Urgent HELP pls with arb!!!!

dan1973

OCD clean
Reaction score
Hi guy's ive recently bought an a3 tdi on a 99 plate. The said car when i got it had more knocks and rattles than an old cart. I dont do rattles as most of us dont so i set to work ive elimanated alot but i have one i cant get rid of. The car has a knock sometimes when turning into a bend. I changed the arb bushes and the drop links as the bushes where well and truley knackered. I no the knock is down to the arb somewhere along the line because as a temporary measure a mile down the road i went down a bumpr road without the drop links on and it was quite as a dye so put the new droplinks on and its come back. Now the car does have coilovers on and is lowered but only an inch around 35mm over standard. I told you thi as i notice some mention diferent links if lowered does this aply to me then. Thanks guys.:icon_thumright:

If you have the early ARB which loops over the driveshafts then it's hitting one of them. Take a look at the shafts and the thicker one will have a line around it in a position that corresponds to the ARB.

My car is lowered less than yours and still hits. I fitted slightly longer droplinks which I had made at an engineering shop. Or you can fit an aftermarket ARB with bigger hoops.

Or remove the ARB altogether and enjoy more neutral handling.

Thankyou very much for your help. So it's not dangerous to remove it then??

Depends on your driving style. Some people like a car to understeer, other prefer a more neutral setting. Audi set them up with an overtly hard front ARB in my opinion. You can try it and see how you like the feel (on a private road away from other people of course).