USB/AUX Sockets retrofit in Pre-Facelift A3

@DJAlix I am hoping you can both help.

I have just purchased the pre facelift A3 and installed upgraded MIB2 system - I am having the issue with the USB sockets - I have the double socket with AUX also - I purchased the wiring from Ali Express however it came with the green connector not connected and the red connector broken - I have another on the way however am making my own loom... I have the connectors BUT please can you help in layman's terms where each wire goes from the green connector to the black connector in back of the USB port.... I have wired the green connector with 5 wires as per the one from Ali express but please can you advise where each of these go in the black connector - Thanks in anticipation.....
Photos of the cables you have please

Photos of the cables you have please

See attached - from top left I have wired as per the cable received from Ali express - Top Left - White, then Red, Then Black, Bottom Left green, then black.

I presume like the wire from Ali express I also need a separate + & - that goes into power of the quad block.... as in image taken from Ali express attached...

My query is where in the black connector that goes into rear of the USB port do the wires from the green go ???

Also I noted from Sean's message above that maybe the wiring in the green is incorrect....

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Attachments

• Green Connector.jpeg
    Green Connector.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 723
CarPlay is via USB and power. Other connections are for the AUX

Excellent - ok on the black connector that goes into back of the USB port which connections are power please - then I should be done :)

I think it is pin 1 for positive and Pin 2 for negative but I have done this and not getting power at usb - it is not charging phone and have tried 2 lightening cables that I know work.....

Last edited:
A486DCBB 5463 41CA 96F7 4D9F080CAC9C

T12n = Grey
T12o = Green
T12m = Blue

*This diagram is for a specific type of connection so ignore RX and TX as I am not in a position to create one at the moment.

View attachment 214768

T12n = Grey
T12o = Green
T12m = Blue

*This diagram is for a specific type of connection so ignore RX and TX as I am not in a position to create one at the moment.

I have copied the red and black as in your image attached... so are you saying that it + & - ??? so do I connect those to pin 1 & pin 2 on the connector that goes into the back of my usb hub ?? if so that is what I have done but I don't get power....

Attachments

• 200915-b8aad03f65e422b24f276fdde4d8a78b.jpg
    200915-b8aad03f65e422b24f276fdde4d8a78b.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 585
View attachment 214768

T12n = Grey
T12o = Green
T12m = Blue

Ah me again - sorry misread the image - in the T12o section on your image I have red connected to Pin 3 (iPod detected) and black connected to Pin 4 (GND) however am getting no power from the USB ?

Usb configured correctly in 5F long coding?

Now there is a million dollar question as I am not that technological with VCDS etc.... I have someone do that for me - is that done through VCDS I guess ???

Now there is a million dollar question as I am not that technological with VCDS etc.... I have someone do that for me - is that done through VCDS I guess ???
Where are you based? Yes, a coding tool is needed.

Where are you based? Yes, a coding tool is needed.

I'm in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire - I had original MIB system in the car but have bought MIB-HS unit, 7" screen and control unit as well as the double USB hub - I would have thought that as it is MIB2 the usb would work as it wouldn't have been turned off OR is it because car didn't have usb before and it needs changing through VCDS first ???

Have you had the units component protection removed and the licences activated in your car?

I thought that had to be done through USB hence needing the usb to work... or is that done through VCDS too...

OK so here is a thought - I need to confirm that I am getting 12v from the power lead (green connector wires) before they go into the usb hub as I have not checked this as yet - would I be right in thinking that if I am not getting 12v then it will possibly be the long coding ??

The unit came from a 2017 A3 TDi so I think they had carplay as standard so I would have thought coding would be ok but I could be wrong... once USB connection works, licences on the car will be activated as we need usb to work to do the necessary I believe...

I am a novice and the chap doing my activation etc has done hundreds and he says that the usb is needed - is he wrong ?

