Tyres

martyboy

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Hi guys, I'm not being lazy, honestly! I have done some research of my own, but I was just wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations for good 18" tyres for this wet and cold time of year and where is doing them at decent prices right now?
Thanks

Winters would be best, but I found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics to be an excellent summer tyre.

Reactions: martyboy
Tyreleader.co.uk for good tyres at cheap prices.
I use Goodyear Eagle F1's as summer tyres and Nokian WR A3 as winters .

Hi guys, I'm not being lazy, honestly! I have done some research of my own, but I was just wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations for good 18" tyres for this wet and cold time of year and where is doing them at decent prices right now?
Thanks
Unfortunately we can't get Michelin Cross Climate in 18".. so Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons would be my top shout right now. Pricey though.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/171679-Bargain-Winter-Wheel-Tyres

Have a look at this. If you don't mind running with spigot rings, Audi A6 C7 18" alloys and winter tyres for £720 from the dealers. Check the ET though. You could almost run them for the winter and sell them for the same money! Unfortunately I just bought a new set of winters a few days ago or I would have got these.

Actually, just realised the tyres will probably be too big for an S3/A3.

It’s close to tyre renewal time - I’m going to do all four at the same time. I currently have P Zeros, but thinking of changing to Yokohama Advan Fleva V791s, if I’m honest, because I think they look smart. Has anyone else got experience of these? Or suggestions if other good tyres?

Choosing tyres because they look smart …..!

First time I’ve ever heard that as a reason
SiPie, thanks for your comments, but that was my point - I’m looking for advice BEFORE I choose them, because all I have to go on at the moment is how they look… hence my post here.

Reactions: SiPie
For similar money I would go with tried and tested like Michelin or the pzero you already have. I grown to like the factory pzero, on third set, but I run winters so they are purely summer tyres for me. It’s good in wet and once warmed it’s a great dry tyre providing great grip.
yokos I’ve used in the past has always been a great dry tyre but weak in all other conditions and wears very fast.

If you want a British design tyre for British weather and roads, the Avons ZV7's are absolutely brilliant. They are less costly than other brands and perform near enough just as well.

The new AS7 always looks pretty gnarly

avon-as7-hero.png

I've never been a fan of Yoko's as I always found them to have a tendency to aquaplain.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Best looking sidewalls and top tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 5 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S .

Mg 3843

PS4S Sidewall Top

Reactions: Potterswheel
If you want a British design tyre for British weather and roads, the Avons ZV7's are absolutely brilliant. They are less costly than other brands and perform near enough just as well.

The new AS7 always looks pretty gnarly

I've never been a fan of Yoko's as I always found them to have a tendency to aquaplain.

I’m a Michelin fan but what’s the rim protection like on the AS7?

Agree they do look gnarly.

I’m a Michelin fan but what’s the rim protection like on the AS7?

Agree they do look gnarly.

I havent seen a set yet.

I have the ZR7’s and the rim protection isnt anything out of the ordinary but those AS7’s look to have a beefy rim protector. They will probably be my next tyre but Im a year away from needing them realistically.

For those on the Michelin's - I was looking at PS4's and I know they'll be good for grip, but I also want something that's quiet and doesn't harm the fuel economy

For those on the Michelin's - I was looking at PS4's and I know they'll be good for grip, but I also want something that's quiet and doesn't harm the fuel economy
All reputable brands are good on grip these days, to the levels you are able to use on the public roads. The most important variable I feel is wet weather performance and breaking performance and the Michelins generally come in with approx a two metre reduced stopping distance over cheaper ones which to some who like the loud pedal could be invaluable.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing and JohnM100
[…snip…]
The most important variable I feel is wet weather performance and breaking performance and the Michelins generally come in with approx a two metre reduced stopping distance over cheaper ones which to some who like the loud pedal could be invaluable.

^This. No comment on the loud pedal though.

Those look like saloon/RS 19 inch Pilot Super Sports (great in dry, less so in wet) as opposed to 18 inch (per OP request) PS4 or PS5?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazwould
My saloon had Hankook tyres as factory fit but they finally needed replacing recently and I went for Michelin Pilot Sport 5 but I find they produce more road noise than the Hankooks and along with the stiff S line suspension I find the ride is now “rougher” as the Michelins seem to transmit more of the road imperfections. Grip etc is good but if you want an element of comfort I’d suggest looking elsewhere.

