Ultimate/Final 8P Oil Thread

Quantum Longlife 3 is the engine oil TPS will sell for pretty much every VW application - spec: 507.00
Not too expensive either - Audi dealers parts depts are selling it on eBay for about £25 delivered for 5 litres.

Hi all. I have a 2011 1.8tfsi in which the oil light has just come on this morning. I've had a quick read but not got a definitive answer to what oil I should be using to top up?

Thanks..rav.

Not really , it's all made to the spec , approved or not , non approved can be found more cheaply but best value approved is Quantum Longlife III .

Brill. Thanks. Used to use quantum on my 8l s3 so will stick to that. Thanks.

R

Does anyone have any feedback on this ester based oil? I’m due my annual service and getting an ester based oil is really hard in New Zealand!

2A0CFAC1 D6C6 4411 A2DD FFE69877FFB7

Interesting read but I have a question, my S3 (BHZ) is on 82k, it has a slight tapping sound once the engine is hot and at idle, seem to go once the revs pick up, I'm thinking due to the mileage maybe a slightly thinker oil is required and am considering a 5w40 instead of the current 5w30, however there is no 5w40 with the required 504.00 spec, what alternative can folk recommend?

Thanks,
Rog.

Interesting read but I have a question, my S3 (BHZ) is on 82k, it has a slight tapping sound once the engine is hot and at idle, seem to go once the revs pick up, I'm thinking due to the mileage maybe a slightly thinker oil is required and am considering a 5w40 instead of the current 5w30, however there is no 5w40 with the required 504.00 spec, what alternative can folk recommend?

Thanks,
Rog.

504.00 is a 5w30 oil so you won’t find this in a 5w40.

The current preference is Millers Nanodrive CFS NT 5w40. It’s a triple ester stock. This is available from Halfords or Opie Oils. Failing that, any of the ester based products above would be fine.

504.00 is a 5w30 oil so you won’t find this in a 5w40.

The current preference is Millers Nanodrive CFS NT 5w40. It’s a triple ester stock. This is available from Halfords or Opie Oils. Failing that, any of the ester based products above would be fine.

Thanks for that, very much appreciated, opie is local to me so I'll give them a bell.

Just looking at doing an interim oil change on my (newish to me) A3 2.0tdi (cffb engine) having owned 2 PD engined vw/audi (still have the b6) i've always put the Quantum longlife 3 in the a4, but looking at the last service on the A3 the garage receipt says 0w30 oil used.
Opie oil options are all 5w30, i take it the 0w30 isn't wrong as such?
It's on the longlife intervals, but i'm a bit ocd with changing the oil (don't like these longlife intervals!) so will be doing it soon and then again when the service pops up on the screen no doubt.

Judging by this thread the Longlife 3 oil is still fine to use on the newer CR engines with dpf? or is there anything else i need to consider?
Anyone used AVS carparts (vwspares) site for filters? they seem to have decent prices on genuine filters. Although not used them myself yet.

Just looking at doing an interim oil change on my (newish to me) A3 2.0tdi (cffb engine) having owned 2 PD engined vw/audi (still have the b6) i've always put the Quantum longlife 3 in the a4, but looking at the last service on the A3 the garage receipt says 0w30 oil used.
Opie oil options are all 5w30, i take it the 0w30 isn't wrong as such?
It's on the longlife intervals, but i'm a bit ocd with changing the oil (don't like these longlife intervals!) so will be doing it soon and then again when the service pops up on the screen no doubt.

Judging by this thread the Longlife 3 oil is still fine to use on the newer CR engines with dpf? or is there anything else i need to consider?
Anyone used AVS carparts (vwspares) site for filters? they seem to have decent prices on genuine filters. Although not used them myself yet.

VW 507.00 spec is a must on CR engines with DPF. I'm using Castrol Edge 5W30 personally.

Reactions: norris_309
I'll go with the Quantum longlife 3 then, whats in there now going by the receipt doesn't state the 507.00 although it does have - C3/229.51 which seems to tally up with the MB spec that is on the 507.00 so hopefully it's fine.
Just wondered why the garage used that & on a previous service done there it was a 5w30?.. oh well.
I'll carry on with my usual then.. it's nice that the 2 audis i have can use the same oil anyway

Hi everybody, What do you think about the Liqui Molly Molygen? I know it is doesn't have the vw specfication but it seems like a good oil

In my 1.6 FSI BLP i now use Motul X-Clean 5W40 oil and the chain is totally silent with cold starts! Before with the oil from the previous owner (only 1400km old) the chain had a rattle.

Anybody run a full synthetic 0W40 in their 2.0TFSI, or is that just me? I have been running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 European Car Formula in there for years after switching from 5W30 (which the manual called for back in 2006) and the car runs great to this day with over 225k miles.

Anybody run a full synthetic 0W40 in their 2.0TFSI, or is that just me? I have been running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 European Car Formula in there for years after switching from 5W30 (which the manual called for back in 2006) and the car runs great to this day with over 225k miles.