Last edited:
I thought that had to be done through USB hence needing the usb to work... or is that done through VCDS too...
Does your unit have Audi smartphone interface on the menu, and what message is displayed when you select it? If yes and it asks you to connect a device then your USB port should be ok. If no, or it is but when selected it tells you to visit a dealer to activate then there is a chance your USB port is not configured correctly, hence no power. Myself, I would remove your unit to activate it on my bench and then set about configuring it for your vehicle so usb would not be needed. Anyway if you want to test for power just connect the live and earth to the MIB2 units live and earth.

Reactions: Stav4187
Does your unit have Audi smartphone interface on the menu, and what message is displayed when you select it? If yes and it asks you to connect a device then your USB port should be ok. If no, or it is but when selected it tells you to visit a dealer to activate then there is a chance your USB port is not configured correctly, hence no power. Myself, I would remove your unit to activate it on my bench and then set about configuring it for your vehicle so usb would not be needed. Anyway if you want to test for power just connect the live and earth to the MIB2 units live and earth.

Thanks for the reply whilst you sent that I was editing my last reply too lol...

It does have Smartphone Interface on the menu and if I remember correctly I can go to connection manager but it asks for wifi connection and does not see usb I think but I will check this in the morning...

Thanks for the reply whilst you sent that I was editing my last reply too lol...

It does have Smartphone Interface on the menu and if I remember correctly I can go to connection manager but it asks for wifi connection and does not see usb I think but I will check this in the morning...

Morning - please see attached images - I have added some info to the image named Voltage which is the diagram that you sent yesterday - I get 12v at the main inputs into the unit and when the green quad lock connector is attached for the usb power I get an output of 5.3v and can confirm I am getting that 5.3v at the black plug that goes into the USB port in the storage bin between driver and passenger... however still no power when phone connected into USB port (could the port be faulty - does the port have a fuse that could be blown ?? is there a way to test the port ??)

Also attached are the images from the screen showing the smartphone displays etc...

Any help appreciated...

Attachments

• Voltage.jpeg
    Voltage.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_4111.jpg
    IMG_4111.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 511
Need to check that USB port is configured correctly but last time I saw this it was an incorrect Fakra cable.

Thanks - the original Fakra cable is still in the car - shall I try that ?? Does that have to be connected at same time to get power ?? as I tried with just power cable connected and also tried with new fakra cable.... Will the old Fakra cable work that was connected to the original AMI interface ?

And when you say configured correctly do you mean through VCDS long coding ?

Last edited:
Need to check that USB port is configured correctly but last time I saw this it was an incorrect Fakra cable.

Just checked with original Fakra cable attached and still nothing although power is reaching the port - so I guess I need to check long coding... is that right ???

Also can you confirm that I am correct that Pin 1 is + and Pin 2 is GND on the port that goes into rear of USB port...

If that's correct then I will buy vcds and look at asking for support in checking before I buy a new USB port...

Just checked with original Fakra cable attached and still nothing although power is reaching the port - so I guess I need to check long coding... is that right ???

Also can you confirm that I am correct that Pin 1 is + and Pin 2 is GND on the port that goes into rear of USB port...

If that's correct then I will buy vcds and look at asking for support in checking before I buy a new USB port...
C78F67D4 55CB 4BB9 8245 59F81E6FFA36

You need to check coding but also overall continuity to make sure the cables are not faulty. I would also suggest speaking with your supplier at this point as something seems a little odd.

View attachment 214823

You need to check coding but also overall continuity to make sure the cables are not faulty. I would also suggest speaking with your supplier at this point as something seems a little odd.

Thanks - I purchased all parts separately - I was advised what was needed !!

As you can see the fakra I have does not have power like your image - I power mine from pin 1 and pin 2 of the connector at rear of port !! have I got the right port ??

Sorry for all the questions and appreciate your help. Image 4122 and 4123 are what I bought and the screen and everything else works fine - I also bought MIB 2 controls that work fine too... Image 4124 is the wiring loom that I was advised was needed...

