Updating MMI system online

/dev/null

Reaction score
Anyone managed it? I just get an error saying "error accessing update server".

You cannot update the mmi firmware yourself, only Audi dealerships can do this..

You can only update the maps.

Can use quite a bit of data, quicker to do via myAudi and a USB key

:racer:

How do I update the maps then? That's mainly what I wanted to do anyway.

Seems daft to have it on a user menu but only allow the dealers to do it.

How do I update the maps then? That's mainly what I wanted to do anyway.

Seems daft to have it on a user menu but only allow the dealers to do it.

Here's some light reading for you :)

http://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/audi-a3-how-to-perform-a-software-update-to-the-mmi-421124

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-b9-map-update.308506/#post-2921773

If you find the media isn't recognised (is greyed out when you try to select), I've personally found that formatting SD cards to exFat but USB sticks to NTFS gives the most success.

Make sure the files (for both map updates and POI uploads) are in the root of the media. I've been fine with having other files on the stick at the same time, but maybe move them into a temp directory first to be safe.

Last edited:
Only the 30 minutes they've quote for the download is American time only, here expect quite a bit longer.

Press Menu

go to Audi Connect

go to Software update

check the empty box for the map update even if it says zero MB

press Continue (or whatever it says to start the update)

and voila!

You may need to switch the car off a couple of times when prompted to park for the update to take effect.

I don't think you get the whole europe maps at 16gb, just your region..

I just connected the car to the home wifi and the maps were updated in an hour. My road despite being 2 years old is still not picked up however, but I can see the house on satellite view :)

I have tried connecting mine to my network but, apparently, the ability to link to a home network has been removed. There is no longer a link to search for a wifi hotspot..

I have tried connecting mine to my network but, apparently, the ability to link to a home network has been removed. There is no longer a link to search for a wifi hotspot..

No link on mine either! Shame, as it's an obvious way to get faster downloads (60Mbps) sat on the drive...

No link on mine either! Shame, as it's an obvious way to get faster downloads (60Mbps) sat on the drive...
Quite, I certainly would not update the 18gb full european map using the built in sim, it is far too slow at 10Mbps...

It'll be these nav updates over the Audi paid for data SIM that will bump the price up when they finally decide what to charge!

The car refers to my home network as a 'mobile' so believes it to be a mobile phone data connection. I just went to

Settings > Data connection > New

Selected the home wifi, entered the password and off it went.

Ok thanks for that, I will have look at mine but does this interfere with the internal Sims in any way?

Well I couldn't find 'new'.

Last edited:
I'll take some pics when I go out later, might not be worded New :whistle2:

This isn't what mine says, no integrated sim as it was just too early

Attachments

• IMG_4331.JPG
    IMG_4331.JPG
    997.9 KB · Views: 541
I think when the iSIM came along, they disabled the Wifi way of doing it. I may be imagining things (wouldn't be the first time) but I think someone on another forum about VCDS on MLB cars said it's a just coding thing though?

Yes I found the Wi-Fi client functionality (not hotspot) is disabled on MY17. Shame as that puts out the ability to use the Audi Connect wifi services for me, as I cannot be bothered to purchase my own SIM or the hotspot data plan from Audi so my phone can access the Internet via the car. I'd rather have the car tether to my phone - but never mind...

As for map updates, I did mine via the embedded SIM. Actually it's not too badly thought out, as I kicked it off and forgot about it - few hours later (after lengthy periods of parking) I got a notification that the update was installed! So it seem to have the ability pause / resume by itself. During these times that it was downloading I was still able to use the nav system.

This isn't what mine says, no integrated sim as it was just too early
This is what I thought, so, as others have quoted, the ability to connect to my home wifi has been disabled. I have though connected to my phone's hotspot which means the audi connect app on it receives parking information..