Tyres dilemma

Matt

Reaction score
I've got my car booked in for a service a week on monday. Its going to need 2 new front tyres shortly after that so I'm going to get them done at the same time.

I'd like Audi to do the tyres as to cut a long story short I've had bad experiences with independent tyre fitters in the past!

Got a price for Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's. £138 per tyre inc. VAT & fitting. And for the same Michelin Pilot Exalto's I already have on the car its £172.50 per tyre inc. VAT & fitting.

Bit of a price difference but I know the Michelins last well as the ones I have on are on just over 18k with a few mm left.

Whereas the Pirellis I dont know how well they last or even if they are any good?!

Also the tyre wall profile might be a bit different to the Michelins so it could end up looking a bit odd with Pirellis on the front and Michelins on the back?! I've had a car with different makes on the front and back axle before and even though they were the same profile the height of the side wall was quite visibly different so it looked odd!

What do you reckon?

Tyre size? I swapped the OEM Pirelli Rossos (225-45-17) which had done 18,000 to get to 3mm (I tend to change at about 3mm) for Vredestein Ultracs - much better grip and they were £100 each fitted at a local tyre fitter who knows what he is doing!

No comment on the car not looking as good with different tyre sidewalls - tyres change so often even the same OEM tyre may not be the same a few months later.

225/40/18.

It really did look crap when I had Toyo's on the front and Nankangs on the back of my previous car. Was like the Toyo's had a 45 or 50 profile but they were 40s just like the Nankangs. Really ****** me off and dont want the same thing to happen again!

i didnt rate parads on my ctr,i found the sidewalls to soft which was improved by increasing the psi however this ruined the wet weather grip.

For the extra cost id stick with the same brand, if they last another 20k an extra £100 wont hurt the bank.

I had Yokohama S-Drives on my last car, brilliant in the wet and dry.

I have the F1 asymmetrics and quite happy with them, grip well in the wet.

Only problem is I have my original Contis on the back and with the F1s on the front
this occasionally brings in the ESP when not required.

This is on an ST so may be ok on an A3 ?

Get on, blackcircles.com, see what they have, you can get excellent deals on premium tyres.

Matt I've got the pirelli rossos on mine and although they perform well in all conditions their longevity is **** I put 2 new fronts on 8K miles ago and I don't think they will see 9K I paid £108 per tyre at Gates tyres Carlisle they also have a branch at Workington and will do a deal on all makes.

Dont mix the tyres as I learned it the hard way... did a 180 because the fronts were too grippy...

Go for the Michelins... good ride, Good grip. The pirellis rossos should have quick wear and a harder ride.

Just had 4 tyres fitted, went for oem Conti Sport 3 XL's. After a bit of haggling paid £106 each fitted from Kiwk fit of all places. Went for Conti's again as i got 22K miles from the originals.

Tyreshopper.com is another option although they are tied in with National Tyres for the fit...you can also select the option to collect and fit yourself.

Best tyres I had on my S-line were Dunlop Sportmaxxes.
I previously had Continentals and F1's.
Coincidentally, the Dunlops were the cheapest of the bunch.
I liked them so much I am hoping I can get them for my D3.

:icon_thumright: for Vredesstien Ultracs.

Fantastic tyre, been fitting them to mine and bro's high powered saabs for a couple of years!

I'm on F1 asymmetrics can't fault them, were £120 a tyre as far as I can remember from protyre

Incase anyone is interested I got new tyres today.

Went with Michelins again but I saved a bit of money going to ATS Euromaster. Made totally sure they knew what they were doing before I let them near it and they have kept true to their word and not put a single mark on them so I'm chuffed.

Plus they only charged £128 per tyre plus fitting, balancing and valves when they should of been £160! The guy made a **** up and applied a 20% offer that the tyre I was having didn't come under but by the time he realised they already had one of the tyres off so had to honour the price. RESULT! :thumbsup:

Good stuff, glad you got the tyres sorted....

I just had 2 Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3's, so far so good!!!

The two new tyres, were they put on the front or the back??

I know you said you needed front tyres, so did you put the new tyres on the front or have the back ones moved to the front and the new ones on the back???

Cool, cheers for that Matt.