Attachments

• New Fakra.jpg
    New Fakra.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Original AMI Fakra etc.jpg
    Original AMI Fakra etc.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 448
  • Rear of usb port.jpg
    Rear of usb port.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 467
  • USB Port part number.jpg
    USB Port part number.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_4124.PNG
    IMG_4124.PNG
    114.2 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
@DJAlix - the USB port I have is the twin usb and single aux HOWEVER will this be better for me - eBay item number 224309069758 ??

I think what you are going to need to do is get everything installed / run in and then visit a professional retrofitter in order to have the MIB units component protection removed, the units licences activated, unit coded to your vehicle and then have them check over the wiring and connections. What you have should work as long as its all connected and coded up correctly. No point in looking at additional parts, and as per your Ebay listing parts which are not for your vehicle, unless you have the basics done.

I think what you are going to need to do is get everything installed / run in and then visit a professional retrofitter in order to have the MIB units component protection removed, the units licences activated, unit coded to your vehicle and then have them check over the wiring and connections. What you have should work as long as its all connected and coded up correctly. No point in looking at additional parts, and as per your Ebay listing parts which are not for your vehicle, unless you have the basics done.

Thanks - yeah agreed - do you know any retrofitters in North Yorkshire area ??? or do you think you could do if I got it down to you but I would have to stay and hope to get sorted within the day... I just want it sorting or ill just put basic system back in lol - what ball park cost do you think art will be (appreciate its like how long is a piece of string but now working out if all this is worth it !!!)

hi, sorry my english.. i search cable to unit to double usb, please have link aliexpress, my car is audi a3 2017 facelift..thanks. i think have good news to hack unity.. i think is complicated but is possible..

Upload 2021 2 5 19 49 16

Upload 2021 2 5 19 48 31

i need cable for this usb.. can help me? i think aliexpress not have..

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-5_19-48-54.png
    upload_2021-2-5_19-48-54.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 469
Hello,
here is the pin out of the 6 pole connector:
1- KL30 (Battery+) red-black striped
2- KL31 (Battery-) brown
3- USB_VBUS green-yellow striped (iPod detect originally in preFL cars MIB1, red)
4- AuxIn_R yellow
5- AuxIn_LR- gray (in preFL cars, brown)
6- AuxIn_L green
Do you know what is the part nr# of the 6 pole connector?

Hi - on the connector (6 pin) that goes into the rear of the double USB port - which is Pin 1 & Pin 2 ??? or do you have diagram of which pin is which please....

Thanks

Hello, can you mark me exactly where I can install the red and black cable that are loose? I put a photo .. thanks

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-02-24-20-53-07.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-02-24-20-53-07.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 505
My Chinese friend says they are going here .. I'm going to try ..
red +
black -

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-02-24-20-53-07.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-02-24-20-53-07.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 530
Reactions: ivelliosy
My Chinese friend says they are going here .. I'm going to try ..
red +
black -
Hey there. Let's break the silence! :D I bought it from same seller, he recommended the rame pins you showed in here. Have you putted the wires in there? How did you fix it in place? They are not very tight if I put them there. :-/

I have put some terminals, which I bought in amazon, but they are a little loose, I am thinking of soldering them when I get it to work, for now I have not succeeded .. I think the Chinese cables have to be changed, tomorrow I will study the wiring, please if you get it put photos .. I'll leave you my instagram @terrortour
excuse my English.

Hi, Forgive my english
I would like some info please
I have a A3 2017 Facelift
i have buy this cable and this multiple usb (which I replaced the original)

HTB1ouaReMKTBuNkSne1q6yJoXXaK.jpg
upload_2021-2-5_19-48-31-png.215345

My original configuration is this

Audi A6 4G USB Aux In Anschluss Buchse

So I already have the 6-pin connector (illustrative photos)

I think I have to wire the 6 pin connector differently to make the usb power strip work

Where can I start?
Thank you very much