Tyres

j0nny2013

Reaction score
Audi S3 currently running the same Conti standard tyres.

Two fronts are needing changed.

I was thinking on going for the Michelin pilot sport 4 as the reviews have been good and I wanted a change.

However is it a bad idea putting different brands on the car at the same time?

Also if i was thinking the rears are going on the front and new ones going on back so is there much point putting Michelin on back or should I just wait till all 4 need doing?

Thoughts

Reactions: terryhurlock

I was thinking on going for the Michelin pilot sport 4 as the reviews have been good and I wanted a change.

Also if i was thinking the rears are going on the front and new ones going on back so is there much point putting Michelin on back or should I just wait till all 4 need doing?

Thoughts
I'm doing the same then will just swap the rears to MPS when they get low enough. Did it on the RS3 too and noticed no difference at all.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I'm doing the same then will just swap the rears to MPS when they get low enough. Did it on the RS3 too and noticed no difference at all.

TX.

So did you put the new ones straight on the front?

Do you think it’s worrh the upgrade?

So did you put the new ones straight on the front?

Do you think it’s worrh the upgrade?
I did as the 3 had a staggered setup so slightly wider front vs back. The new tyres were night and day better imho.

TX.

Yes, on all 4 which is really what you should be doing. Problem with 2 different makes on each axle is they both have different grip properties both in the wet & dry. So while your front will react one way the rears will react differently.

Each to their own, but if it was me, I'd either replace the front like for like, or replace all 4.

EDIT,
With AWD all 4 should be wearing out the same.

Yes, on all 4 which is really what you should be doing. Problem with 2 different makes on each axle is they both have different grip properties both in the wet & dry. So while your front will react one way the rears will react differently.

Each to their own, but if it was me, I'd either replace the front like for like, or replace all 4.

EDIT,
Unless you are a Driving God you will never notice grip differences front to back imho.

Quatro tends to favour front wheels imho as fronts do tend to wear first I've noticed.

TX.

Why? The rears are freewheeling most of the time with a Haldex quattro system, not carrying the weight of the engine and not subject to steering-induced loads like the front tyres. I'd have expected them to last longer than the fronts, for what it's worth.

I've had two permanent four-wheel drive quattros (an A6 and an allroad), and while I appreciate that they're much heavier cars and not strictly comparable, the rears always lasted longer than the fronts despite being driven constantly.

And although it's not relevant to what you said at all, I still don't really understand why peeps seem to get their knickers in such a twist over the prospect of driving a quattro-equipped car with differing tread depths on the tyres, thinking that the differentials are going to wind themselves up to the point at which they explode into smithereens, sending red-hot shrapnel through the seat of your strides.

Quattro differentials are easily able to cope with the slightly different speeds - slight being the operative word - that tyres with slightly different tread depths generate.

If they couldn't, then it wouldn't be possible to go round any kind of corner, because any time you aren't travelling in a dead straight line the wheels on the same axle are rotating at different speeds.

Reactions: Pook, Ron240, Matt Titanium and 2 others
My findings are they seem to wear the same. Wife has had 2 tt’s and both wore the rear tyres marginally quicker than the fronts. Her current tt did 26k all round on the hankooks and she’s down 14k on the current f1’s and the fronts are at 6mm and rears 5.5mm so wearing very nicely. Not measured the s3. At 5000 miles they all look pretty new still

Why? The rears are freewheeling most of the time with a Haldex quattro system, not carrying the weight of the engine and not subject to steering-induced loads like the front tyres. I'd have expected them to last longer than the fronts, for what it's worth.

I've had two permanent four-wheel drive quattros (an A6 and an allroad), and while I appreciate that they're much heavier cars and not strictly comparable, the rears always lasted longer than the fronts despite being driven constantly.

And although it's not relevant to what you said at all, I still don't really understand why peeps seem to get their knickers in such a twist over the prospect of driving a quattro-equipped car with differing tread depths on the tyres, thinking that the differentials are going to wind themselves up to the point at which they explode into smithereens, sending red-hot shrapnel through the seat of your strides.

Quattro differentials are easily able to cope with the slightly different speeds - slight being the operative word - that tyres with slightly different tread depths generate.

If they couldn't, then it wouldn't be possible to go round any kind of corner, because any time you aren't travelling in a dead straight line the wheels on the same axle are rotating at different speeds.

I've had lots of AWD cars over the years, and generally all 4 tyres have worn at roughly the same rate. I suppose driving style may have something to so with it?

I never got mu knickers in a twist over different tread depths. If you read my post again, it stated different brands. A Michelin PS4s will have different characteristics to a Pirelli P-Zero, both in wet and dry grip. rolling resistance, aquaplaning etc. It is always better to have the same tyre on all 4 corners, as when cornering (especially in the wet) each tyre will react the same as the others. Why have a car with a less grippy tyre in the wet, on the rears? It just makes the car less stable and prone to oversteer. In extreme circumstances, yes but the point stands. More so if you need to emergency stop to avoid a crash.

That's why I said, if it was me, I'd replace the same 2 tyres as what's on, or replace all 4 to a new brand. Each to their own. Guy asked for an opinion. I gave mine.

I never got mu knickers in a twist over different tread depths. If you read my post again...
If you read my. post again, I made a point of saying that the part about getting knickers in a twist had nothing to do with what you said.

It was an entirely separate issue.

I guess I should have made it clearer, and if it wasn't clear enough, then I apologise.

I wasn't quarrelling, and certainly not with you. And neither was I attempting to indulge in a pointlessly self-indulgent 'well, I've owned three of these and six of those so obviously I'm right and you're wrong' kind of argument.

All I was trying to do (and obviously making a proper pig's ear of it) was to add to the discussion.

As is so often the case when contributing to these things - and not just here - you can't help but think with hindsight that sitting on your hands might just have been a better option.

Last edited:
Reactions: msdmjb, Adam14 and wab172uk
If you read my. post again, I made a point of saying that the part about getting knickers in a twist had nothing to do with what you said.

It was an entirely separate issue.

I guess I should have made it clearer, and if it wasn't clear enough, then I apologise.

I wasn't quarrelling, and certainly not with you. And neither was I attempting to indulge in a pointlessly self-indulgent 'well, I've owned three of these and six of those so obviously I'm right and you're wrong' kind of argument.

All I was trying to do (and obviously making a proper pig's ear of it) was to add to the discussion.

As is so often the case when contributing to these things - and not just here - you can't help but think with hindsight that sitting on your hands might just have been a better option.

No worries.

Mine tend to wear at the same rate, but I do tend to 'work' both axles when driving. I actually had my left rear as the most worn out of the tyres when I went to replace them last time, but they were all pretty similar.

If I was changing brands, then I'd swap all 4 tyres. I wouldn't want to drive through some standing water on the motorway and have different tread patterns, but thats me.

Modern tyre with 6mm of tread on the front vs another modern tyre with 4mm of trade on the back. If you guys can feel tread pattern differences then no doubt you'd also be able to feel a pea under multiple mattresses!

TX.

Reactions: Phutters

Thoughts
If you’re still thinking about this, ATS are doing a deal.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40R18 92Y x4 + Free Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet at ATS Euromaster £332.96 using discount code MICH19. This is a fitted price, choose a Monday appointment for an additional 10% = £292.36

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mi...romaster-33296-3190207?page=3#thread-comments