Unplugging S3 Exhaust valves

Do you have one of the first facelifts ? Def not switchable on my2018 cars

Got my car September 2017 so one year in from the first facelifted model. But to be honest I haven't experienced anyone having problems coding the exhaust flaps open all the time.

Got my car September 2017 so one year in from the first facelifted model. But to be honest I haven't experienced anyone having problems coding the exhaust flaps open all the time.

When I did mine is looked everywhere and couldn’t find anyone with a 2018 year to get it to activate. Same with facelift rs3. obdeleven have removed the exhaust flap mod from the apps. If I select an older car it’s there for 10 credits but select 2018 onwards and it’s gone. Pity as I purchased obdeleven just for this mod. I found a thread on the obdeleven forum of people asking and they just said the setting cannot be saved/applied

When I did mine is looked everywhere and couldn’t find anyone with a 2018 year to get it to activate. Same with facelift rs3. obdeleven have removed the exhaust flap mod from the apps. If I select an older car it’s there for 10 credits but select 2018 onwards and it’s gone. Pity as I purchased obdeleven just for this mod. I found a thread on the obdeleven forum of people asking and they just said the setting cannot be saved/applied

Think it's because you don't long code the option, like below. I haven't seen the option to do this in the apps section either for my car. Could this be the problem?

2018-03-01_08-31-37-jpg.149730

Think it's because you don't long code the option, like below. I haven't seen the option to do this in the apps section either for my car. Could this be the problem?

2018-03-01_08-31-37-jpg.149730

Assume I need pro version for long coding? I’ve got the blanking plugs in at the moment so will plug them back in and try again when it warms up a little.

Assume I need pro version for long coding? I’ve got the blanking plugs in at the moment so will plug them back in and try again when it warms up a little.

That is correct. Some guys with a RS3 saw some loss in power when disconnecting the exhaust valves because it would threw and error and make the ECU cut power at around 5k rpm.

That is correct. Some guys with a RS3 saw some loss in power when disconnecting the exhaust valves because it would threw and error and make the ECU cut power at around 5k rpm.

Any issues running with the blanking plugs in place? I have no fault codes when I scan with obdeleven so assume all is good? I ran a couple of months with them unplugged and then did 6 weeks with them active again and I thought it was my imagination but I lost 3mpg and about 30 miles to a tank (having active flaps). I unplugged the valves again 2 weeks ago and I’m seeing 40mpg plus on journeys again whereas I’d not seen 35mpg plus for a good while.

Anyone done a dyno before and after ? Much prefer the noise disconnected but can’t help but wonder if they have an effect on power and torque output. Surely they’re there for a reason other than to make the car quiet at slow speeds ?

Any issues running with the blanking plugs in place? I have no fault codes when I scan with obdeleven so assume all is good? I ran a couple of months with them unplugged and then did 6 weeks with them active again and I thought it was my imagination but I lost 3mpg and about 30 miles to a tank (having active flaps). I unplugged the valves again 2 weeks ago and I’m seeing 40mpg plus on journeys again whereas I’d not seen 35mpg plus for a good while.

Anyone done a dyno before and after ? Much prefer the noise disconnected but can’t help but wonder if they have an effect on power and torque output. Surely they’re there for a reason other than to make the car quiet at slow speeds ?

To be honest I don't know and it might just be connected to the RS3. I saw it in this thread: https://www.audirs3oc.com/topic/7957-disconnection-of-exhaust-flaps/

I don't think it does anything bad to our S3 but personally I would always prefer to disable the function of the valve instead of disconnection the valves.

Update to the thread. I can confirm my18 cars can be coded to open exhaust flaps. Upgraded to obd11 pro and it was very straight forward. No app to complete it like the 2013-2016 models but easy through long coding.

Also tried the throttle pedal mod to convert the pedal map from linear to direct and it’s a massive improvement. The first 20% of dead pedal has gone and just feels so much sharper.

Astounds me how much can be changed on these cars

Update to the thread. I can confirm my18 cars can be coded to open exhaust flaps. Upgraded to obd11 pro and it was very straight forward. No app to complete it like the 2013-2016 models but easy through long coding.

Also tried the throttle pedal mod to convert the pedal map from linear to direct and it’s a massive improvement. The first 20% of dead pedal has gone and just feels so much sharper.

Astounds me how much can be changed on these cars
Just tried again on my MY19 model and it still didn't work unfortunately. Also what are the steps to carry out the pedal mod?

Just tried again on my MY19 model and it still didn't work unfortunately. Also what are the steps to carry out the pedal mod?

I’ve attached the instructions from the post I saw on here

Attachments

• C560C65D-8C20-469B-83C5-0337015B9C01.png
    C560C65D-8C20-469B-83C5-0337015B9C01.png
    901.7 KB · Views: 342
Pretty easy to do and I did a little video on it but I have since bought an OBDeleven and done it with that so no error code comes up on the scan

Reactions: Gazjs
So OBD11 can disable/enable exhaust valves on PFL?

