Unicorn Self Tune System

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Unicorn Motor Developments Self tune System is now available the Audi S3 8V up to MY19 i.e. any non GPF car. We can only tune GPF cars in house.

This allows you to install Unicorn software yourself using a handheld tablet.

The software is semi-custom. You tell us the spec of the car, the fuel grade, intended use or car and we will write a file to suit based on the experience of tuning 1000’s of similar cars in house. For example it could be a medium torque Stage 1 tune for 95 octane, or a Stage 2 tune to with linear delivery to suit track work.

Up to 5 maps - including the standard map - can be stored and freely switched between as many times as you wish. Additional maps are changed at £49,99, if for example you would like both a high and low torque map.

How it works:

Plug the handheld touch screen device into your OBD port. Wait for the device to power up, and then tap diagnostics and the device will read any DTC or trouble codes. Then click on tuning and follow on screen instructions to read your ECU and save the contents to the device. You can now unplug from the OBD port.

You will be given a link to Unicorn Desktop software which you need to install on your Windows PC/laptop. The PC/laptop does not have to be connected to your car. Once installed, run the Unicorn Desktop software and plug the device in to a USB port. Follow the onscreen instructions to download your original map from your tablet.

Email us this file along with your full spec list along with your requirements and we will email you a tuned file in return.

Upload the tuned file to your handheld using the Unicorn Desktop Software.

Plug the device back into your car, tap tuning and follow the instructions to flash the new tuned software onto your ECU. The device can store 5 different tunes and you are free to switch between them as you wish e.g. standard, 95 octane, 98 octane.

DSG is currently not supported. You are free to use any other DSG tune, you must tell us if you have DSG software so we can tailor our software to suit.

Reactions: pburv
Are there any datalogger options? Or the availability to flash custom maps? I used to use mhd on my old bmw, which you will undoubtedly be aware of. It was a great system. We all relies on taking regular logs and uploading to datazap to ensure the health of our engines.

also with the help of logs, we were able to have a custom tune by any reputable tuner, usually guys in the us. They send a base map, you upload it and then log (3rd gear pull all dtc off) and then send it to the tuner. They make changes to the map, send a new file and the process is repeated. Or you edit yourself on tuner pro.

I’d like to see a system like this come available for the s3.

Unfortunately no built in logging, only DTC reading.

MHD etc make sense in places where you need custom stuff and there is simply no tuner within 1000 miles in some cases. In the UK you are lucky to never be far from a tuner.

If you have VCDS or an app that can do datalogging we are always happy to look at them and adjust as required. However these tunes are based on many hundreds of individual cars with many 100's of combinations of parts we have tuned in house so we know them inside out.

Rick

Being thick here? But what’s the price all in? Device and first map?

@Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

few questions if you will.

1) how long are the turn around times for maps? If bought today when would the tweaked map be uploaded for use?

2) can it be sold on once finished with or used on an RS when the time to upgrade comes along?

3) DSG question above still stands

Very interested as I’m about to have an APR map installed and your system seems tantalising :)

Hi Mark.

1. We usually send the map the same day it is received between Tuesday and Saturday if it's sent in the morning.

2. It is locked to the car so in order to use it on another car you will have to put the first car back to standard.

3. It's a possibility but no date at the moment. You can use any other DSG map if needed, or have i done here in house.

Thanks, Rick

Reactions: Marky79
Hi Mark.

1. We usually send the map the same day it is received between Tuesday and Saturday if it's sent in the morning.

2. It is locked to the car so in order to use it on another car you will have to put the first car back to standard.

3. It's a possibility but no date at the moment. You can use any other DSG map if needed, or have i done here in house.

Thanks, Rick
Excellent, thanks Rick. Any discount codes for forum members?

2018, Quattro. DSG.

Ok so with it being quattro you have the DQ250 gearbox which is much stronger than the DQ200.

You are on the verge of when they changed the engine ECU. The later ECU we can only do in house. The earlier we can do it via the STS. The only way to check would be to get the part number for the engine ECU.

Rick