Unlocking with emergency key

MOA4B9

Reaction score
For last 2 weeks I've been getting a message that the remote key battery is low and today it finally run out when I was driving. The car asked me if the key is still in the car? Bit if a strange question. Am I suppose to answer it? I couldn't lock the car so had to use the emergency key from inside the remote. The car locked ok but forgot my jacket inside so when I unlocked it the alarm went off. Luckily it stopped after a minute but the indicators continued to flash. Locking the car again did not stop it. I found it strange that it did that. Does the alarm always go off when unlocking with emergency key or is there something else that needs to be done? Luckily there was a Co-op nearby so popped in to buy a new battery and stopped the lights from flashing.

Under the arm rest there's a key symbol at the back on the bottom of it. You need to place the key against it so that the car can verify the key is inside the car (using RFID I assume). This should stop the alarm

Ok, I knew about starting the car by placing the key in that place but it didn't come to me that it will turn the alarm off. But the alarm will always start no mater what you do if opening with the emergency key?

Ok, I knew about starting the car by placing the key in that place but it didn't come to me that it will turn the alarm off. But the alarm will always start no mater what you do if opening with the emergency key?
I believe it's just because the car can't sense the key fob. My previous Audi required you to start the car for the alarm to go off so I can only assume this is the same.

The immobiliser system shouldn't actually use the battery, however I guess the car has a fail safe that sets the alarm automatically once the fob's battery is depleted for security reasons. Would have been simple enough to have changed the battery immediately the warning came up..

For last 2 weeks I've been getting a message that the remote key battery is low and today it finally run out when I was driving. The car asked me if the key is still in the car? Bit if a strange question. Am I suppose to answer it? I couldn't lock the car so had to use the emergency key from inside the remote. The car locked ok but forgot my jacket inside so when I unlocked it the alarm went off. Luckily it stopped after a minute but the indicators continued to flash. Locking the car again did not stop it. I found it strange that it did that. Does the alarm always go off when unlocking with emergency key or is there something else that needs to be done? Luckily there was a Co-op nearby so popped in to buy a new battery and stopped the lights from flashing.
My understanding is that the emergency key only opens the mechanical locks - it doesn't interface with the electronics (alarm etc.). Hence you seeing the issue/results you did.

Reactions: Kondax