Unicorn Motor Development Tdi 150ps Remap

squiretolley

Reaction score
I've owned my A3 for nearly 18 months now and I've always wanted a bit more power, so I decided to go for the custom remap from Unicorn Motor Development. To my knowledge this is the only custom remap via OBD available at present.

I've always been a little nervous about remaps with my only previous experience being a tuning box (which I wasn't overly impressed with). Anyway after lots of questions to Rick@Unicorn Motor Development I felt comfortable to go for it.

Can I just start by saying how amiable and knowledgable Rick is, he really knows his stuff! He talked me through custom remaps and it blew me away how much effort Rick has put into developing the maps for the new Audi engines....this guy is an engine management genius! I now have some understanding of what goes into a proper remap and to be honest I would never touch a tuning box again knowing what I know now.

Rick spent about 5 hrs on my car, gradually increasing power and torque on the dyno. We ended up with 191ps, which I was more than happy with. Rick is extremely conscientious and felt that this was a nice and safe, DPF friendly figure.

Rick and I went out for a test drive for about 20mins and the car is a total transformation! The power delivery is so smooth and just what I was looking for. I certainly enjoyed the odd overtake on the way back home through Buxton and Ashbourne.

I can't speak highly enough of Rick and his work. I would without hesitation recommend a trip over to Stockport to get your car remapped.

Feel free to ask any questions, although I'll leave the technical bit to Rick!!!

Thanks again Rick.

Reactions: desertstorm
How much did it add to your insurance? Always consider getting this done but insurance dependent, and still a bit wary about it.

£35 on my annual premium. It's in the 21-30% performance increase bracket.

YOLO as the kids say! It's in a different league to the DTUK box I used to have.

What's your new 0-60? And how much was the remap?

I'm just concerned it could load to various parts failing sooner... it's DPF friendly, what about the DMF?

Not sure about 0-60, but it's a 7ps increase on the 184 engine so I reckon very low 7's.

The map is 'safe' full stop. I've every confidence that it's well within the safe limits of the engine, gearbox and all the components. Rick's a very clever guy with an extremely good reputation in the remapping world, so in trust in what he's done.

Very nice figures I've heard nothing but good words of ricks work, will this throw up TD1 at the dealers or has he managed to get round it?

Yes he's a very talented guy.

Not sure about TD1 TBH, but he's in the process of developing an OBD flasher that will re-flash the original map. Apparently he can put up to 5 different maps on the flasher so you could have the adjustability of the latest tuning boxes.

Hopefully Rick will be along at some point and can answer the TD1 query.

Just checked some of my PM's with Rick where I asked about the TD1 flag....Apparently if the original map is re-flashed no TD1 flag will appear.

He said the personal flasher will be out around Christmas, so you would be able to do this yourself. Worst case until then you'd have to go back to Rick for him to re-flash it.

If that's the case with the TD1 with the flasher then I will deffo want one for the S3 when he develops that one unless he already has done. I'll look into it more when the car finally arrives, thanks for the info.

Can't really comment on fuel economy yet, but will do when I've covered a few more miles.

Hi, How are you getting on with this now?

I'm booked in for Tuesday with Rick.

Just wondered if the fuel economy has improved?

Cheers

Performance is fantastic! Can't comment on economy yet as I haven't covered many miles, but I have a suspicion there's a slight improvement.

You don't be disappointed! Be interested to hear what figures you end up with.

Well was down to see Rick yesterday morning, there about 3.5 hours.

First run on the Dyno (standard) reached 144 BHP or 145PS.

Second run after some tinkering achieved 177BHP or 179PS

Final run, which was 197 BHP or 200PS

Rick took the car for quick spin first to check it drives ok, then I took it out for a quick lap of the M60, didn't really give it too much as was busy on the motorway, but felt great.

On the way back to Aberdeen gave much more of a opportunity to experience the extra torque and power. It didn't disappoint.

The power delivery is so smooth and the in gear power, even in 6th, is brilliant.

Well worth the £400, and the 900 mile round trip.

