curtis524

Reaction score
Have only had my 3.0 TDI Quattro Avant for 2 months but I do find the brakes let her down! It's a 2005 with no DPF from manufacture and it's had a REVO map, she goes :)

Managed to get the Front S4 Brake setup from a breaker on eBay for £200, with everything included to carry out the job. I am aware that this upgrade from 320 to 345 just required new carriers, but I dare you to find some! They are rare and about £80 a piece from Audi. So thought this was a bargain. I cleaned up and reused the discs and pads I received with this purchase as they where barely broken in and happened to be Brembo items!

S4%20Brake%20Package.jpg

Spent a couple of weeks in my spare time rebuilding them, new seals, pipes, braided hoses, 3 coats of Hammerite and a few cans of brake cleaner with wire brushes in the drill. Also got some genuine ATE anti vibration clips (eBay £6.50) and applied a couple of layers of PU Lacquer prior to fitting.

Primer and coat 1.
Brake%201.jpg

3 coats of Hammerite later and fully rebuilt with new pipework and hoses.
Brake%202.jpg

Now ready to fit :)
Brake%203.jpg

Clips Fitted
Brake%204.jpg

On the bus.
Brake%20Final.jpg

Some would say the colour is controversial, but if I've got big brakes why not let them be seen! Didn't think red on red would go. Currently got the Genuine RS4 Wheels in getting refurbished in Platinum Silver.

Will be doing the rear discs and pads today/tomorrow, with the Hammerite out again of course. Will also fit the braided lines on the rear too prior to flushing and bleeding the whole system with Dot 5.1.

Completion pics of my little project to follow...

Reactions: Sidrick, martin1984, Baka and 1 other person
Looks like a 1st class job chap, always nice to see an owner trying something different colour match wise.
You will certainly notice the upgrade.
Rob

looking good and a bargain at that price all in. Clean brakes take years off a car I feel and if you go with a colour that stands out all the better. I personally like the bigger caliper clip with an S line logo but to each his own.

20171105 133004

That was my old Tfsi S line which I went on to upgrade like you did but with carriers from Ecs. My Sprint blue S4 needs its calipers sorting but I'm torn as they should be gloss black which is a tad boring but I'm liking the stock+ look to this car, Yellow keeps calling though!

Reactions: curtis524 and Charlie Farley
Looks like a 1st class job chap, always nice to see an owner trying something different colour match wise.
You will certainly notice the upgrade.
Rob

Many thanks, I love the blue and the pics don't really give the calipers colour any justice, they are actually slightly darker in the flesh. I know they aren't exactly OEM, but subtle nevertheless behind my RS4 wheels :)

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Finally got around to doing the rears and flushing the whole system with DOT 5.1 yesterday. All went surprisingly well. After bleeding and flushing through with 1L of fluid, I repeated the process with another 1L until it ran clear at all four corners. The old stuff was extremely cloudy with a green tinge, not nice!!!

As for the difference, my God!!!!!! Don't know what caused the largest change, whether it be the 345mm S4 Front Setup, the Braided Hoses or the fresh Fluid, but after a little B-Road blast to get everything bedded in I must say my confidence in the bus has hugely increased :sunglasses:... They are fantastic, no sponginess, a firmer pedal and instant stopping with virtually no fade.

So here's the rest of the pics....

Stainless hoses fitted and brakes cleaned up.

Rear%20Clean%20Up.jpg

A couple of layers of Hammerite and allowed to dry overnight.

Rear%20Paint.jpg

Got a bargain on some Febi Bilstein Discs and Pads for £55, so got these all fitted.

Rear%20Fitted.jpg

The Gunson Eezibleed all set up and ready to go.

Gunson%20Eezibleed.jpg

Rears first.

Bleeding%20Rears.jpg

Check out the state of that old DOT 4 !!!

New%20vs%20Old%20Fluid.jpg

Prior to getting all the wheels back on, I got the power washer out and spent about 10 Mins cleaning under the arches, prior to a bit of lubrication on the unions and handbrake assemble etc.

So in two months, I've done the Timing Chain Tensioner (thread- phew that's a relief!) and have totally upgraded and refurbished the braking system.

What next :)

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Sandra
I think the biggest improvement maybe in the new fluid. Im considering doing this myself when it comes to replacing my discs and pads, im not sure how much off a difference the 345mm discs make one there own but as a whole package included braided hoses and fluid change i think its worth while.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
S4 setup does work very well but 18z upgrade is better still but all down to choice.

I think the biggest improvement maybe in the new fluid. Im considering doing this myself when it comes to replacing my discs and pads, im not sure how much off a difference the 345mm discs make one there own but as a whole package included braided hoses and fluid change i think its worth while.

Definitely do it... For the right price obviously. The 345mm take the same calipers and pads as the 320mm, but with a larger diameter disc they will dissipate the heat more efficiently. So this being said, I believe the size upgrade will only make the difference upon repeated hard braking and to minimise fade. However, as a previous own of many quick JDM cars, why have I not had braided lines before!!!!! Best upgrade yet....

I know what mean chap, my 18z setup came up at a good price so seamed mad not to do it and s4 setups worked nearly the same, so went with 18z.

Do the dust gaurds need upgrading to accommodate larger discs?

They don't need to be, as they don't get in the way... I see it as a little bit more cooling ;)

I do have a set of 345 guards however

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Hmmm... looks like have some work to do in the new year, the wheels need refurbing too, so will look mega with the new brakes...

Reactions: curtis524
It's almost been a week and everything is now bedded in, wow :) The old bus had become a late brake king, responsibly of course!

As for the blue brakes, which I haven't seen too many guys on here do, I have come to love them. I was influenced by the BMW M-Sport Brakes (I promise myself never to own one, blasphemy) and here they are behind the 18" RS Wheels.

Fronts

Front%20Refurbed%20Brakes.jpg

Rears

Rear%20Refurbed%20Brakes.jpg

Reactions: AvantAlexB7