Reactions: MattDC
My saloon had Hankook tyres as factory fit but they finally needed replacing recently and I went for Michelin Pilot Sport 5 but I find they produce more road noise than the Hankooks and along with the stiff S line suspension I find the ride is now “rougher” as the Michelins seem to transmit more of the road imperfections. Grip etc is good but if you want an element of comfort I’d suggest looking elsewhere.
Which Hankook's did you have? I had V12 Evo2 (K120) on my Lexus for the majority of the time I had it and apart from wearing a little faster than I'd like, I couldn't fault them. Never let me down in the grip dept either wet or dry, although I did have one aquaplaning moment with them. I had a second set of wheels with Uniroyal winter tyres on, and they did feel better (more confident and stable feeling) in the lower temps (7º down) and they were a little more comfortable (probably the softer sidewalls).

I know I won't ever use the full potential of Pilot Sport tyres' grip - I just don't thrash the car or push it even close to it's limit. So really all I want is like Dubjam said: good wet grip and braking performance, to be quiet and last as long as poss

Which Hankook's did you have? I had V12 Evo2 (K120) on my Lexus for the majority of the time I had it and apart from wearing a little faster than I'd like, I couldn't fault them. Never let me down in the grip dept either wet or dry, although I did have one aquaplaning moment with them. I had a second set of wheels with Uniroyal winter tyres on, and they did feel better (more confident and stable feeling) in the lower temps (7º down) and they were a little more comfortable (probably the softer sidewalls).

I know I won't ever use the full potential of Pilot Sport tyres' grip - I just don't thrash the car or push it even close to it's limit. So really all I want is like Dubjam said: good wet grip and braking performance, to be quiet and last as long as poss

They were Hankook Ventus s1 evo2. Got to say I was pleased with them but at the time I needed to change the Michelins were on offer at Costco for a good price compared to the Hankooks.

I might just stick another set of Hankook's on this when it next needs them, since I already know their characteristics and performance. I am tempted by the Michelin Primacy 4 tyres though, they're reported to be almost as god as a Pilot Sport 4's, but better in the wet, quieter, last longer and more comfortable. And since I'm not going to push a set of PS4's to the limit, I doubt I'd even get close to the limit of the Primacy's either.

Uniroyal Rain Sports are even cheaper than Avons right now, and they are really good tyres imo

I love the Avons as they are so quiet and comfortable personally, but having the used the Uniroyals before, the wet weather ability is brilliant.

The new Avons AS7's are an all season tyre for a great price, they will be my next tyre.

Uniroyal Rain Sports are even cheaper than Avons right now, and they are really good tyres imo

I love the Avons as they are so quiet and comfortable personally, but having the used the Uniroyals before, the wet weather ability is brilliant.

The new Avons AS7's are an all season tyre for a great price, they will be my next tyre.
Uniroyals rain sport are great tyres. Had them on other cars and for everyday general driving, even spirited driving, it’s good bang for buck.
Another tyre worth considering for general everyday use and not thrashing about is the Michelin crossclimate 2. It’s an all season and great in winter conditions. They get a little noisy on certain road surfaces at speed, above speed limit type speeds, but if you can find a deal like at Costco they can be a bargain. Got mine at £75-80 a corner for 18s last winter.

Reactions: Harvey and Dubjam
I had Rainsport's many years ago (on a mk4 XR3i!) and thought they were great. No doubt about it the best tyre Iv'e ever used in the wet. I don't remember them being sub-standard in the dry, but then it was 20 years ago. I do remember they didn't last as long as I'd have liked, although back then I used to tear around everywhere so maybe that's why. They did last longer than the Yokohama A520 (which was an amazing summer tyre, but lasted something daft like 6000 miles or similar)

I had Rainsport's many years ago (on a mk4 XR3i!) and thought they were great. No doubt about it the best tyre Iv'e ever used in the wet. I don't remember them being sub-standard in the dry, but then it was 20 years ago. I do remember they didn't last as long as I'd have liked, although back then I used to tear around everywhere so maybe that's why. They did last longer than the Yokohama A520 (which was an amazing summer tyre, but lasted something daft like 6000 miles or similar)

Those Yokos..I had a set on my Impreza. At Brands Hatch one day and they were tearing it up all day, loved them, then the heavens opened and they became widow makers :)

Had to change all tyres on the S3 today.

Went for PS5

Too early for feed back on performance, besides most tyres on 8mm tread will beat 2-3+mm on aged tyres.

Rim protection on the PS5 is near non-existent - stock 225/40/18 almost look stretched