unusual code ASB engine.

Bbflex

Reaction score
i know its not an a4 but its an ASB engine so hopefully someone will have an idea of how to rectify it please.

well i think my injectors are on borrowed time, i have just started to notice a lot of smoke on idle if i leave it sitting there for 5 minutes or so, a good thrash clears its lungs out but also fills unsuspecting peoples lungs behind me :mad: it also cut out not long ago and wasn't running on all cylinders resulting in me calling recovery out only when i got off the phone i tried it again for the car to bounce back into life like nothing had happened?!?!?! to top it all off no error codes reported, since iv driven it to work which is an hours drive and 25ish miles then back from london 120ish miles and around town today without a slight bit of bother apart from the smoke when idling for a long time.

i'll get a leak off test kit and find what are the worst ones as i'm a bit tight with money for another month or so, but apart from that i get this weird error code i'v had it since i bought the car, 16986 can anyone shed some light on it please? ross tech don't have it listed on there site with a description and iv googled it to know avail :( the other two are obvious just this one and it doesnt sound too healthy but then again iv not had any issues regarding running in the 12K iv done in the car and that code has always been present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Faults Found:

18278 - Transmission Mount Valve 1 (N262)
P1870 - 001 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 756 /min
Torque: 46.8 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Duty Cycle: 1.0 %
Voltage: 13.83 V
Bin. Bits: 00101100
Torque: 187.2 Nm
Temperature: 86.4°C

17953 - Throttle Valve Controller
P1545 - 002 - Malfunction - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 756 /min
Torque: 42.9 Nm
Voltage: 13.68 V
Duty Cycle: 22.1 %
Bin. Bits: 000
Mass Air / Rev.: 458.3 mg/str
Voltage: 0.000 V

16986 - Internal Control Module
P0602 - 001 - Programming Error
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Inj. Quantity: 0.0 mg/str
Time: 0.00 ms
Torque: 0.0 NM

so any ideas chaps?

16986 P0602 Control Module Programming Error/Malfunction
Control Module Programming Error

ECM not programed - ECM program - Faulty ECM - Wrong ECM

Make sure the engine ECU under O/S of bonnet under scuttle panel is not soaking wet due to blocked plenum

Last edited:
As far as I know Karl it isn't, it does pull well tbh but it's all speculation considering I have no idea on the history of the motor itself.

Is the car mapped ? May be related to a map on the ECU.

Karl what's the standard boost on the 3.0? As I can always log boost, or injection quantity

on another note can mpps pull the file off the ecu?

Not sure what the standard boost is on that car. On my car standard it's about 1.4-1.45 bar peak.
MPPS works on my car to copy the map so I see no reason why it won't work on that one.

Karl.