Upgrade S3 8L pfl cluster > facelift cluster

samuelh_888

Reaction score
Hello All,
My brother has a 2000 S3, pre facelift APY and the dash cluster is dropping pixels. It’s back in anew Zealand and it’s very expensive here to have the LCD screen repaired/replaced so I’m looking at getting a facelift cluster and sending it back.

From reading other posts I understand it’s easier to go from PFL > FL cluster but is it relatively straight forward?

Do we need immobiliser updates, keys, locks and coding or is it a straight swap? Do I need to match model numbers etc?

This is the current unit - it has the full LCD and no clock.
58E1E6A7 26EC 4493 8EAC 4FAB6B87C44B

I have done a search but pick up little bits and pieces.
Thanks in advance
Sam

that is actually a facelift cluster, the pre facelift ones will have an analogue clock.

that will be a direct swap, only the key (s) would require coding to the new clocks

Reactions: samuelh_888
Thanks for the responses so far All,

@Dohcwp would I need the SKC from the old cluster to update the new or, would the car identify the new code? Regarding the coding itself, can this be done via VCDS or more involved?

Thanks for the responses so far All,

@Dohcwp would I need the SKC from the old cluster to update the new or, would the car identify the new code? Regarding the coding itself, can this be done via VCDS or more involved?

vcds cant code, you'll need something like vag tacho

the difference between the one with the old s3 logo cluster that you posted is that its an immo 2 cluster and the clusters with the newer style s3 logo will be immo 3 (immo 3 clusters work in immo 2 cars but not the other way around)

you would only need the new clusters skc from what i can remember when i fitted my cluster.

Reactions: samuelh_888