Facelift Tyres Slashed, Need Help with Replacements :'(

MikhailCompo

Reaction score
Some cnuts have slashed the tyres on a load of cars across about 4 or 5 streets where we live. Over a dozen cars affected, some like myself only finding out two days after the event. What is the mentality of these losers, their sad little lives so unfulfilled they need to cause problems total strangers? What do they get out of it........ anyway, trying to keep post positive.

So, two offside tyres were slashed, both probably need replacing so need call out from garage.

I assume to put the existing two tyres (<5.5 mm according to it's first MOT from a week ago) on the back, but i need help buying some for the front.

I want rim protection but cannot easily identify which tyres come with that feature. Do some manufacturers have versions without/without the protectors so is there a chance if i just buy specific model it will not come with them? Garage is offering Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance as their 'premium' offering although they can order others in. Also, they are 92W instead of 92Y, is that a problem if i am not racing?

Thanks for any advice at this sh1tty time.

This is from an Asda page...... (you know, the go-to website for tyre advice??.....)

Which tyre manufacturers offer rim protectors?
The following tyre brands offer tyres with the rim protector feature: Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin and Hankook.

The tyres with wheel rim protectors will usually have one of the following markings on the sidewall of the tyre:
  • RFP (Rim Fringe Protector)
  • FP (Fringe Protector)
  • MFS (Maximum Flange Shield)
  • FR (Felgen Ripen)
  • FSL (Felgenschutzleiste)
  • ML (Mit Leiste)
Bu not a single online retailer i found has those codes anywhere. Totally unhelpful.

W speed rating is 169mph and Y is 186mph, so you should be fine, but I thought it was advisable to stick with the ratings as noted on the door sticker.
I also seem to recall you put the new tyres on the back if you are 2wd, not sure what you are.
How about contacting the internet retailers for advice on which tyres suit your needs as I'd assume they may have access to a wider stock range than a local chain. I've had good experience of www.tyreleader.co.uk.
Would this be a good time to consider All/4 seasons tyres?

Colin

Reactions: Adam14 and MikhailCompo
You could try looking at blackcircles.com as you should be able to choose the tyres you want and where you want them fitted. If you're near Edinburgh I can loan you a couple of winter wheels/tyres to keep you moving in the meantime if needed.

Reactions: MikhailCompo
W speed rating is 169mph and Y is 186mph, so you should be fine, but I thought it was advisable to stick with the ratings as noted on the door sticker.
I also seem to recall you put the new tyres on the back if you are 2wd, not sure what you are.
How about contacting the internet retailers for advice on which tyres suit your needs as I'd assume they may have access to a wider stock range than a local chain. I've had good experience of www.tyreleader.co.uk.
Would this be a good time to consider All/4 seasons tyres?

Colin

Thanks Colin

It's an S3 so 4 wheel drive, i thought newest on fronts for better grip and braking. No?
My garage is a registered tyre fitter/dealer for Blackcircles and Goodyear and others.

Also tyre leader website is down, kind of? Are they no longer the leader or is it my internet connection?

If you're near Edinburgh I can loan you a couple of winter wheels/tyres to keep you moving in the meantime if needed.

Thats a really kind offer, appreciate that. I am extremely lucky to be working throughout lockdown so i can afford to replace them thankfully.

Camskill or Blackcircles- Avon ZR7's. Can't beat them other than by Michelins which are a fair bit more a corner.

I've yet to find rim protection really doing anything major.

Last edited:
I had a set of Continentals Sport contact 5's on my S3..They had good rim protection.

You shouldn’t run all seasons just on one axle just fyi

so a pair of summer tyres is what you are after or 4 x all season or 4 x winter

for an S3 i would be looking at Goodyear Eagle F1’s. They are more suited to a performance car, the efficient grips are good but more geared toward economy etc

All season tyres are good but an S3 is a performance car and you will notice the compromise.

You can get away with the 2 intact tyres on rear and new on front, as difference <3mm.

Technically tyre fitters put best on rear and the others on front as understeer is easier to control but I agree with you and aim for best on front.

Don’t mix all weather or winter with summer - when things get dicey you’ll end up in a ditch.

There are many threads on this but in summary, Audi original “AO” generally have better rim protection.

most people who focus on rim protection go for Goodyear Asymmetric or Pirelli P zero - with AO where possible.

You shouldn’t run all seasons just on one axle just fyi

so a pair of summer tyres is what you are after or 4 x all season or 4 x winter

for an S3 i would be looking at Goodyear Eagle F1’s. They are more suited to a performance car, the efficient grips are good but more geared toward economy etc

Its what I just put on my S3, cant fault them and have rim protection, but limited. (F1SS)

Sorry to hear this there is some proper scum bags out there unfortunately .
I think P zeros have the best rim protection .

I have to say that P-Zeros despite having a very pronounced ridge that they claim is for rim protection it is far too far away form the actual edge of the alloy and that lip is very soft. I curbed a wheel on day one of ownership, and sadly did it again a month or so ago with very light touches to the curbside parking at night both times. I walnut recommend them for traction, lifespan or anything else. Micheline Pilot 4S is a massive upgrade in traction, and the rim protection is where it should be, right up against the lip of the wheel.
Check out my pic(post#66) of Conti sport 5's in this thread. Really good rim protection I think.:yes:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-tyres.254513/page-2