Reactions: desertstorm
I think it would kill my insurance premium at the moment to do this... but really want to give it a go in a couple of years maybe.

I think it would kill my insurance premium at the moment to do this... but really want to give it a go in a couple of years maybe.

Don't see why it would TBH. My premium went up by 20%, from £150 to £180. Not all insurers will accept modifications, but esure did for me.

I'm not too worried about the insurance premium, it'll likely be minimal.

I'm more wary about raising a TD1 flag, if I take it into a dealer for a powertrain related fault, and they could say that the re-map was a contributory factor..

It would be a trip to Stockport to get it re-flashed to stock before taking it in, but if I've broken down and recovered straight to the dealer, I wouldn't get the opportunity to do that first.....

Reactions: cuke2u
Mine is still quite a lot - only had my licence 5 years so still building up the no claims, and always seem to get expensive insurance for some reason!

I know a couple of other people who have been shafted by their insurance companies after remaps (hiking prices massively after the initial premium increase, or even refusing to renew at all in one case after the policy ran out!)

I'm certainly waiting for the reflashing device to be out first - like you say, you might not always get the chance to get to Stockport to reflash it in time otherwise!

I'm not too worried about the insurance premium, it'll likely be minimal.

I'm more wary about raising a TD1 flag, if I take it into a dealer for a powertrain related fault, and they could say that the re-map was a contributory factor..

It would be a trip to Stockport to get it re-flashed to stock before taking it in, but if I've broken down and recovered straight to the dealer, I wouldn't get the opportunity to do that first.....

As already stated, no TD1 is raised because it is a remapped original version of the map from the car....

No, that is incorrect.

If the remapped version is on the ECU, it will have a different checksum to the version that left the factory = TD1 flag.

If the original version is on the ECU, it willl have the same checksum to the version that left the factory = no TD1 flag.

Every software version has a checksum, which is a digital signature. Change the contents of the software, and the checksum changes. The checksum is stored at Audi HQ's server. When the car is connected to the dealer diagnostic machine, the checksum is periodically compared to what is stored on the server. If the two do not match, TD1 is flagged. This does not void warranty directly. There are legimate reasons for the checksums not to match - for example a software update that is not done by a dealer connected to the server. If the car has engine issues, and there is a TD1 flag, then this MAY be investigated.

By flashing back the original software, then the checksum is original.

The personal flashing device will allow you to re flash the original map back onto the ECU, much the same as the bluefin device.

Rick will confirm, but he told me they would be available around Christmas.

No, that is incorrect.

If the remapped version is on the ECU, it will have a different checksum to the version that left the factory = TD1 flag.

If the original version is on the ECU, it willl have the same checksum to the version that left the factory = no TD1 flag.
Whatever, doesn't detract that the person performing ecu remaps has stated it doesn't...
" The situation with TD1 is as follows:<br /><br />Every software version has a checksum, which is a digital signature. Change the contents of the software, and the checksum changes. The checksum is stored at Audi HQ's server. When the car is connected to the dealer diagnostic machine, the checksum is periodically compared to what is stored on the server. If the two do not match, TD1 is flagged. This does not void warranty directly. There are legimate reasons for the checksums not to match - for example a software update that is not done by a dealer connected to the server. If the car has engine issues, and there is a TD1 flag, then this MAY be investigated. <br /><br />By flashing back the original software, then the checksum is original."
To which you posted that if it didn't show a TD1 you're in. However I think I might have confused the issue by saying that the remapped ecu will not raise a TD1 when I should have put that flashing back to the original, unmapped ecu map will not have a TD1...

Last edited:
I think you are confused full stop! Your first reply makes no sense, but you seem to be agreeing with everyone else in your latest reply!

Yep. I didn't understand any of that !

It doesn't matter, I know what I'm going to be doing :)

Reactions: cemerson
I'll be taking a look at it at insurance renewal time perhaps.

I think you are confused full stop! Your first reply makes no sense, but you seem to be agreeing with everyone else in your latest reply!

I guess I knew what I was on about, it just came out of my fingers wrong in my post #22. But yes I am in agreement...