Urgent question regarding stereo wiring harness

Daggz68

Reaction score
Hi. I have an A4 b6 55plate cabrio without bose, but does have the useless satnav built in. I want to reace it with my pioneer head unit, but need to know the exact wiri h harness needed either bought from halfords or amazon UK.
The standard radio fitted won't pick up fm stations, but will pick up am stations.
Also its not very loud at all??

Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• 16513215438808799259540564483297.jpg
    16513215438808799259540564483297.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
Sorry, can't help with the correct lead but with regards to FM reception...I had the same problem when I got my S3 8L (no FM only AM) and I had to replace the roof aerial as there is a booster in the base of it that had failed.

When you fit the new headunit, if you still can't get FM, you may need to replace the aerial as well.
hth

Mine hasn't a roof aerial as it's a cabrio. Think there are two in the boot?

Typical fault with cabriolets is after years of opening and closing the boot the cables give out, so the radio is probably fine and replacing with an after market will give you the same or even a worse situation. It might not be the best solution for you but first of all test the cables from the boot to the radio, remove the boot trim and find the leads from the antenna amps, should be two of them that go to the radio, I would guess a mustard looking connector and possibly a white one. Use a multimeter to check for open circuit back to the radio end, no easy I know as the cable ends are very far away from each other to bridge with a meter. If you decide they are faulty you can repair them by cutting out the section through the boot hinges and feed two new pieces through and join them back up.

You may be lucky and the test will say they are OK and then maybe you need a new antenna booster for the boot. Or the power to the booster is dead, pretty sure it has a +12v feed rather than getting it through the antenna cable.

Not an easy job, but I cannot see another way for you to fix the reception in your car.

Another way would be to fit a windscreen antenna. Strangely there is one already bottom of the passenger side. Maybe that's the built in satnav one? I don't like the original stereo. Similar in the tt I had. I've another pioneer to fit for now till I decide to get a double din and change the cage too.
Messaged a car stereo shop and they charge £70 per hour!!!

Another way would be to fit a windscreen antenna. Strangely there is one already bottom of the passenger side. Maybe that's the built in satnav one? I don't like the original stereo. Similar in the tt I had. I've another pioneer to fit for now till I decide to get a double din and change the cage too.
Messaged a car stereo shop and they charge £70 per hour!!!
Sat Nav antenna will be in the boot as well. It's a very small antenna module and never built into the glass.