Q8 Updating VC in 2020 Audi RSQ8 to have dueling tachs in RS layout and Apple CarPlay (shown in VC)

1stRS

Reaction score
As the title states, I’m looking to update the VC in my 2020 RSQ8 to have the dueling tachs in the RS layout, rather than the boring old hockey stick tach.

I’d also love to get CarPlay in the VC like TTRS. There has to be a way, right?

I want this:
CCD0A2CF 6429 4460 A7D0 B561E6FBEA42

I have this layout now:
B0EE1702 6DDE 40D4 9035 3273D560A05B

I want this too.
F819CF35 ADA6 4C8B 9EB8 36A8BD32E52A

Its an interesting challenge, I haven't seen any VC software mods on any Audi, period.

You have presumably decided that you don't mind voiding the warranty on your car?

Correct.
On AudiWorld, we discussed that the VC’s lock after only a few miles which makes it impossible to change anything. There’s an Alibaba.com seller who will sell me a brand new VC with the tachs and CarPlay, but for 800 Euro - I want to see proof of concept first on a video. The seller couldn’t give me that.
I was thinking that the night vision assistant input could be utilized as a source cor CarPlay in VC- or even front and reverse camera feeds into VC- but I’m certain coding would be required. Kufatec does sell the wiring harness only for less than $200 USD.

My point is, the rainbow module got me thinking that these VCs can probably be jailbroken per se, with custom coding uploaded.

My point is, the rainbow module got me thinking that these VCs can probably be jailbroken per se, with custom coding uploaded.
No jail breaking involved. All the Rainbow module does is generate / relay signals which the VC needs in order to display information. Without the module the VC will still display, for example the engine data, but without the needed signals, which for this example would come from an engine ecu, the values displayed will be 0.

Audi smartphone interface is MMI screen display only unless, as per your example photo above, you have an Audi TT or R8 where the o on display in the car is the virtual cockpit. There 3rd party video boxes out there that can re route the MMI video to the VC.

the new 2nd gen Audi virtual cockpit locks at 1km. In order to change the display you would need to read the eeprom, edit and then upload the custom data. Not many can do this from what I have seen.