattro 225/45/17

Thanks, Jamie

I've always been happy with Toyo proxes. Decent grip and not too badly priced. Alternatively if you're getting rid you could consider part worn, some bargains out there.

I just got a pair of Continental Sport Contact 3's with 5mm tread on them for £20 a tyre... fitted and balanced!

again falken fk452s for me or kumho ku31 or ku39 just as good i find.

Yep I run falken fk452's too! Although if it's budget you are after my better half has nankang ns2's on her festa and always been impressed by them for the money.

Falken.jpg

****** hell, that's not bad for £70 a tyre!

Do you boys work for falken or something :)
Well I'll have a shop around. looked on black circles earlier.
They seem pretty well priced there and apparently if you buy a set of four
you get raped by the Falken girls...

Thanks Again.

I came into this thread to recommend, erm Falken FK452's :) Looks like I am a bit too late! I had them on my VXR, far better than the Continental sport contacts that I had fitted under the service plan for 3 years. Also miles cheaper. Will be fitting them to my S3 as well when the time comes. Although the Uniroyal Rainsports that are on now are pretty good.

EDIT: Just had a look, £75 a corner on Camskill for 225/4018's! I think I will keep my 18's :)

Yeah, I've heard quite a few times that the ZE912s aren't all that. They're a bit cheaper than the FK452s but nowhere near as good, apparently.
I've never tried them myself though.

CRUNCHIE,
its easy to slate the FALKENS when you drive an STI.
WHAT! did you just stick it on the track or drive like you stole it.
i have had continentals pirelli pzero Nankangs Khumo.
i do alot of fast road driving like braking at the last split second to
taking corners and taking out the side walls on the rear tyres as much as the front.

continentals were the best but at a premium, i could not tell much difference from
the pirelli pzero and the FAKLENS & thats why i would buy them all the time.

KUHMOS ARE GOOD.

THE NANKANGS NEARLY KILLED ME, PERIOD.

FALKENS are Japanise tyres which are affiliated with goodyear and most
Japanise tyres are made for grip.

FALKENS last some good miles too.

CRUNCHIE,
its easy to slate the FALKENS when you drive an STI.
WHAT! did you just stick it on the track or drive like you stole it.
i have had continentals pirelli pzero Nankangs Khumo.
i do alot of fast road driving like braking at the last split second to
taking corners and taking out the side walls on the rear tyres as much as the front.

continentals were the best but at a premium, i could not tell much difference from
the pirelli pzero and the FAKLENS & thats why i would buy them all the time.

KUHMOS ARE GOOD.

THE NANKANGS NEARLY KILLED ME, PERIOD.

FALKENS are Japanise tyres which are affiliated with goodyear and most
Japanise tyres are made for grip.

FALKENS last some good miles too.

I was talking specifically about the 912's. Not tried the 452's.
Had to take them off with 6mm still on them as the car was wasted without decent tyres.
Stuck PS2's on it and could go faster in the wet with them than in the dry with 912's on.
You get what you pay for.(although 452's are meant to be very good for the money)
It all comes down to what £ your willing to spend.

I had 912's on my e90 320d and found them to be very good. I don't consider myself to be speedy gonzales like some of you on here but I'm a lazy ******* so tend to slap on the cruise control and don't like coming off it which means taking quite a few corners at speed. I did 14k miles on mine and they still had plenty of life left in them when I sold the car.

I've currently got Continental SC3s on and they have been very good in terms of grip but terrible for road noise and have only lasted about 6k miles. Now they need renewing I'll be trying the 452's since everyone raves about them.

Reactions: The Engineer
Another vote here for the FK452's. Had them on my 350z, megane R26, and the wife's Mazda 3 MPS. Ultimately you will always find a grippier or longer lasting tyre but pound for pound they are great.

The 452's are good, however the OP mentioned noise.. I put 452's on my old CLK500 and they were very noisy. Plenty of grip though.

I'd probably go with Kumho's as they are just as good but less noisy. Have Ku31's on my MR2 Turbo

Currently running uniroyal rainsports on the S3, lot of fun darting round other cars when it is pishing down :laugh:

Am not sure if I am coming from a different planet here.

Tyre choice is something I've always given a great deal of thought to.

Historically I've always favoured goodyear F1s. The gsd2 and then 3 was simply awesome, The assymetrics move the game on hugely - they are simply amazing in the wet and excellent in the dry with low wear and low noise. That said I suspect they are more money than the falkens, but for all the money I spend on cars, one area I worry less about spending is the tyres, since they are the only contact between the car in the road and affect so many things - suspension, cornering, acceleration and braking.

Can't think of anything more important to not scrimp on.

Anyway, not sure if the size is available or if the price range makes them stupid but keep an eye open for the new michelin pilot super sports. Apparently they are a game changing tyre.

This all might be totally ott if you are selling soon.

btw. if it makes you feel better, the tyres on my other car are £500 each and typically are lasting just less than 6000 miles a set. (I'm going to find a cheaper alternative!)

The 452's are good, however the OP mentioned noise.. I put 452's on my old CLK500 and they were very noisy. Plenty of grip though.

I'd probably go with Kumho's as they are just as good but less noisy. Have Ku31's on my MR2 Turbo

Currently running uniroyal rainsports on the S3, lot of fun darting round other cars when it is pishing down :laugh:

I have to partly agree with this. The 452's are a bit noisy on anything other than smooth tarmac. They're not deafening but you do get more road noise entering the cabin than you might like. I'm not sure how they compare to other tyres but they are quieter than the dunlops that were on my car when I bought it.

Reactions: box500