Yes it can.
1. Start car
2. Put it in drive
3. Put it in dynamic mode
4. Turn car off while in drive
5. Do the adaptation for valves
6. Enjoy the noise ;)

Reactions: HertS3
Thanks - I already enjoy the noise, might try re enabling the valves to see how that sounds. Presume I would need the pro version?

It says there are separate ones for facelift rs3 and as these work with pfl s3 and rs3 I’m assuming the facelift rs3 adapters will work with fl s3 too. I’ll fire and email to confirm though

did you get confirmation on this? I need to order a set for mine as it seems VCDS not an option for FL.

did you get confirmation on this? I need to order a set for mine as it seems VCDS not an option for FL.

Yea the s3, and rs3 pfl versions worked fine on my s3 facelift. Rs3 facelift has its own ones as the originals didn’t work with it

Did people not find they got a bit of drone at motorway speeds with this?

In D7/E7 it sits at 2000rpm on the motorway so would normally have valves shut I guess?

Or is it only between 1-3000rpm when pulling away the valves would be shut but in higher gears would be open normally?

I guess they would also be closed permanently on Economy or Comfort?

Have definitely noticed the difference low down.

Have come from an A3 1.4 and didn’t do much motorway miles before the mod so don’t know if it’s the mod or just the car is quite a lot louder on the motorway than the almost silent A3...

Last edited:
I presume you're FL as you have 7 gears - I'm PFL with valves disabled and res delete and the car does drone on the motorway (once you go over 70 it gets progressively louder). Valves should normally be closed at 2000 rpm afaik, should be closed between 1,500-3000 rpm or so.

Yeah FL with 7 gears. Haven’t done the res delete (unless previous owner secretly has) and from previous posts it sounds like this should stop drone. Would be keen to hear from others in same position.

If it is the valves then damn as I like it in town driving. When you put your foot down, 2nd gear at 2-3000 is awesome. At the same time I’m not sure I could put up with the drone on a long journey.

Shame you can’t adjust the valve management programme to have different times of open/closed.

Yeah FL with 7 gears. Haven’t done the res delete (unless previous owner secretly has) and from previous posts it sounds like this should stop drone. Would be keen to hear from others in same position.

If it is the valves then damn as I like it in town driving. When you put your foot down, 2nd gear at 2-3000 is awesome. At the same time I’m not sure I could put up with the drone on a long journey.

Shame you can’t adjust the valve management programme to have different times of open/closed.
Tell me about it - around £300 for a valve management system is way too much
I love it in the city, put my car in S and I'm pretty sure it can rival (if not beat) a standard RS car in terms of noise :) Got a compliment the other day from the Amazon delivery driver, he'd seen (and heard) me zooming around the area
Just a bit worried about the kids' ears when droning on the motorway, I've been debating re-enabling the valves but can't just get myself to do it lol

Tell me about it - around £300 for a valve management system is way too much
I love it in the city, put my car in S and I'm pretty sure it can rival (if not beat) a standard RS car in terms of noise :) Got a compliment the other day from the Amazon delivery driver, he'd seen (and heard) me zooming around the area
Just a bit worried about the kids' ears when droning on the motorway, I've been debating re-enabling the valves but can't just get myself to do it lol

Just treat them to some noise cancelling headphones

Not an expert but I would think that you'd need to clear the code with an OBD reader

Reactions: Gazjs
Yea I used these before I realised I could code them open with obd11. Produced no fault code

Anyone tried below or a cheaper alternative (other than tape - wanting something more suited)

For valves themselves https://vwpartsinternational.com/sh...e-protectors-blanking-plugs-new-custom-parts/

For loose cables https://vwpartsinternational.com/sh...oval-fault-code-off-wire-connector-new-parts/

it makes it an expensive MOD mind you. Anyone tried and tested that it doesn’t produce a fault code?

I used both of these although you only need the 2nd item to stop the fault code occurring.

It is unavoidable due to the method to not get the fault and have to reset it. The terminators means it won’t re-appear once reset.

I don’t think Obd or Carista work on the FL cars, believe unplugging is the only way.

Many Thanks,

think I will buy these then remove while off to keep the codes away and see how it goes

Many Thanks,

think I will buy these then remove while off to keep the codes away and see how it goes

I believe you have to start the car, cycle to dynamic and leave it running while you unplug the valves so they are unplugged while in the open position.

If the engine is off when you unplug they will be stuck shut.

Whats the downside of running the car in dynamic and in S mode where the valves will be open

I thought I read they are always open once the car is off, I may need to have another ready and then get Carista or something to clear once the plugs are installed

Sorry old post but thought id ask and get help here quickly.
Can i have the exhaust valves permanently open without causing any issues to the car, don't want any running or using more fuel or anything getting knackered.
I have vcds.