Understanding Mmi

Ja5on

Reaction score
OK folks, just got round to having a wee play with the Mmi.

I currently have a Sony Z5c android phone. I've connected through Bluetooth, made calls and streamed Spotify music.

Annoying I can't change tracks via any of the car controls.... Yes. But not the end of the world.

So my next question.. Is there any difference in having Bluetooth connected or having my phone linked via Mmi cable. If there is a difference please read on.

I plugged in the Mmi interface cable with the USB end and plugged my phone and cable into that. Couple seconds later another source pops up on the display. Happy days..... no.

It says the source is not recognised. Is this because I haven't granted a permission, downloaded an app?

I currently have a Sony Z5c android phone. I've connected through Bluetooth, made calls and streamed Spotify music.

Annoying I can't change tracks via any of the car controls.... Yes. But not the end of the world. .......

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Annoying I can't change tracks via any of the car controls.... Yes. But not the end of the world. .......

Which model? The red circled controls change track in the FL (Bluetooth, Spotify)
Unless affected by the version of bluetooth running on your phone... what version of android?

9c87f47c50a8946c727d616acb82baf0.jpg

Ahh sorry it's a 2015 S3

Which model? The red circled controls change track in the FL (Bluetooth, Spotify)
Unless affected by the version of bluetooth running on your phone... what version of android?

9c87f47c50a8946c727d616acb82baf0.jpg

Where did you source the paddle shifter extensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh sorry it's a 2015 S3
Does the volume dial have previous and next track icons either side of it? It should as my 2014 PFL does. If so you'll be able to change tracks by moving the volume knob either left or right. To clarify I don't mean turn but physically click it one way or the other.

Yes - I felt equally stupid when this was pointed out to me LOL.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
You can do it in the FL as well Emma yeah :grinning:

Reactions: EmmaJ
Ditto to the advice above. The volume knob can also be moved left and right (not turned like for the volume) which will change tracks. Also, you can set up the little * button on the steering wheel to change tracks. I have mine set to this and find it a good option as you dont have to take your hands off the wheel. As your is a PFL then i think you wont have the option like in the foto above in Post Number 3.

Im not sure the difference with a phone connected via MMI lead or via bluetooth. My connections are the same with both options but obviously via the lead it enables it to be charged. I have an unofficial ebay lead though so this might be why i get no options via the lead, apparently they can be sensitive and require different leads for different options.

Well I never, all the A3's, S3's and RS3's I've driven... never have I realised the volume button is a skip button! :tearsofjoy:

I'm sure I've spoken about the skip markings too before, but never realised it did that.

Reactions: Ormesome
Well I never, all the A3's, S3's and RS3's I've driven... never have I realised the volume button is a skip button! :tearsofjoy:

I'm sure I've spoken about the skip markings too before, but never realised it did that.

Lol..! I can't believe you never had a fiddle even after seeing the markings.

My 2014 A3 doesn't have the skip markings on it??
Just so we're clear this is the volume control knob by the gear lever on the centre console, not the steering wheel

Reactions: AudiNutta
Lol..! I can't believe you never had a fiddle even after seeing the markings.

I'm sure I have before but obviously tried to move it in the wrong way and chose not to try further in case of snapping it haha.

I'm disappointed with myself, haha.

Reactions: Supa Koopa
When my Sony mobile is connected via Bluetooth I cannot control the music via ANY buttons on the car. Even the skip function on the volume control. The only way to skip tracks is physically on the phone. This also goes for selecting tracks.

Only functionality on the Bluetooth I have is to scroll through contacts etc.

As for the Mmi cable, I have one with a USB end to which I have plugged in the Sony cable for my phone. When I do this I get a this source is not recognised message coming up. Do I need to have the Mmi app installed aswell?

Android version 7

When my Sony mobile is connected via Bluetooth I cannot control the music via ANY buttons on the car. Even the skip function on the volume control. The only way to skip tracks is physically on the phone. This also goes for selecting tracks.

Only functionality on the Bluetooth I have is to scroll through contacts etc.

As for the Mmi cable, I have one with a USB end to which I have plugged in the Sony cable for my phone. When I do this I get a this source is not recognised message coming up. Do I need to have the Mmi app installed aswell?
Hmm well I do have the Audi apps installed on my phone now sure that they are the secret sauce that makes my Spotify work and able to skip tracks. I'm running a Samsung S7 on android 7 but it also worked on android 6 as well. I connect via Bluetooth rather than the AMI cable.

What version on Android is your Sony running?

Android 7.0.

When connected on Bluetooth on the dash screen on the Bluetooth menu it just comes up as unknown in the title and music audio source below

Android 7.0.

When connected on Bluetooth on the dash screen on the Bluetooth menu it just comes up as unknown in the title and music audio source below
I'd say delete the pairing and retry. When mine is paired it comes up with the Bluetooth name of my phone.

Think I may need to change from Sony lol.

Been through all Bluetooth connection permissions and allowed them.

The name of the phone comes up in the Bluetooth source which is a start.

No track details or anything though when playing music, it's just shows external media source.

Maybe I'm just wishing too much from the cat compared to the aftermarket headunit in the last car.

Just a shame that with the phone connected via cable I get less options than Bluetooth

No track details or anything though when playing music, it's just shows external media source.

Maybe I'm just wishing too much from the cat compared to the aftermarket headunit in the last car.

Just a shame that with the phone connected via cable I get less options than Bluetooth
I'll see if I can post a video of my phone, Spotify and car integration via my iPad. So you can see what you're missing out on

Could this be related to the app that you are trying to use to play music?

I'm fairly sure that there is a stock "music" app on Android phones... is that what you are using?

... for clarification I use a Windows Phone(one of the 10 people in the country that do!) and I have known this happen on occasion as well.

It has usually been down to the stock music player(in my case Groove Music) being updated and unfortunately breaking some of the functionality.

This can happen all the time... for instance my app was updated recently and I can now toggle the "shuffle" function via the MMI - this had worked on WP7 & WP8 but was broken on W10.

Don't give up hope!!!

Everything else is ergonomically perfect and super intuitive in the Audi apart from this!

Just Spotify I'm using. Don't use any of the phone generic music players

Just Spotify I'm using. Don't use any of the phone generic music players
Do you have root on your phone?
Sound specific to the Sony to have.
Bring able to sideload an updated Bluetooth library may help... but probably limited by the phone hardware.
Assuming you've tried someone else's phone to verify its not the car, and you can get the full functionality talked about here?

I'm headed offshore so will have more time to play with it when I'm back.

Will make a point of using another android phone.

I don't have root on my phone sadly.

Drop the Sony over the side of the rig and get an S8 when you're back on dry land

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Haha thinking about it. Beginning to think it's solely a Sony with Android 7 issue.

I found my old HTC M8 (2014) and just took that to the car. Setup Bluetooth and bang, the functions tab on the bottom of the screen is there. With the Sony it's blacked out

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and EmmaJ