Upgrading from 59reg S3 to Sline 8V, What options and Which model ?? HELP

xtremedetailz

Reaction score
Right guys im stuck in a pickle...

Now ive got my 59reg in sprint blue with 46k on it and im after a nice new 8V. (got offered £12,200 as PX)

Ive got a budget of £27k (cant get a S3 8V for that) so have been looking at Slline sportback (as mine is a 3 door).

Now im confused as to what sort packages come as standard and what packages would be useful.

Alot of the time when you add one pack it includes others etc etc and this being my first brand new car ever i want to get it right.

I would love another quattro but they seem pricey and out of my budget so i guess its down to engine choice and options.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yeah i like my S3 and just love the Quattro system.

Id like a newer car in all honesty with warranty and no hastles for 3 years.

£200 short of £15k seems an awful lot for no Quattro, less power and security of a warranty. Keep the S3. However if practically now dictates your decision then go for it. Get on the broker sites and start comparing assuming they can also offer you the same amount for your S3. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: xtremedetailz
I wouldn't like to go from an S3 to an Sline, I reckon you would have a nightmare where your S3 comes alive and slaps you up!

Try drivethedeal as mentioned, a manual S3 should fall in your budget. Audi are doing some good finance deals at the moment which I reckon will dry up by September so take advantage while you can. Do you intend to buy outright for 27k?

Reactions: The Challinor and xtremedetailz
yes mate savings plus whatever i get for my car.

I was in a similar situation and after four years of the V6 thought I would get a used S3 outright then wait 4 years for the 8V S3 to go down.

However the Golf R/S3 deals lately have been too good to miss and it won't last long as they are simply hitting sales targets. When I got to spec the Golf R and S3 the prices were similar but the S3 just blew me away in looks and performance.

I suppose it depends what you want, for example a basic S3 or Golf R (has more options as standard but cloth interior); both come in at 27.5 and 26.1 from DTD.

What exactly are you after?

Id love a quattro system and they must be more fuel efficient than my S3 now.

Juts after the practicality of the 4 door but dont like the 4 door 8P.

I know there's always opposing opinions on this, but just to make sure you have considered all the options, have you considered PCP/finance?

I totally understand that normally the cheapest way of buying a car is outright, buying one cash for 28K, costs you 28K. Any form of finance, PCP or loan will cost you more, interest, simples :notme:

However you should ask yourself if you are genuinely likely to keep the car longer than 3-4 years? What's important to you, it is monthly outgoings? Or would you rather have keep cash in the bank?

If I had (and I'm probably going to get endless, do you understand finance/depreciation etc. here) £15K in the bank, I wouldn't be putting it all into a new car. I can comfortably afford £300-£350 a month to (in all but name) effectively rent my S3. Small-ish deposit and PCP payments. I know fine well I'll get bored, and want to change after 2/3 years, so will never really own a car outright.

I guess it all depends on your situation, I am always more comfortable leaving £15K in the bank in case of emergency, knowing it's there, while not struggling to pay my monthly PCP for my S3.

:unsure: ducks while the finance 'experts' tell me I'm doing it all wrong and have I considered this, and that, errrm yes, it's my life, my finances and I'll do what I damn well please with them :sly:

Reactions: jaguar1187, Sandra, Ecosphere and 1 other person
Cheers guys, i just never thought about finance or PCP because i haven't got the best credit history.

Had a big upset with my previous bank when i came out of work when i was paying insurance and they wouldn't help me.

I know there's always opposing opinions on this, but just to make sure you have considered all the options, have you considered PCP/finance?

I totally understand that normally the cheapest way of buying a car is outright, buying one cash for 28K, costs you 28K. Any form of finance, PCP or loan will cost you more, interest, simples :notme:

However you should ask yourself if you are genuinely likely to keep the car longer than 3-4 years? What's important to you, it is monthly outgoings? Or would you rather have keep cash in the bank?

If I had (and I'm probably going to get endless, do you understand finance/depreciation etc. here) £15K in the bank, I wouldn't be putting it all into a new car. I can comfortably afford £300-£350 a month to (in all but name) effectively rent my S3. Small-ish deposit and PCP payments. I know fine well I'll get bored, and want to change after 2/3 years, so will never really own a car outright.

I guess it all depends on your situation, I am always more comfortable leaving £15K in the bank in case of emergency, knowing it's there, while not struggling to pay my monthly PCP for my S3.

:unsure: ducks while the finance 'experts' tell me I'm doing it all wrong and have I considered this, and that, errrm yes, it's my life, my finances and I'll do what I damn well please with them :sly:

I'd totally agree, if you can afford the monthly payments, then although the actual cost might be slightly higher the flexibility and security of such a large sum in the bank would be my preference.

The OP must be saving a decent wedge every month, just stop that and pay Audi instead. :rock:

I think the OP isn't sure what he wants, he also needs to factor in running costs, insurance, fuel, etc then see where he's at.

If it was me, as it stands I would keep the S3 as it is a better machine that downgrading to a slower 8V.

I do know what i want now guys and after looking at the deals on getting a new one for £28k im thinking newer S3.

My car is paid for so is it worth double ?

I went from an A3 SLine though the 184 diesel to an S3, I don't feel I would want to do that in reverse. I'd certainly miss the S3 too much.

Reactions: The Challinor
I went from an A3 SLine though the 184 diesel to an S3, I don't feel I would want to do that in reverse. I'd certainly miss the S3 too much.

Always just had S3's, don't think I could drop down ever. I have constant need for each of my cars to be faster then the last, thankfully Audi oblige with the S3 haha

Reactions: jaguar1187
I went from a S3 to a new 8V 1.6 TDI, this was purely for the reason of buying a house thought. Massively miss the S3 but love the cheap diesel and hoping for a moving I'm date this month so was best desicion for me

Its twice the price of your current S3 but not twice the price of a new A3 sportsline..