SQ5 Unresponsive start button

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I’ve got a strange little niggle with my SQ5. Every now and then, with no discernible pattern, I press the start button and absolutely nothing happens. No messages or warnings come up but the engine doesn’t crank. I have to get out, lock the car, and then unlock it again, and then it start. I replaced the battery in the remote and thought that had fixed it, but then a couple of weeks later, it happened again. I‘ve had the car’s battery checked and it‘s in good health and charging fine. The car is under warranty for about 15 days and I can take it to my local trusted garage to have it looked at and scanned for faults.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any thoughts on what might cause it?

Not quite to the extreme you have but when I had my 2018 SQ5, I had a similar issue and now thinking about it, I had this in my A7 too.
In both cases, the start button was replaced under warranty. Only real difference is your getting out/lock/unlock. In my 2 cases, it was more of just pressing it 2-3 times further and it would work.

Mine also was not all the time and it took a video recording to show Audi the issue as quite typically, it would never replicate with them. As such, no errors were ever logged.

Reactions: jdp1962
Not quite to the extreme you have but when I had my 2018 SQ5, I had a similar issue and now thinking about it, I had this in my A7 too.
In both cases, the start button was replaced under warranty. Only real difference is your getting out/lock/unlock. In my 2 cases, it was more of just pressing it 2-3 times further and it would work.

Mine also was not all the time and it took a video recording to show Audi the issue as quite typically, it would never replicate with them. As such, no errors were ever logged.
That’s helpful, thanks.

Quick update: it seems my non responsive starter button was down to me rushing the disarm sequence on my Autowatch Ghost-I. Since slowing down and taking more care, I’ve had no further problems.