Tyres in snow 18" woes

Reaction score
wife stuck 3 times on slight inclines in a flurry of snow recall issues last year
michelin pilots

whats best current tyres for the B8 in snow

She considering changing from Audi due to her embarressment other brands had no prroblems

Many manufacturers "over tyre" their cars these days. The only way to do it properly is winter tyres. The rubber doesn't get so hard in the cold weather so grips better and the tread pattern is better at dealing with the conditions.

I guess depending where you live depends on if the cost is worthwhile. I'd rather be in an overtyred Audi that in a front engined rear wheel drive car.

She needs winter tyres, not a new car!

But in answer to your question I find that the less 'sporty' the tyre the better it is in the snow. The Barum tyres my mk5 Golf GTI came with were pretty good in the snow. Rubbish grip in the dry though...

yes ESP Switched off .
Winter tyres don't work in this Island as one day? week @ max snow next minute bone dry!!

bare in mind roads were dry then in a instant 6" of snow caught out!!

Deffo new car 4x4 feck the expense
Cayenne maybe !

Many people think winter tyres are for use on ice/snow exclusively. They're not. You'll get great performance all winter due to the compound. "All season" tyres just can't handle proper cold temps.

yes ESP Switched off .
Winter tyres don't work in this Island as one day? week @ max snow next minute bone dry!!

bare in mind roads were dry then in a instant 6" of snow caught out!!

Deffo new car 4x4 feck the expense
Cayenne maybe !

Winter tyres work really well on this island, winter tyres are not all about snow, it is all about stopping distance and handling on roads below 7 c, and tbh they only have about 10 % less grip than the average summer ones in the summer, (you are allowed to change them in the summer to you know) where as stop you up to 60% quicker on snow/ice, the only draw back with winter tyres is the idiot behind you who is up ya *** on his crappy tyres and he cannot stop, it should be law if you have winter tyres you put a sign on the back of the car, (not that would make a lot of difference)
I leave winter tyres on my Van all year around last year, wearing really well
Tyres are the most important thing on the car.

I use Quattrac 3's on my wife's car they are on all year round great in snow and perfectly good in summer.

Just to emphasise again, winter tyres are not just for snow. You get more grip than summer tyres when its below about 7-10 degrees.

They really are amazing.

If you are on 18's are they 245s as this is the main issue the wider the tyre the worse they are. But as stated above FWD still easier than a rear wheel drive in the snow for the normal driver.

I went out once last year in the snow never again the car was all over the place,it was then parked up for 5 weeks and has been all this week and will be there until snow clears.I use the wifes Focus for work its much better,

In last years snow I saw the perfect example of an over tyred car, was one of my neighbours he has a 52plate focus rs, I watched him one day trying to get out of the top of our road (bit of a short hill, maybe 40metres), after the pillock spent 10 mins polishing the ice he parked up (next to the bm's & fwd volvos), came back and took his missus fiesta and drove straight out no problems.

Winter tyres are something I'm looking at, especially as the rears on mine need replacing soon but I will have to buy some wheels to go with them.

First time in my B8 TDI SLine in the snow early this morning and I was very happy much better than I expected.

Well at Last we have some proper Snow, it is chucking it down here, over 6" in the last 3 hours, had to drive home, and got to say, S3, with those Hankooks winter tyres pretty well goes anywhere, and stops, though this is on around 8" fresh snow, the real test on ice, but still very very impressed, especially with the stopping.
Gonna be fun tomorrow, as it is not suppose to stop snowing for all of tomorrow

What you need is snow socks (65) or some of these Thule Snow Chains for £280 for 245/40/18. Im getting them soon. Trouble is, not only are you going to get hit up the bum, with all the gear in the wold, if no one else can move, how will you get passed??

I had 4 continental winter contact TS830P's in 235/40x18 from kwikfit, surprisingly they were the cheapest with their order and pay online service, £170.75 each including valve/balance & fitting, cheapest I could find with the so called cheap online dealers were £250ish each for the same tyre, some were £300+.

Ordered online Friday, fitted Saturday morning.

I have been running Nokian WR G2's since january.
planned to take them off but the weather was so crap and the they didnt appear to be wearing any faster than the Ps2's or F1 GSD3's I had on previously.
they squeal like a Starsky and Hutch car in the bone dry on hard cornering. not quite as firm as I would like under load but my god do they work well in snow, slush, ice, wet, mud, leaves, etc etc.

I live in Edinburgh, havent seen the tarmac in 2 weeks and have pulled out countless cars as a result.

Only problem is they gove you a level of superhuman confidence which is only removed when you catch yourself deliberately looking for snow and sliding sideways out of junctions (empty ones) on purpose.

will be getting some more

Have A4 quattro sport, have spare set of alloys £150 of eaby, with avon snow tyres 235/45/17. Put them on in Dec (to late this year) and take them of in April. Think they were about £95.00 each. Not the most expensive but great in the snow.

Last year a car the same as mine couldn't get out of our steep estate road, (normal road tyres), mine with snows on, no probs.

Would defo put road tyres back on in summer, not the best stoping power if you realy had to !

where in Edingburgh(2 weeks of no tarmac) as I travelled loads of tarmac last week/week before infact went from fort kinnaird (newcraighall bus 33 musselborough region )
to Livingston there was snow there alright that was from last weds tarmac down to England.That was in a fwd dagenham dustbin
snow in Edingburgh started 26th Nov was down between morpeth Berwick before that

anywhere that is not on a main arterial road. council are useless

10 mins ago:
IMG_33741.jpg

10 days ago:
IMAG01999.jpg

does anyone know if steel wheels are available for the b8 chassis , ideally would put winter tyres on them