Under wheel arch treatment - Winter is coming!

Cuffy

Reaction score
This is my first winter as an Audi owner and I am concerned that the combination of a harsh winter, lots of road salt and material covered arch liners are going to result in some rust developing on my 9 year old sportback.

Is anyone taking an preventative measures? If so what and what products are you going to use?

Thanks

The bodywork will be galvanised like all Audi's are these days. Quite rust resistant compared to some models.
The Fabric arch liners are all about reducing road noise and also stop mud collecting every bit as well as a hard plastic item.
When I got my car 2 years ago I removed all the liners and cleaned out all the accumulated mud deposits from behind them.
This could present an issue. I also removed the foam wedge at the top of the inner front wing which looks very similar to an item that is present on B5.5 Passats and has caused many of them to suffer with corrosion issues on the front wing.
http://s019.radikal.ru/i602/1209/a0/7656d5473cb4.jpg

item 14 http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a4-s4-avant-quattro-a4q-eu-2009-82100-wings/

Mine is an A4 so not sure if you have the same kind of thing on the A3.

Thanks for your reply,

Interesting you mention the foam wedge as I had exactly this same problem with my former car (Seat Ibiza) and it eventually bubbled both front wings - I really want to avoid a repeat scenario.

I think I will have the arch liners out the next time I have it on the ramp give them a good clean and remove any deposits in the arches.

Thanks for checking, I will definitely have the arch liners out and check for foam blocks whilst having a clean.

Had the wheels and arch liners off yesterday uncover around 1-1.5kg of mud each side.

Also found the foam as previously mentioned so good to get them out.

Cleaned under the arches and applied bilt hamber dynax to keep the rust away.

Definitely time well spent

It's mainly the A4 B6's 2001-2004 which suffer from the arch issues. Audi were doing a lot under warranty but seeing as the B6's are are the end of there corrosion warranty they squirm out of the claims these days.

My wings are shot! I'd post pictures but then it would cause grown men to cry worldwide.

I'm not a perfectionist so I'm avoiding spending out on fresh paint as I would literally curl up in a ball if anything marked the paint, and in this world you unfortunately know it's going to!

I'll keep an eye out for 2nd hand replacements and then do all the above to try and prevent it happening again.

I think another is to trim the arch liner slightly so it can't rub, also slapping on some stonechip paint on the inside of the arch.