TYRES TYRES TYRES!

Hi Wilsons3. I had an a4 quattro special edition and always put on Pirelli pzero rosso got over 15000 miles out of them.Just bought an a3 quattro and when it is time to get tyres I will defo be looking for p zeros.Hope this helps buddy:thumbsup:

The Goodyear is the better tyre.

Anything in particular that stands out, does it warrant the extra £10 per corner, no qualms with paying out if its much better.

Hi Wilsons3. I had an a4 quattro special edition and always put on Pirelli pzero rosso got over 15000 miles out of them.Just bought an a3 quattro and when it is time to get tyres I will defo be looking for p zeros.Hope this helps buddy:thumbsup:

Hi mate, whats your driving style like, I tend to be quite keen on the loud pedal and live in and around some nice roads :)

EDIT

Thats pretty much made my mind up, tyreleader decent on price or could I pick them up cheaper elsewhere, anyone know?

Last edited:
I've run the Goodyears and found them a good tyre, I'm on Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's now and I would say these are the best tyres I run so far, I would recommend them

Reactions: wilsons3
Hi Wilson.I,m probably the complete opposite to your driving style.Don,t get me wrong tho I sometimes like to give the right pedal a squirt now and then but not often:racer: The a3 I have just bought is a dsg and it tends to make you drive a bit more leisurely if you know what I mean :drag:

i would say run continental sport contact 5's , they are miles better than the goodyears , the sidewalls on the goodyears is too soft in comparison and feel crap ! ,

i thought i would try the eagle f1s but i sold them just the other day after about 200 miles and i hated them ! i used all different pressures on the rear and could not combat the soft sidewall , if you want a tyre to push hard on corners then a conti contact 5 is probably the best tyre to go for all round grip and wet grip they feel a miles better tyre

The F1's are a great tyre,but they wear very quickly.

Aside from the Conti's,others worth considering are Michelin Supersports if you can find them in the right size for your car.

The grip is amazing,wet or dry,and the wear rate is also pretty decent for what they are.

Those are by far the best all round road tyre I've used,and only bettered(in the dry) by the R888s I have on now.

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2, amazing in the dry, really good in the wet.
Probably one of the best tyres for our cars.

Reactions: Stevo M81
Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2, amazing in the dry, really good in the wet.
Probably one of the best tyres for our cars.

Had them on my civic type r FN2 and I was amazed the power I could put down in the rain without wheelspin.

Sorry to mention a tyre not in the list, but how do Bridgestone Potenza's compare? That's all Ive ever had on my car. But isnt the recommended tyre the Michelin pilot sport 3's?

I've had Bridgestone RE050's on before and they were OK. But the Goodyear F1's I've got now are better in the wet and dry.

Sorry to mention a tyre not in the list, but how do Bridgestone Potenza's compare? That's all Ive ever had on my car. But isnt the recommended tyre the Michelin pilot sport 3's?

I had the Michelin's on my old car and they were amazing. Will definitely be replacing my current tyres with them when the time comes.

I agree with Alex, I be recently fitted Michelin Pilot Super Sport to my S3 Sportback and they're league ahead of the F1 Assy 2's in the dry whilst being on par in the wet. Outstanding tyres for the money.

Reactions: S3Alex
I've had Bridgestone RE050's on before and they were OK. But the Goodyear F1's I've got now are better in the wet and dry.

Mine arrived with a set of those things on.

Quite honestly the worst "performance" tyre I have ever had on a car......no progression,awful wet grip and pretty limited in the dry.

Think its all down to driving style as I hated the Eagal f1 as2s , they couldn't handle high speed direction changes without flexing the sidewalls that's why I chose the conti contact 5

Think its all down to driving style as I hated the Eagal f1 as2s , they couldn't handle high speed direction changes without flexing the sidewalls that's why I chose the conti contact 5

Maybe so.....I've had a set of those,and never had any problems other than the very high wear rate,but maybe that's down to my driving style!

I got a set of Michelin PS3 for mine recently and I like them a lot, I was a firm Toyo T1R fan but they are quite noisy, we have another A3 with them and the road noise difference is so noticeable

MPSS for 105 A corner with free delivery from tyre leader

MPSS for 105 A corner with free delivery from tyre leader

Just to be aware - those Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres on Tyre Leader don't appear to be the XL version.

I emailed them a while back to see whether they were the XL version, and they never replied to me; so I ended up buying my set from mytyres.co.uk.

I got a set of Michelin PS3 for mine recently and I like them a lot, I was a firm Toyo T1R fan but they are quite noisy, we have another A3 with them and the road noise difference is so noticeable

I had R1Rs on mine for a bit......OK,but nothing like as good as the R888's.....amazing in the dry,and surprisingly good on damp roads.

Road noise from the 888s is unlike any other tyre.....they buzz.

I'm going to be ordering a new pair of rear tyres as I got a nail in one of my current ones that can't be repaired. I've got a 2004 Audi A3 Sport, do I need to get the XL version of tyres? I'm thinking of getting the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. The size I'll be getting would be 225/45/17. I need to get them fitted by Friday as I'm thinking of doing a long drive from London to Blackpool. Other than changing the tyres fitted does balancing etc need to be done? I think somebody who looked said the inside of my rears were wearing down a bit compared to the outside. The fronts seem to be okay though.

Comments above about the F1's having soft sidewalls, maybe this wasn't an XL tyre ? and wear very quickly are hard to understand against tyre tests and 224 public reviews on tyre reviews.co.uk

I agree the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT is a great tyre but compare the two....

F1 , 224 reviews over 1.5 million miles , Wear 83% , Buy again 89%

RT , 75 reviews over 379 k miles , Wear 64% , Buy again 75%

Soft walls or not its enabled the F1 Asy2 in tests to notch up
1st x 4
2nd x 5
3rd x 2
4th x 3

Most people don't driver very hard and it's always depends on each car with weight and suspension setup also playing a large roll in a tyres performance ,

I am mearly saying the f1s won't handle tight corners at 90+ without the sidewalls moving unless you run too much psi then it drops off your grip levels

And take rapid direction changes even worse

I'll stick to my contis contact 5s cheaper and for how I drive better

Very good performance tyre and has 5 x 1st place test wins.

But suffers in the reviews.

71 reviews over 490k miles , Wear 55% , Buy again 64%

Yeah I'm not fussed about wear I just want a stiff tyre that grips at the at a psi that works for my car

Most people don't driver very hard and it's always depends on each car with weight and suspension setup also playing a large roll in a tyres performance ,

I am mearly saying the f1s won't handle tight corners at 90+ without the sidewalls moving unless you run too much psi then it drops off your grip levels

And take rapid direction changes even worse

I'll stick to my contis contact 5s cheaper and for how I drive better

Like I said,it's a very personal choice,like brakes and suspension.

I would like to think mine is one of the more demanding S3's here in terms of tyre loading,and I never had those problems with it,but it may also be down to suspension setup as well.

I can't say a bad thing about the F1's. Have had them on all cars i've owned.

I run the Conti SC 5. Had F1 but they didn't last very long. SC5 is perfect for me and my heavy foot

I've run the Goodyears and found them a good tyre, I'm on Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's now and I would say these are the best tyres I run so far, I would recommend them

Got 4 of these Dunlops on order to be fitted next week.

The two on the front they are replacing are Nexen N8000's that were a distress purchase due to a type rupture 200 miles from home 20 months ago. While they wouldn't be my first choice, if I was looking to put tyres on for 6 months ahead of selling the car I'd give them a look. Slightly nosier and a slightly harsher ride than the brand leaders, they do grip but have no rim protection at all which has you driving ultra cautiously near any kerbs! They did take 500 miles to scrub in properly though. First impressions had be convinced they'd have to be replaced straight away!

I had F1's on the st170, and the wear was horrendous! after about 5 months they looked like an OLD tyre. I mean it was driven hard but the wear was too much for me to buy them again for the price they were.

I will be trying a full set of dunlops when student payday comes along, i like the look of them (and thats clearly important when buying a tyre right?)

Dunlop sport maxx RT's wear fast I found. Fantastic grip tho

Reactions: crazylegscrane
I remember the good old days when 15" GSD3s were £30 a corner fitted haha, it didn't matter they lasted a few months

I had F1's on the st170, and the wear was horrendous! after about 5 months they looked like an OLD tyre. I mean it was driven hard but the wear was too much for me to buy them again for the price they were.

I will be trying a full set of dunlops when student payday comes along, i like the look of them (and thats clearly important when buying a tyre right?)

I was going to go for Bridgestone potenza adrenaline just cos they looked so awesome, but read they just do what all other bridgestones do and the grip just drops off at half wear, normal RE050 were the worst tyre I've had ever