Understanding and updating MMI

8vs3

Reaction score
So I've had my 2014 S3 for 3 weeks now, and love every aspect of it, apart from trying to find information on the MMI, how to identify which version I have, and now I can go about updating it all (by myself).

My current software version is: MHIG_EU_AU_PO337

Any info on how I know which MMI version I have and how I can go about updating it myself is appreciated!

So I've had my 2014 S3 for 3 weeks now, and love every aspect of it, apart from trying to find information on the MMI, how to identify which version I have, and now I can go about updating it all (by myself).

My current software version is: MHIG_EU_AU_PO337

Any info on how I know which MMI version I have and how I can go about updating it myself is appreciated!
Looks like you have MMI High, ie Technology Pack, with an early version of software and your unit has never been updated since leaving the factory. You cannot update this yourself as in order to do so correctly you will need to use both an official update SD Card, which can only be ordered via trade, and the dealership tool to start and complete the process.

Looks like you have MMI High, ie Technology Pack, with an early version of software and your unit has never been updated since leaving the factory. You cannot update this yourself as in order to do so correctly you will need to use both an official update SD Card, which can only be ordered via trade, and the dealership tool to start and complete the process.

Perfect, concise answer I was looking for!

Is it worth upgrading to latest firmware/maps versions?

Perfect, concise answer I was looking for!

Is it worth upgrading to latest firmware/maps versions?
Firmware should have bug fixes but a change log / release notes are never published so its hard to tell what an update might include. Standard rule of thumb with Audi is.... if it aint broke then don't fix it. Audi will not update unless its to fix an issue, and said issue has an internal note which instructs the technician to do so.

Navigation data is always worth an update, which you can do via myaudi.com for the Technology Pack system. First 5 updates are free, then you have to pay. Audi issues x2 navigation updates a year so the previous owner of your vehicle might have used these up already.

There is an annoying bug which is bothering me with my Bluetooth at the minute.. having two devices connected makes the audio playing glitchy, cut out and generally unusable. Audi is refusing to fix it FoC and insist that a firmware upgrade won't fix it, and will potentially cause other components to stop working. As a software dev by trade, I know this is a load of crap :suspicion:

I actually did the online registration and have tonight begun the downloads of the 2016 maps, with a message saying the 2018 maps are available to purchase from a dealer, annoying!

@DJAlix
I see this on myaudi.com

Please note the following:

1.The latest map updates can be downloaded here free of charge and then installed in the vehicle via SD card. You can download and install the updates an unlimited number of times. The Map Update includes the first five updates to the version of the map installed at the factory. The updates are issued every six months.
Doesn't this mean that all map updates are free (and not just the first 5)? Not sure if I'm getting confused by the wording as it then mentions 5 updates from the factory...?

And hey @8vs3 as someone who tests software I know that when devs fix one thing, it can break something else :p I also wouldn't have much faith in Audi. Not convinced they understand the software in their cars too well...

Not sure how quickly road changes are implemented into the map updates also. I'm on the most up to date version but an A road that had a name change last February is still shown incorrectly...(A12 between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft became the A47).

There is an annoying bug which is bothering me with my Bluetooth at the minute.. having two devices connected makes the audio playing glitchy, cut out and generally unusable. Audi is refusing to fix it FoC and insist that a firmware upgrade won't fix it, and will potentially cause other components to stop working. As a software dev by trade, I know this is a load of **** :suspicion:

I actually did the online registration and have tonight begun the downloads of the 2016 maps, with a message saying the 2018 maps are available to purchase from a dealer, annoying!
You are prolly out of warranty, maybe, so they will not fix much FoC and Audi dealerships hate works like this as they make more money from doing services than software works. Warranty works will see a dealership get paid for approx 1.5 hours of work to update the firmware as thats how long Audi say the works take. In the real world the update takes up to 3 hours but a dealership can only ever claim the allotted 1.5 hours. As for the won't fix and cause other options speak thats just the dealership trying to put you off as they don't want to do the job.

@DJAlix
I see this on myaudi.com

Doesn't this mean that all map updates are free (and not just the first 5)? Not sure if I'm getting confused by the wording as it then mentions 5 updates from the factory...?

And hey @8vs3 as someone who tests software I know that when devs fix one thing, it can break something else :p I also wouldn't have much faith in Audi. Not convinced they understand the software in their cars too well...

Not sure how quickly road changes are implemented into the map updates also. I'm on the most up to date version but an A road that had a name change last February is still shown incorrectly...
"The Map Update includes the first five updates to the version of the map installed at the factory"

You can download the maps which you have access to as many times as you like, ie re-download them if needed but as the above says you only have 5 free "version" updates.

Reactions: oli356