Unplugging S3 Exhaust Valves "Mod"

JanekK

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this S3 8V Exhaust Valves Mod on a 8Y ? Any difference ? Any drawbacks ? Any fault codes ?
I'm not expecting much from that stock exhaust since it's pretty hopeless to begin with, but it does "pop and bang" at higher revs quite noticeably at times - so maybe it's worth potentially having that at lower revs as well (assuming the valves actually work the same way within the rev range as that do on the 8V).

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this S3 8V Exhaust Valves Mod on a 8Y ? Any difference ? Any drawbacks ? Any fault codes ?
I'm not expecting much from that stock exhaust since it's pretty hopeless to begin with, but it does "pop and bang" at higher revs quite noticeably at times - so maybe it's worth potentially having that at lower revs as well (assuming the valves actually work the same way within the rev range as that do on the 8V).
My valves have been unplugged from the day I took delivery of my S3 lol. I'm 5000 miles in now and the pops and bangs are much stronger and better sounding than that of the 8V.

My valves have been unplugged from the day I took delivery of my S3 lol. I'm 5000 miles in now and the pops and bangs are much stronger and better sounding than that of the 8V.
Did you just unplug them while in dynamic + some electrical tape ? or via OBD/pulled a fuse etc. ?
Any warning lights on the dash ? Any noticeable loss of power ? Any drawbacks whatsoever ? xD

Did you just unplug them while in dynamic + some electrical tape ? or via OBD/pulled a fuse etc. ?
Any warning lights on the dash ? Any noticeable loss of power ? Any drawbacks whatsoever ? xD
Engine on, cycles modes even if in dynamic to start with back to dynamic. Then unplug. I wrapped mine in a bag and covered the plugs. Unplugging the valves won’t cause power loss etc etc. no lights etc

Just fitted those plugs lunchtime. Easy to do just a bit fiddly. Cable tied loom out the way afterwards. Will see if I notice any difference on the way home.

Can confirm car is notably louder below 3000rpm. Not massively, just slightly deeper INMHO. In old codger mode at 30/40 mph its a bit deep for me. However, I drive in sport so not too bothered. if I was to do it again I wouldn`t buy the plugs I`d just use decent insulation tape and tie wraps. May look at non-drone res delete next.

Question to those who decided to use the tape:
Did you also tape the connectors on the valves module itself or just the connectors on the wires disconnected from the valves module ?

For anyone wanting a sound comparison of before and after:

Reactions: Ludus
Tried this mod and noticed that afterwards he Soundaktor was on dynamic’ in every mode, which was not what I wanted.

There’s a button you need to depress on the top of the clip.
once it’s pressed enough the clip slides off with little effort.

Reactions: SaraS3
Tried this mod and noticed that afterwards he Soundaktor was on dynamic’ in every mode, which was not what I wanted.
You can always unplug the Soundaktor. Haven't checked location for sure on the 8Y A3/S3, but it will be somewhere under the scuttle panel on the base of the windscreen. I unplugged it on my wife's Polo GTI+ as she didn't like it.