Upgrading discs and pads - options?

Here are the pictures of fitting the AP vagbrembotecnic discs and Pagid RS4-2 pads:

Starting with the old warped and beaten up Brembo discs and pads:

The Brembo pads were well welded in here by brake dust:

Being a fairly new car the caliper bolts were easy to remove:

The Brembo pads, glazed after the wet track day adventures:

The source of all that squealing? The shims on the back of the Brembo pads:

The back of the Brembo disc, the inner pad had worn more quickly than the outer as also reported in another thread by Bilen:

Hub, Brembo caliper bracket and disc guard (these need to be removed with the AP discs otherwise they rub the disc, confirmed by Dave that this is OK and makes the disc cooling more effective, we only discovered this after fitting the first time so there is a time saver for those who follow this path!)

The AP disc mounting bracket, almost 1KG lighter than the Audi OEM item.

AP Disc fitted:

Caliper on the new bracket with the supplied lighter black bolts:

Pads fitted easily, slotted straight in:

Wear indicators only on the passenger side disc, no wear indicator slots on the Pagid RS pads.

Job done:

Wheels back on, looking good and ready to go:

Thanks to Paul at TL Development for the quick fitting and solving the problem with the disc guards:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, quattro81, robbiemac and 1 other person
Re: "disc guard (these need to be removed with the AP discs otherwise they rub the disc, confirmed by Dave that this is OK and makes the disc cooling more effective...)"

ABSOLUTELY right! A complete waste for a road/track car...

Hi guys what size are the oem front rotors ?

Thanks mark i should already know this lol any pictures of the front disk ?

Like this but from the front ...
04e406989d853edab8ccca9b3a157531_zps2a0316ce.jpg

I thought the front where a 2 piece ,rotors and bells but it looks like a one piece set up...

Here you go, OEM from is a 2 piece set up but the cast (? material) hub makes them heavy and more to the point subject to different cooling rates from the rotor and therefore warping.

Thanks mark ;) was not sure if the hub part comes off ,looks like it fixed in ...

Oh and the brake dust runs out of the AP grooves just perfectly on the AP set up, no pad material build up on the disc. So far so good and an proper test of endurance to come soon.

Mark whats your thoughs on the gtr ,compared to the rs3 ...having a moment ;)

Umm.. I love the RS3 but honestly there is no comparison worth making. A friend has just taken the (modified) GTR plunge, best described as relentless. I've resisted the GTR for a while but....

Are you thinking the same?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Yeah ,but there is a newer version and a very high price tag ..

From what I've seen in my friends 10 plate '480 bhp' GTR it's reasonably cheap to get to 600+bhp - way less than going Stage II on the RS3 for example.

About 3.5k to 4k including fitting vat and getting to tuner for stage 2 on the rs3 0-60 in 3.6 secs ..440 bhp not sure on torque figures ....plus coilovers and uprated arbs ...on all new parts...

Last edited:
Exactly 3.5-4K for 420ish bhp plus another c£2k for the coilovers and arbs for the RS3 - GTR can run 600bhp on pretty much a remap alone. I'd spend the upgrade cash on a remap and ceramic stoppers but that's just me and my track addiction!

600 on a map wow need to find out more ....

Good price, just check the tyres (£400 a piece and discs/pads - £2k+) before you buy! That said - go for it!

Reactions: Kelza