A very good oil , it tested 15th out of 250+ oils for film strength which gives engine oil's #1 priority of metal to metal anti wear .

Done by a mechanical engineer who researched tribology .

Screenshot 20220330 092356 Chrome

However a 504.00 507.00 did come in 5th !

Reactions: Nanashi
I use Mobil1 5/50 because i have stg 2+ as this balances out the extra Turbo heat. and i had a problem with smoking at about 80k miles on std oil, now on 115k, no smoke and car runs great.

Reactions: Nanashi
A very good oil , it tested 15th out of 250+ oils for film strength which gives engine oil's #1 priority of metal to metal anti wear .

Done by a mechanical engineer who researched tribology .

View attachment 252129

However a 504.00 507.00 did come in 5th !
Appreciate the feedback! Glad to see the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 European Car Formula came in 15th out of the 250+ that were tested, but seeing a 5W30 that scored higher leaves me to wonder if I should give that one a shot for a cycle or two and see how the car likes it! I have to try to track down those findings - looks like it would be interesting to peruse, and could be helpful toward guiding future decisions.

Reactions: Gazwould
I use Mobil1 5/50 because i have stg 2+ as this balances out the extra Turbo heat. and i had a problem with smoking at about 80k miles on std oil, now on 115k, no smoke and car runs great.
I'll keep that in mind in the event that everything for Stage 2+ somehow happens to show up in my garage one day. Funny that everything for stage 1+ happened to do just that somewhat recently, and now I'm wondering if everything for stage 2 will do the same within the next few weeks. If it keeps up like this, who knows what's next on this slippery slope!

With 225k on the clock you cant really use that survey as it will not allow for the wear in your engine. you need to be going thicker with heat not thinner.

With 225k on the clock you cant really use that survey as it will not allow for the wear in your engine. you need to be going thicker with heat not thinner.
Definitely true - It's on my agenda to reassess since I'm throwing a few mods into the mix, which is part of what attracted me to this thread. Really appreciate all of the good info you all are sharing.

Appreciate the feedback! Glad to see the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 European Car Formula came in 15th out of the 250+ that were tested, but seeing a 5W30 that scored higher leaves me to wonder if I should give that one a shot for a cycle or two and see how the car likes it! I have to try to track down those findings - looks like it would be interesting to peruse, and could be helpful toward guiding future decisions.

Increased viscosity does not dictate oil film strength neither does increased viscosity mean better heat management , many misconceptions with this subject.

What increased viscosity does give is slower circulation with cold start up and that is where most wear occurs .

What people don't know is when cold a 5W50 is way thicker than a 5W40 / 5W30 .

By the way I have been choosing which oil to use for a very long time Amsoil vs Mobil 1 and after doing a little research I chose Mobil 1. I think it has more advantages. I have been using it for quite some time and the car runs great:yellowrs4::rockwoot::yahoo:

Not true! All 5w will be exactly same on cold, you want it thinner go for 0w. Old unaducated mechanics recommend thicker oil (usually semi synthetic or mineral) with higher mileage which is the stupid move as 10w or 15w is too thick on cold and does absolutely no difference on hot. For worn engine you need better oil not worse to kill it. I recommend 5w40 for 2.0pd same as 1.9 especially high mileage, less oil usage. Always dedicated for PD

Last edited:
Not true! All 5w will be exactly same on cold, you want it thinner go for 0w. Old unaducated mechanics recommend thicker oil (usually semi synthetic or mineral) with higher mileage which is the stupid move as 10w or 15w is too thick on cold and does absolutely no difference on hot. For worn engine you need better oil not worse to kill it. I recommend 5w40 for 2.0pd same as 1.9 especially high mileage, less oil usage. Always dedicated for PD
I use 5/50. ,,,5 for starting, 50 with a larger IC for extreme temps with stg2+ thats producing 385 bhp at 7000 rpm

Works for me. :)

Not quite , a 5W30 will be actually thinner at cold than a 5W40 and like so with 5W50 again.

Totally agree with 10W and 15W serves no purpose and usually a lesser quality oil .

The difference between the two PD oils 5W30 507.00 and 5W40 505.01 between oil blenders/manufacturers @ 100°C can be as little as 1 negligible centiStoke , so the 30 grade can be thought of as a thick 30 and the 40 a thin 40 .

Due to do a full service on my s3 on S2+, and ive always used millers nanodrive cfs 5w 40 nt full synthetic engine oil from stock up until S2+
But now wondering if i should change it since im
Running much more power and seem to be burning through oil faster due to power etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Mobil 1 , 5/50 for the same reason and its been brilliant . my car drank 10/40 but now i use barely a litre a year between changes
Currently on 120k and its been APR 2+ since 48k and now its really loosend up its quicker than it ever has been.

Reactions: e9_mustii
I use Mobil 1 , 5/50 for the same reason and its been brilliant . my car drank 10/40 but now i use barely a litre a year between changes
Currently on 120k and its been APR 2+ since 48k and now its really loosend up its quicker than it ever has been.

Cheers Paddy ill definitely try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk