Urgent: Rear subframe compatibility?????

theblueflash

Reaction score
Sorry if this information is available already but I can't find it. Ive been led to believe that all quattro frames are the same and it is just the bushes which differ?

Didn't have any reason to question it so I bought a used frame ready for refurb.

I've since been made aware that there are 3 different part numbers for the rear subframe on an A4 b5 quattro. (A4/S4/RS4) This has caused me to worry as I have it ready at the powdercoaters and was about to order bushes. It is also booked in to have it all swapped over and the alignment done.

So ideally I need to know if there are any physical differences in the subframes otherwise I'll have to sell this one and buy another.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance

There was a change over in 97. Not sure but the earlier ones might use the same subframe as a B4 which used different length control arms. That and routing of the brake pipes are the only differences. From then on all B5 a4 and s4 used the same subframe 8d0505235D. I think the part number ending in H is for air suspension so best avoid that and finally RS4 subframes will work too.

Thanks Dave. That does help. I've checked and if the seller was right it was off a facelift A4 Quattro. Apparently 2000?

That should be perfect so. Is it audi or an independant garage doing the job. Just be aware that you might need any replacement nuts and bolts or brake lines for the job. Im in the middle of doing mine at the moment. All nylock nuts should be replaced. Its worth giving a good look at the subframe bushes and the subframe bolts are tte bolts and idealy should be only used once. Il be reusing mine as the only places i could find them are in america. Alot of people have badly rusted shock turrets so check them too. Thankfully mine are clean and i decided to leave the shocks in place. Im replacing my arms and camber bolts too.

I've done a lot already including the turrets. I'm sourcing new bolts too but yes a local indy is doing the work.

Do you know if those ak Motorsport bushes are 2 part or single piece like the standard items?

I think they are single piece polyurethane bushings. Have heard mixed reviews of them transmitting too much noise and vibration to the chassis. New oem or lemforder bushes will tighten up things nicely over 20 year old bushings

I would do unfortunately they are NLA from Audi. So unless there are any kicking about its prob gonna have to be aftermarket of some sorts

This is from the lemforder website catalogue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180411-231444.png
    Screenshot_20180411-231444.png
    453.5 KB · Views: 409
Sorry to re open this thread but does anybody know where I might be able to get a rear subframe for a b5 Audi A4 Quattro Avant? Or what I may be able to use as a replacement. The car is a 97 and I am finding it extremely difficult to find parts for it. What other rear subframes might I be able to use? Does it matter if it is a manual or automatic that the rear subframe comes out of?