TYRES FOR S3

s99amp

Reaction score
i am looking to replace my front tyres on my 58 plate S3 that has 39k on clock. I have had it for 9 months now and the Federals that are on the front are absolute sh*t, in the wet and cornering is scary!!!

i am looking at pirellis mainly due to the good deal i am getting, has anyone got any advice?

cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Vredestein Sessanta's or Vorte's are rated well, I run the Sessanta's & they do appear to stick to the road like glue, initial run in they appear to follow the roads dips & contours maybe a little too much, however after a bit of driving that has improved for me at least & they're great.

i am looking to replace my front tyres on my 58 plate S3 that has 39k on clock. I have had it for 9 months now and the Federals that are on the front are absolute sh*t, in the wet and cornering is scary!!!

i am looking at pirellis mainly due to the good deal i am getting, has anyone got any advice?

cheers

According to Tyrereview:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
2. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
3/ Vredestein Ultrac Vorti

2013 Summer Tyre Buying Guide | the online tyre guide

If you are going for Pirelli make sure it is the latest version of the p zero you get. Pirelli's had been cr@p for a while.

I've popped the new ones on mine andy they are pretty good - especially when they only cost £119 each fitted.

Hi and welcome.

There's loads of threads on this but the comment above is spot on.

I've used Michelin PS2 and 3s, Goodyear F1 Assys,Toyo R1Rs and the awful stock Bridgestone RE050s and by far the best are my current Pilot Supersports.

Not far off a track tyre in terms of dry grip and excellent wet grip into the bargain.

Don't waste money on a cheaper tyre as you pay for it in other ways.

Hi s99amp i,ve just got michelin pss and like s3alex says the grip is very impressive ,so glad i got them ;)
677c835b4e9382be4a87da124d3085b5_zps1e43bf42.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: S3Alex
Reactions: pinterovski and Kelza
Hi and welcome!

As you seen from all the advice, there are many good tyres out there. What performances are you looking for? Not too bad wet braking I suppose? And do you have a budget? What I found out is that tyres are very personal, depending on your preferences, car and budget! Give us some more information, and we'll help you out :icon_thumright:

you decided what your going for yet mate ?

i been running yokohams a048 as we had some nice weather but also looking to change my everyday tyre.....
was running P zero previously and i found them ok.

shame we done have a nicer climate:( would be running semi slicks all year round :)

you decided what your going for yet mate ?

i been running yokohams a048 as we had some nice weather but also looking to change my everyday tyre.....
was running P zero previously and i found them ok.

shame we done have a nicer climate:( would be running semi slicks all year round :)

I think you'd be as surprised as I was with the Supersports.

I've had Toyo R1Rs last year,and R888s this year,and these come very close in overall grip,but you don't have to worry about wet or greasy roads.

Reactions: Johnson3
Alex what size PSS have you got? I was looking recently and they didn't seem to offer 225/40/18 92Y

I was leaning towards PS3's next. I don't skimp on tyres, In the past i have normally gone for Michelin PIlot Sport 1 or 2.

I had a poor experience with Good Year Eagle F1's and refuse to spend good money on their products again.

Alex what size PSS have you got? I was looking recently and they didn't seem to offer 225/40/18 92Y

I was leaning towards PS3's next. I don't skimp on tyres, In the past i have normally gone for Michelin PIlot Sport 1 or 2.

I had a poor experience with Good Year Eagle F1's and refuse to spend good money on their products again.

Mine are 245x40x18 on 9" wide rims,but Michelin do a 225x40x18,with a slightly lower load rating.

Michelin do a 225x40x18,with a slightly lower load rating.

Yep, there's a 225x40x18 88Y currently available, with an 92Y XL coming in September (apparently).

There was\is a shortage of the 225x40x18s in the UK, although there are German tyre sites with stock and reasonable UK delivery prices.

Reactions: S3Alex
Eagle F1's just put a set on the other day fantastic. Changed from Pirelli P7's, the worst tyres I have ever used in my life. Downright dangerous in the wet.

Eagle F1's just put a set on the other day fantastic. Changed from Pirelli P7's, the worst tyres I have ever used in my life. Downright dangerous in the wet.

I thought the F1s were excellent all rounders,although the wear rate is high compared to say the Micheline PS2 or 3 which were as good in other respects.

I'm currently running these and rate them really well good all round handling and stick on a track

lot quieter thank Parada spec 2 use to use, however slightly delayed turn in on initial turn but you adapt to this quickly think would be more to the fact ran Parada for 3 years so use to them.

Yokohama ADV Sport V105S XL - 225/40YR18 92Y

4 for £420 fitted

Yokohama ADV Sport V105S XL 225/40YR18 Y 92Y tyres with Price Promise Guarantee!